Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast
Zerhackermann began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
well...damn.

I just got my PRS-600 before xmas. Never had an e-reader before. Totally digging it.

Then last night, I noticed a spec obscuring part of a letter. I get out my microfiber cloth and give it a wipe down as I periodically need to do. Still there. So I damp it a little and wipe it good. nope.

Then I look closely and see that the bit of schmutz is between the screens. dammit. and it sits in the upper left quadrant of the "more" button on the home screen. and it is fairly sizable. like a millimeter or two in diameter. and its white like a skin flake or something else disgusting. cant shake it loose or tap it free.

So I call up Sony.

After much wheedling and such the upshot is:

1) "well at least it is still in warranty so we wont charge you" I should hope not for what is clearly a defect. "it will take about a week including shipping and it will be like new" dude, it is less than 30 days old. It is already like new with the exception of this defect.

2) "you could return it to target and get a new one"

Now I am pretty forgiving of such situations...but this is Sony opening the door for me to go to a competitor. If I take it back and they dont have a replacement and I get refunded, why should I risk another Sony when I could have a Kindle or some other device in my hands in 24 hours?

What would have pleased me to no end and made me a total fanboy would have been if they offered to send me a new unit (hell even a refurb) and I just drop the dirty one in the box and send it back. That would have been awesome.

Less awesome would have been to give me warranty acceptable cleaning instructions.

Most likely what I will do is see if I can get a swap at the store. if not, I'll probably just take it apart and clean it out when the warranty expires.

at any rate, I certainly am not thrilled. Not angry or eve indignant. Just a bit disappointed. And as folks ask me about the device, that wart will be pointed out along with all the things I like about it.
Zerhackermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Very annoying indeed - but I think your problem is very rare. Not that that helps you!

I would get Target to change it. If they won't, remember your thought process for choosing the 600 - you could regret not being patient for a week for a long time!

Good luck
amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Agree with amjbrown.... Sony is taking care of it under warranty, and offering a pretty quick turn around. Plus, Target may just exchange it and you would have a new one.

Other than the general hassle of the problem with the unit, I really don't see what the big deal is. I realize you want instant problem solving, but Sony has every right to at least look at the unit to see what the problem is.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Agree with amjbrown.... Sony is taking care of it under warranty, and offering a pretty quick turn around. Plus, Target may just exchange it and you would have a new one.

Other than the general hassle of the problem with the unit, I really don't see what the big deal is. I realize you want instant problem solving, but Sony has every right to at least look at the unit to see what the problem is.....
hold on there. I wasnt saying sony wasnt right or wrong. I am saying they were being merely...adequate in their solution. I thought I was pretty clear that I wasnt mad or anything, just disappointed they chose not to make me ecstatic.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerhackermann View Post

2) "you could return it to target and get a new one"

I guess I don't see how much closer to instant gratification you want than this.....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Good luck! I hope manage to exchange it okay.

At least you got a problem earlier rather than later on!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Just take it back to Target and tell them it locks up periodically. Get a new one and go! My first unit had some dust under the first screen layer, and something black (dirt?) embedded in the top of the first layer. Back to BestBuy that bad boy went, and I walked out with an absolutely perfect unit.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Target is pretty good with exchanges and returns.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast

update -

Target rocks. I pointed out the flaw and got exchanged right there.

But to be clear - my disappointment with sony's solution isnt that they did anything *wrong*. I simply felt they could have done better. Businesses *ask* constantly "How can we serve you better?" and I answered that question: "Offer more than one solution to the problem". The other choices I suggested were certainly not the only options they could have offered, nor were they the only ones that could have made me very pleased with them. Hell, they may have a dozen solutions, none of which satisfied me - but at least I would have been pleased with the extra effort.

I apologize if I communicated that poorly.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerhackermann View Post
update -

Target rocks. I pointed out the flaw and got exchanged right there.
That's great to hear. Glad it worked out in a timely fashion.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I swapped a 505 at target with no hassle at all. They just asked if it was defective and I just said yep and got another 505.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
That is indeed good news! Target is a great place, wish we had one in our town. All we have here is a Wal-mart (which is fine, I just like Target better).... and if we want a Target we have to go to Weatherford or Fort Worth.... and often do.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote