Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Dapper Amit
Dapper Amit began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
My PRS-505 doesn't turn off - Help!

Hi,

Since last week my PRS-505 will not turn off when I use the slider switch. Neither does it go to sleep after 60 minutes as it's supposed to. It just keeps running till the battery gets consumed.

All other functions are working and I can even shut down the reader by using the advanced settings. I can then use the slider switch to start the reader so I am guessing it's not a problem with the hardware switch.

One other point to note is that while it's turned on it is consuming battery at a very fast rate. A fully charged battery drains out over night even if I am not turning any pages.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amit
Dapper Amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Did you try the reset button at the back?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'd try the reset button as Seabound suggests.

Just wanted to add, that even when the screen is "on" your reader shouldn't actually using much power. With e-ink technology, it doesn't take any power to keep the screen on. The reader should only be using power when re-drawing the screen.

Sounds like you probably have something else going on. Could the audio player be on in the background?

Hopefully the reset will fix your problems.

dordale

Last edited by dordale; 04-02-2009 at 02:12 AM.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I had this "not turning off" thing happen to me a couple of months ago.
Using the reset on the back fixed it for awhile but it happened again a couple of times.
I eventually found it was a corrupted file system. I copied the books off, formatted the internal memory using the readers format command and put the books back on. Not had any problems since.
You may be able to just do a Windows disk check while it is plugged into the PC instead of the complete format.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
Dapper Amit

I have tried the reset button already with no improvements. I'll try and format the memory to see if it solves the problem.
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Dapper Amit

@tech_au Thanks a lot. Formatting internal memory solved the issue
Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm having the same problem of not been able to turn the machine off (also the bookmark facility has stopped working). Followed the advice here, but -- after about half an hour -- the screen told me that it was still formatting. I gave up in frustration and tried the off switch and, right enough, the machine appeared to close. Then it automatically re-started ... and I still have the same problem: can't turn off, can't remove or add bookmarks. Any ideas? Cheers.

Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Amit View Post
@tech_au Thanks a lot. Formatting internal memory solved the issue
Glad you were able to solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I'm having the same problem of not been able to turn the machine off (also the bookmark facility has stopped working). Followed the advice here, but -- after about half an hour -- the screen told me that it was still formatting. I gave up in frustration and tried the off switch and, right enough, the machine appeared to close. Then it automatically re-started ... and I still have the same problem: can't turn off, can't remove or add bookmarks. Any ideas? Cheers.

Neil
I have found a few threads that address this problem and offer advice..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48518
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadolax View Post
It looks like a hard reset followed by formatting worked. I just have to re-authorize the machine now but the button works again...weird.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Make sure you've copied all you want from the Reader onto your PC, then try Settings/Advanced Settings/Format Internal Memory
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49735

I hope you find something in those threads that will help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Atagahi
Enthusiast
Atagahi began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I have the same problem and I was wondering how long formatting the internal memory takes. Is it suppose to be quick or last hours?
Atagahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
The below is information I've picked up from other troubleshooting threads...

First of all, I know that charging with a mains (AC) charger for a FULL charge is the first step.

Then, if you have an ebook, pic, or music, on your Reader, make sure you have a copy on your computer so you can reload it again.

Last make sure that you don't have the music player on (even if paused it still uses battery).

I've been lucky and have never had to do a soft nor a hard reset. Additional information can be found in the MR Wiki below..

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505

Trouble shooting section...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505#Trouble_Shooting:

And the see also section for the manual link..

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505#See_Also

Last edited by dreams; 08-27-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've taken your sound advice here and ordered an international AC charger from Amazon. Should arrive in a few days, so I'll report back if it does the trick (or doesn't). Thanks for the generous tips, folks. Neil
Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr

My AC charger just arrived. This is the immediate email I sent to the company's tech support team:

***FedEx just delivered my AC Charger for the Sony Reader PRS-505. Great. I can now plug this charger into the mains anywhere in the world, thanks to all the international adapters you so kindly included. How the heck, though, am I supposed to plug it into the reading unit? There is absolutely no way I can see that this thing can be connected to the 505, although it's advertised as 505-specific and your invoice describes it as a charger for the Sony Reader PRS-505. What you've sent me is very pretty and utterly useless. Please advise ASAP. Neil Marr***

So I'm still stuck with a duff reader. Hoots. Neil
Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Does it have the round barrel plug? Then use the socket at the bottom of the unit.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr

Thanks, Igor, but I'm afraid it doesn't have a plug at all. The cable ends with a 'female' piece. It's designed, not to plug, but to be plugged into. Please excuse my apparent naughtiness. Can't think of another, less sexist, way to put this. There's absolutely no way this thing from Gomadic Corp in the US can possibly do the job it's supposeldy designed for. If it didn't make me chuckle, I'd be bloody irate. I'm on the verge now of trashing my 505 (and this joke charger) and starting over to cut my losses. Cheers. Neil
Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Thanks, Igor, but I'm afraid it doesn't have a plug at all. The cable ends with a 'female' piece. It's designed, not to plug, but to be plugged into. Please excuse my apparent naughtiness. Can't think of another, less sexist, way to put this. There's absolutely no way this thing from Gomadic Corp in the US can possibly do the job it's supposeldy designed for. If it didn't make me chuckle, I'd be bloody irate. I'm on the verge now of trashing my 505 (and this joke charger) and starting over to cut my losses. Cheers. Neil
The problem is that you forgot to also order the tip for the 505.

http://www.gomadic.com/tip-29.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote