Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Bookeen's new Adobe reader Mobile SDK support

Following the Adobe announcement about it's new Reader Mobile SDK (wich will allow reflowable PDF's and support EPUB file format), Bookeen has just announced it's products "will be compatible with Adobe Digital Edition Desktop application (compatible both on PCs and Macs) enabling users to acquire and download their content from a variety of sources. Both the PDF and EPUB support will become available through a software release scheduled in quarter 1 2009, more details will follow later" (http://bookeen.blogspot.com)

Excelent news.

I wonder if the much waited firmware update will be delayed because of this.
Hope not. Folder support is - in my point of view - pretty much urgent. (off course reflowabe PDF's and EPUB support is something of another league...)

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 02-18-2009 at 07:00 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is puzzling. I've often heard the Mobipocket requires the Mobipocket format to be the only DRM format available on a dedicated device.

But now Bookeen seem to be going to support Adobe DRMed ePUB and PDF as well.

I too hope we'll see an interim firmware update before we see the ePUB support.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I hope they will support the adobe drm, but I can't really understand how they are able to do this. I to understood that mobi has a rule stating that you can only support their drm. I hope they've found a way round this rule, but I don't really understand how they are able to do it.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've always found this rule surprising given the history of mobipocket and the fact that they make their reader available on a number of platforms for which other drm enabled readers are available such as ereader and microsoft reader. Maybe Bookeen have figured out a legal way around this given that fact. I'm obviously not a lawyer, but the way mobipocket has locked in the e-ink companies is interesting and confusing to say the least.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote