Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Problems with PDF docs: all blank!

Hi everyone,

I am trying to upload some scanned RPG manuals to my PRS 505. They open fine on my Mac, both in PReview and i Acrobate Pro. But once transferred to the reader, when I open the docs, all I get is blank pages.

I've never had this bug with PDF before. Anyone had the same problem? Also, would anyone know if there's a limit on the size of the documents that can be read on the PRS 505: some of these manuals weight a hefty 45 MB!

Cheers!

Alfy.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
But do they open in Digital Editions? Neither Digital Editions or the Sony Reader support images in PDF that are in JPEG2000 format.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 11-14-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
Hi everyone,

I am trying to upload some scanned RPG manuals to my PRS 505. They open fine on my Mac, both in PReview and i Acrobate Pro. But once transferred to the reader, when I open the docs, all I get is blank pages.

I've never had this bug with PDF before. Anyone had the same problem? Also, would anyone know if there's a limit on the size of the documents that can be read on the PRS 505: some of these manuals weight a hefty 45 MB!

Cheers!

Alfy.
I've had that problem before. Try reformatting the flash memory (card or internal) and loading the pdfs one at a time. I've loaded pdfs that were over 200MB in size but it took some work.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A-HA!!! When opened in ADE, same blank page! I'll try changing the compression format in Acrobat and see if that works.

THAAAAANKS!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

And resampling the pictures to JPEG instead of JPEG2000 works wonders! Again, THANKS!

Damn, this forum is good. Better than motorbikes. Better than drugs. Better than sex. Well, not better than sex, but still.
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

Sorry to come back with a new question: would any one know how to change the compression type in Acrobat WITHOUT using PDF optimizer? If I use the optimizer, I have to downgrade the quality of the pictures...
Old 11-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Nope sorry, that's the only way I know to change the filter type of the streams, outside of writing your own plugin.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Alfy

You will always loose quality with these particular types of PDF’s, as you are changing the type of compression to jpeg who is lossless (so always with loosing of information).

You can minimize this by checking the level of compression of the file images before (if jpeg2000, see if it’s low, medium, high, etc…) and when changing to jpeg choose for this one at least the same level of compression or superior (ex: medium in jpeg2000, to high in jpeg).
And see the results.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Alfy

You will always loose quality with these particular types of PDF’s, as you are changing the type of compression to jpeg who is lossless (so always with loosing of information).
Actually, lossless should be termed lossy. Jpeg is a lossy compression.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I've noted some books I converted are blank too.
Mainly ones saved as Adobe Acrobat 5 or higher files.
Acrobat 4 files don't seem to suffer from that.

Problem is on Acrobat 4 a book I converted is 6,5Mb
On version 6 it only takes 3MB.
On version 9 it takes 2,9MB.

It may be as you say,JPeg.
For scanned text books (before ocr)is png not better than jpeg?

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-29-2008 at 08:45 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote