Old 06-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Calibre server mac and android

Hi!

Can't seem to find my calibre server.

I'm on a mac, and I'm using port 8787, I have it forwarded in the router, to my computers ip address.

I go to 192.168.0.192:8787 in WordPlayer v3 on my nexus one. No go. It says server not found.

I do not have a firewall up.

Please help!

Thanks!
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post
Hi!

Can't seem to find my calibre server.

I'm on a mac, and I'm using port 8787, I have it forwarded in the router, to my computers ip address.

I go to 192.168.0.192:8787 in WordPlayer v3 on my nexus one. No go. It says server not found.
Can you ping 192.168.0.192? Can you access your server from a browser on another computer on your LAN? Can you access your server on 192.168.0.192 at 127.0.0.1:8787 via loopback?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post
If you are attempting to connect from outside your home network, i.e., using your phone provider's GSM-based wireless network, then you must use the IP address supplied by your ISP. You can get this by going to http://www.whatsmyip.org/. Note that if your ISP is assigning you a dynamic IP address, then it will change from time to time. There are ways around this inconvenience, but I won't go into them unless you have that problem.

The 192.168... address will work only from within your home net. Starson17's diagnostics are an excellent place to start if you are connecting to your home network using wifi.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you are attempting to connect from outside your home network, i.e., using your phone provider's GSM-based wireless network, then you must use the IP address supplied by your ISP. You can get this by going to http://www.whatsmyip.org/. Note that if your ISP is assigning you a dynamic IP address, then it will change from time to time. There are ways around this inconvenience, but I won't go into them unless you have that problem.

The 192.168... address will work only from within your home net. Starson17's diagnostics are an excellent place to start if you are connecting to your home network using wifi.
I was also questioning if the server was even running. It wasn't clear where to start.

BTW, as long as you're reading - I use dyndns to get "around this inconvenience." For years I've run a tiny software prog to do the that job on one of my 24/7 machines. Every now and then, I decide to stop using it, and turn on the automatic dyndns update built into my router. The router method seems to work perfectly, as I never lose access, but after a month or two I get an email from dyndns telling me I haven't logged in or updated in a month and they're terminating my free account! Then I switch back to the prog method of update and all goes well.

Does it make sense to you that the dynamic IP remains unchanged for more than a month, so the router never updates? I've never tracked the actual IP for that long. I know the prog update method does a periodic update. I've occasionally mentioned to others they can just use the built-in router dyndns updater, but now I wonder if that's not a good idea.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beware: thread hijack alert;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
BTW, as long as you're reading - I use dyndns to get "around this inconvenience."
So do I. It also works with fixed ip addresses, as long as the router occasionally reports them. My DG834 seems to talk to dyndns every so often, because I never get warned.

Quote:
Every now and then, I decide to stop using it, and turn on the automatic dyndns update built into my router. The router method seems to work perfectly, as I never lose access, but after a month or two I get an email from dyndns telling me I haven't logged in or updated in a month and they're terminating my free account! Then I switch back to the prog method of update and all goes well.

Does it make sense to you that the dynamic IP remains unchanged for more than a month,
I have seen that. I once had a dynamic address that was stable for 6 months.
Quote:
so the router never updates?
If the router never updates, then I claim it is broken. All dyndns clients should know they must update within 30 days, even if nothing has changed. Most that I know of update every week. What router do you have?
Quote:
I've occasionally mentioned to others they can just use the built-in router dyndns updater, but now I wonder if that's not a good idea.
It should work. It has worked for me with various netgear, level 1 and dlink routers.

Taking a guess, I would say that you have a stable 'dynamic' address and that your router is trying but failing to update. If you turn dyndns on in your router, it should update and you should see the refresh date change on dyndns. If it does not, then something is probably wrong with the setup. I would guess password, but it could be any of client, dynamic host name, user name, or password. Of course, you could have a router with a non-conforming client.
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Beware: thread hijack alert;
Yeah, but he may find it useful, if he needs dynamic support

I've got an old WRT54G (linux based) running hacked firmware (Sveasoft). I know it will update, because I've forced an IP change and checked at dyndns. Password/login issues all are ruled out. What I don't know is whether it updates monthly, need it or not, or even whether the IP changes within that time frame. Perhaps I'll update the firmware. Thanks for the comments.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited by Starson17; 06-11-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Maryland
Maryland began at the beginning.

Device: Droid
Quote:
Can you ping 192.168.0.192? Can you access your server from a browser on another computer on your LAN? Can you access your server on 192.168.0.192 at 127.0.0.1:8787 via loopback?
I'm having a very similar problem with my Droid. I can Ping my IP, it works when I use it on a different computer, and I can bring up the loopback on my mac, but WordPlayer still continually says that the "server is not found". I would try Starson17's diagnostics, but I don't know how to find them through the forums. Also set up port forwarding for 8080. Trying to do this within my wifi network.
Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
I'm having a very similar problem with my Droid. I can Ping my IP, it works when I use it on a different computer, and I can bring up the loopback on my mac, ...I would try Starson17's diagnostics, but I don't know how to find them through the forums.
You quoted "my diagnostics"

Quote:
WordPlayer still continually says that the "server is not found".
Also set up port forwarding for 8080. Trying to do this within my wifi network.
Why do you need to set up port forwarding, other than for external access? But if you are trying to come in from the outside, you wouldn't have said you were "Trying to do this within my wifi network."

What happens when you try to browse from your Droid with the browser to your Calibre content server?
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Maryland
Maryland began at the beginning.

Device: Droid
Thanks for the quick reply, It works through the browser. I just forwarded the port because I thought I needed to.
Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, It works through the browser.
If it works through the browser on your phone, you're set up correctly as far as browsing on a phone, and that's as far as I go in this area. I'm not familiar with Wordplayer's requirements. Perhaps it needs a special port, or needs to go to the OPDF part of the server, or needs other special setup. With luck, someone else will chime in here.

Quote:
I just forwarded the port because I thought I needed to.
You do for external access - that's how the router knows where your content server is, but not for internal access. Internally, you specify the address of your internal computer running the CS and the port rides along with each packet. Leaving it on won't hurt anything, and if you know your external IP address, it will give you access to your books from anywhere inn the world you have an Internet connection.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I have run across some browser-like programs that do not correctly recognize IP addresses for what they are, or don't recognize the port specifier.

Try using the complete URL syntax: http://192.168.0.192:8787/

And while you are there, try going directly to the OPDF part of the server: http://192.168.0.192:8787/stanza
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I have run across some browser-like programs that do not correctly recognize IP addresses for what they are, or don't recognize the port specifier.

Try using the complete URL syntax: http://192.168.0.192:8787/

And while you are there, try going directly to the OPDF part of the server: http://192.168.0.192:8787/stanza
Two questions, just for my general background info:

Were you thinking he might have been going to 192.168.0.192:8787 in the browser instead of http://192.168.0.192:8787, i.e. omitting the http:// ?

Do you know if WordPlayer uses OPDF?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Were you thinking he might have been going to 192.168.0.192:8787 in the browser instead of http://192.168.0.192:8787, i.e. omitting the http:// ?
Yes. All the examples were sans http://, at least.
Quote:
Do you know if WordPlayer uses OPDF?
No clue, but it takes only 6 characters to try it.

While on the subject, I have seen one or two applications that couldn't handle IP addresses at all. They pass them to DNS for resolution, and when it fails they don't attempt to connect directly. If that is the case for WordPlayer, then dyndns might be the answer. Set up an account, point your name at 192.168.0.192, and poof! No IP address in the URL line.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Yes. All the examples were sans http://, at least.No clue, but it takes only 6 characters to try it.
Yes, I've seen the same problem where it fails to add http://.

Quote:
While on the subject, I have seen one or two applications that couldn't handle IP addresses at all. They pass them to DNS for resolution, and when it fails they don't attempt to connect directly.
I've also seen this. Another possible issue I've seen is where the browser simply failed to recognize the dotted quad as an address, so it sent the address to a search service! I had trouble with Opera this way. The solution for me was to save a random bookmark, then edit the bookmark to put in the local link.

Quote:
If that is the case for WordPlayer, then dyndns might be the answer. Set up an account, point your name at 192.168.0.192, and poof! No IP address in the URL line.
Yep. That's a cute trick - I hadn't thought of using dyndns for a local address, until I saw an earlier post by you. BTW, one other trick that might help - I've occasionally seen problems with password protected access where the prompt can't get through the software. He might consider trying this link:

http://UserName:Password@192.168.0.192:8787/

or

http://UserName:Password@192.168.0.192:8787/mobile

or

http://UserName:Password@192.168.0.192:8787/stanza

Where UserName:Password are those defined for the content server.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

I was looking at the bug tracker and found this:

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/4603

It says that you cannot use the port in the address. Just use the raw address 192.168.0.192, and WordPlayer will add the port. (I think it needs to be on the default 8080 port to work.)

Last edited by Starson17; 06-14-2010 at 03:03 PM.