Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
NJReader
Edge User

Enabling Android Marketplace in the Android Emulator Summary..

Ok,

Just to sum it up, all in one place, so that I understand it correctly.

Step 1 - Download and instal the Android Emulator (following the appropriate thread).
Step 2 - Download and instal the Astro File Manager into the emulator (no thread I could find).
Step 3 - Download and instal the Android Marketplace (following the appropriate thread).

Am I correct so far?

Since I do not own a Droid smartphone, the part I am fuzzy on is: once I get an App from the Marketplace onto my PC, how do I use Astro to get it onto the eDGe?

As I understand, it could be up to 3 months before we see Android 2.2 and there has not been any mention of enTourage getting the Android Marketplace app from Google for the eDGe.

I would much appreciate the help. There are several free Apps I would really like for my eDGe that are only available on the Marketplace (such as: Kindle for Android, Nook for Android, Rhapsody, Amazon, BestBuy, eBay, as well as others).

Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
NiaTrue
Edge User

You can get the Kindle for Android app here, thanks to @OncTech. See the "Kindle for Android released.." thread for details.

Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
OncTech
Edge User

Here's how I did it:

Download and install the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html)
Start it up, and use it to make an AVD (basically, a "phone" to be emulated) using the options for Android 1.6. Make it, but don't start it up. Close the SDK program.
Download this http://www.4shared.com/file/16562474...ed/system.html Or this http://developer.htc.com/google-io-device.html#s3
Either way, get the system.img file. Place this in C:\Documents and Settings\{Your Directory}\.android\avd\{Your AVD name}.avd\
Turn the SDK back on, start your AVD with the "Wipe User Data" checked (turn this off for all subsequent uses).
The emulator takes a few minutes to start running, but when it does, you will have an android 1.6 environment with the Market in there already. You will have to put in a gmail account to get started.
Use the Market to install Astro File Manager and Dropbox.

You are ready now.

To obtain an free, non-copy protected app, use the market to download and install it. Then, use Astro to back up that app, which creates an APK file. Then, use Dropbox to upload the file. Access Dropbox from your eDGe to download the APK file and install it.

I learned this from here: http://techdroid.kbeanie.com/2009/11...-emulator.html

Last edited by OncTech; 08-26-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
NJReader
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
You can get the Kindle for Android app here, thanks to @OncTech. See the "Kindle for Android released.." thread for details.
Thanks for that Nia. That installed like a breeze.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
NJReader
Edge User

Thanks as well OncTech.

I will install Dropbox now and try the SDK this weekend.

Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
guyjack
Edge User

I just put Dropbox on my eDGe and my Moment...then I store my APK's in my dropbox...that way I can get files on all of my devices!

Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
kdonisi
Edge User

Got a link to the Barnes and Noble Android app, Nook? I can't seem to navigate to that through the emulator or any other way. I want it bad. Nook books are cheap!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
NJReader
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncTech View Post
To obtain an free, non-copy protected app, use the market to download and install it. Then, use Astro to back up that app, which creates an APK file. Then, use Dropbox to upload the file. Access Dropbox from your eDGe to download the APK file and install it.
I have completed all the steps, except Astro FM cannot find the installed apps so I can back them up.
Is there some trick to it?

**EDIT** When I use Astro to search for an app, it freezes when it tries to search "/system/lost+found"

Last edited by NJReader; 08-28-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
NJReader
Edge User

Thank you all for your help.

Followed the instructions and was able to download and install the Apps I wanted.

Apps successfully installed and working on my eDGe:
. Amazon
. eBay
. iHeart Radio
. Nook for Android
. Rhapsody (beta)

Next, I am going to follow the thread on converting a couple of them to full-screen.

I installed the Rhapsody (beta), but I could not get it to recognize my eDGe as an "mp3 player" so that I could transfer my albums to it. I guess because its a "beta".

Thank you again, everyone.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
mapollie
Edge User

Can anybody help? I followed the intructions to get android market on the Andriod Emulator. Every time I connect to the market, on the Androd Market Terms of Service screen I get the message

Attetion: An error has occurred. Please try again later.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
fgruber
Edge User

I think I'm getting the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapollie View Post
Can anybody help? I followed the intructions to get android market on the Andriod Emulator. Every time I connect to the market, on the Androd Market Terms of Service screen I get the message

Attetion: An error has occurred. Please try again later.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
LarsonMattr
Edge User

When I tried, same error - I think this entry into the Market was closed by Google..

Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
mapollie
Edge User

Any idea for a new entry?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
OncTech
Edge User

My install still works, just tested it now. Thing is, I don't know what's going wrong with your attempts and I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. I might try packing up an blanked AVD for download, but I don't know if that's legal.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
LarsonMattr
Edge User

OncTech-
Could you pack an AVD up for us? I haven't found a way yet to get any of those images to work on the emulator...