Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
richmgray
richmgray began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
IPAQ (mobipocket) to itouch (Stanza)?

I just purchased an itouch to read ebooks. I have an old IPAQ that isn't working well -- and I want to transfer the books (in mobipocket format) on my IPAQ to my new itouch. I have read the FAQs -- sorry, I just need a bit more help on the process. My PC runs vista. Thanks.
richmgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmgray View Post
I just purchased an itouch to read ebooks. I have an old IPAQ that isn't working well -- and I want to transfer the books (in mobipocket format) on my IPAQ to my new itouch. I have read the FAQs -- sorry, I just need a bit more help on the process. My PC runs vista. Thanks.
What help do you need?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
richmgray

Sorry for being so computer illiterate. The steps to making it happen. Thanks
Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Sorry for being so computer illiterate. The steps to making it happen. Thanks
You'll have to meet us halfway. There are lots of people here who'll try to help you, but they need some help from you. Do you have Calibre installed?
Old 03-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Stanza prefers the ePub format, so convert your DRM-free MOBI ebooks to ePub using Calibre (has its own forum here).

Most commercial MOBI ebooks come with DRM (encryption). You remove the DRM using the python script mobidedrm.py. Recent versions of this (e.g. v0.12), can be used as a "plugin" to Calibre, to automatically strip the DRM. Read the comments in this script for how to do this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
richmgray

Sorry for the bother. I will install Calibre and then get back when I have some questions. I'm way too new. Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry for the bother. I will install Calibre and then get back when I have some questions. I'm way too new. Thanks
It's no bother. People will be glad to help, but we couldn't tell what kind of help you needed. Your first step will be to install Calibre, the second will be to drag books from your IPAQ into Calibre.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
richmgray

Okay -- I'm ready for the next step. I have installed Calibre -- and dropped in a few of my ebooks (in mobipocket format). I try to convert them to epub, but it says that the book is DRM protected. I see above that someone says to use python -- how do I go about installing this plug-in -- per the error mesage "using third party tools"?? Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Okay -- I'm ready for the next step. I have installed Calibre -- and dropped in a few of my ebooks (in mobipocket format). I try to convert them to epub, but it says that the book is DRM protected. I see above that someone says to use python -- how do I go about installing this plug-in -- per the error mesage "using third party tools"?? Thanks
We don't usually detail in this forum ways to remove drm. Google though is your friend.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Okay -- I'm ready for the next step.
The latest version is "mobidedrm v.13". If you get it from (say) pastebin.com then you need to rename it from xxx.txt to mobidedrm.py.

To use any suitable python script as a plugin to Calibre, rename from filename.py to filename_plugin.py, put it into a ZIP file and import into Calibre using its plugin configuration GUI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
richmgray

Sorry for the slow reply -- I have added Calibre and Stanza (to ipod and desktop).
Per instructions, I have renamed the file for Calibre -- but when I go to import (add in) the plugin I get the message "No plugin found in .... (the file where I put it).
What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Sorry for the slow reply -- I have added Calibre and Stanza (to ipod and desktop).
Per instructions, I have renamed the file for Calibre -- but when I go to import (add in) the plugin I get the message "No plugin found in .... (the file where I put it).
What am I doing wrong?
So you added _plugin.py to the end of your plugin and then zipped the file?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
richmgray

Yes -- that is what I did -- nothing else. It shows as zipped but then I get the message above when I go to add it.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
richmgray

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? I have added the _plugin at the end of the downloaded script (after having changed the name). I have tried it again, but with the same result.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
richmgray

The smile on my face shows that it now is functioning correctly. When you get old, nothing is intuitive. Solution -- when changing the name, make sure that the dropdown is changed from text file to all files (mine still had the .txt on the end -- although my computer didn't show it until I tried to add it to Calibre). Once I figured this out, the rest came -- still slowly, but it came (smile). Thanks for all of your help. Now to see if I can get the download to work from Calibre to my itouch.