Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #61
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
How did you all survive before e-readers? moving your fingers to turn paper books must have been a nightmare for you guys.
I used my tongue

More seriously, I don't look at the exact same page in a book over and over and over and over again like I do a screen. That paper page, also soaks up the oil my fingers may leave behind during a brief page turn. That oil, or grease if you're eating something, stays on an eink screen.

It bugs the hell out of me when my devices are dirty.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #62
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
How did you all survive before e-readers? moving your fingers to turn paper books must have been a nightmare for you guys.
My hands hurt a lot when I'd do a lot of reading. I get a lot more read now that I have something lighter and thinner to hold.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #63
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
By 'high resolution' I assume it is 1024x768, which is what I've been hoping for (it would make embedded fonts more readable at small text sizes). As long as the contrast ratio is improved overall, I'm all in. It would be nice if the existing KT covers will still fit, as I would not need to purchase a new one.

Wonder how they've replaced the function of the physical Home button? Perhaps it is a capacitative or pressure touch sensitive area now. could they also have 'invisible' page turn buttons?

I do hope that they have solved the 'hotspot' problems that have plagued the Nook GlowLight. E-ink screens are delicate enough without making them even more delicate.

If there's an option to get one without the built in light I would probably go for that if there's any reduction of contrast associated with it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #64
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I'll probably buy one of them if the price is decent.....
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #65
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I hold it with my thumb on the edge of the screen bezel, and a slight rolling of my thumb is sufficient to turn the page. Remember that you don't need to actually touch the screen, just break the IR beams which are about 1mm above the screen surface.
How does it work inside of a waterproof bag?
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #66
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The WSJ review of the Sony PRS-T2 claimed the device had the whitest e-ink screen of any e-reader so far. People who've bought that model have posted similar conclusions on MR.

I wonder if we'll be seeing whiter e-ink screens from this point on.

Perhaps there's a distinct difference in the new Kindle's screen beyond the light and perhaps Amazon's simply more efficient than Sony at marketing a basic improvement in e-ink screens overall.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-31-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #67
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
How does it work inside of a waterproof bag?
I completely forgot about this one. I was so focused on having additional page turn buttons that I missed that from time to time I use my K3 in a waterproof bag. I suppose without page turn buttons this would be impossible. But even if there were any, would it be possible to turn the touch screen off? How does the Nook handle this issue?
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
but tapping on the screen requires even less muscular effort than pressing a button!
For me the benefit of page turn buttons is that I am able to keep holding the device in a manner that is more comfortable than having my thumb perched over the screen the whole time or continually having to adjust the way I was holding it.

The addition of the front light and a supposedly improved screen might overcome this downside, but it will be a shame that it won't be an upgrade in every way.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
For me the benefit of page turn buttons is that I am able to keep holding the device in a manner that is more comfortable than having my thumb perched over the screen the whole time or continually having to adjust the way I was holding it.

The addition of the front light and a supposedly improved screen might overcome this downside, but it will be a shame that it won't be an upgrade in every way.
You'll get hand cramps that way.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #70
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
This sounds like a worthy upgrade for my PRS-505! I hope (but doubt) they included a microSD slot.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #71
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
I hope (but doubt) they included a microSD slot.
There hasn't been a card slot since the original Kindle. I can't imagine them bringing it back.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #72
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

Anyone want to make some predictions on the price?
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #73
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
But how do you hold the Touch? You would have to move your thumb each time you want to turn the page. It's not possible to simply rest the thumb on the display of course.
How did you turn pages on the Kindle Keyboard without moving your thumbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Will the new "Paperwhite" e-ink make up for the reduced contrast from the lighting overlay? I'm skeptical. The front-lit Nooks clearly had less contrast.
I have one of the earliest Sony Touch models and the reduced contrast is very noticeable. If the new Kindle doesn't have good contrast, I may skip this year's model. However, Amazon and others did manage to solve the contrast problems for touch readers, so maybe Amazon will have come up with a solution for poor resolution on front-lit models. Here's hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
...I do hope that they have solved the 'hotspot' problems that have plagued the Nook GlowLight. E-ink screens are delicate enough without making them even more delicate.

If there's an option to get one without the built in light I would probably go for that if there's any reduction of contrast associated with it.
It would really be a deal breaker if they haven't. As I mentioned elsewhere, the only Nook Glow I've held in my hands was in a B&N store and it had an obvious hotspot near the center of the page. It was almost like a tiny man had poked a hole in the screen and was peering through with a flashlight.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #74
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by humandroid View Post
Anyone want to make some predictions on the price?
$149 for the ad subsidized version $199 for the standard $250 for the xtra memory and camera...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #75
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
$149 for the ad subsidized version $199 for the standard $250 for the xtra memory and camera...
Sounds about right for the new FIRE 7-inchers.
But for the paperwhite it is more likely $129 for the KSO Wifi and $169 for the KSO 3G, assuming an XGA screen. Otherwise, drop $20.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote