Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Adobe Digital Editions activations

I'm preparing to see if I can make a full time move to using Linux. As I've been moving to open-source software on Windows for almost 10 years, apart from a few exceptions, this would normally not be a problem.

The exceptions are these:
- A chess program (which is going to run forever in an XP VM, without internet)
- Games (these are going on a separate partition, alongside Windows 7)
- Adobe Digital Editions, to be installed on the Win7 partition.

I've just hit CTRL+SHIFT+D to deactivate Digital Editions on this computer. However, it says this:

"Are you sure you want to remove authorisation for this computer? It is possible you will not be able to read items from your library that are protected by Adobe DRM."

OK, fine.... I don't have any. But, it ALSO says this:

"The number of allowed authorisations that you still have, will not be increased when removing this computer's authorisation."

So... what?

edit: This is the screen I'm seeing (in Dutch... although my computer is in English, ADE uses the locale to determine the language. Blergh.)

Are you going to tell me that deactivating ADE does NOTHING to restore used authorisations back to unused?!

I've used 1.7 in the past, when there was no 2.0 => First activation.
Deactivate, upgrade to 2.0 => Second activation.

So I'm down to 4 already?

Now, if I'm deactivating, and then later reactivating the same computer (using a new Windows installation, as I'm not going to image this 5,5 year old install), will bring it down to 3? Next year, if I replace this computer and re-install ADE, it would be down to 2, even if I deactivate ADE first on this computer?

Am I missing something here? That way, I will I run out of activations eventually, even if I am deactivating / reactivating each time? If so... then WHY would there be a deactivation option? What about people who have 2 or more e-readers, and replace them each year because they want the newwest ones? I don't understand.

If I ever need to go beg for Adobe to reset my activations, I will be very angry.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-21-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Addition: I don't use my Adobe-ID for anything else. (Previously, I used it to activate my student license for Photoshop, but I've moved away to GIMP, as it has improved enough for my purposes.)

I assume that, if I download an ASCM-file from Kobo (or somewhere else), that I can download the book using ADE on any computer, authorised by any e-mail address. It must be, because the e-mail address I use at Kobo is not the same as my Adobe-ID (anymore), and this still works.

Does this mean that if I run out of authorisations, I could just create another Adobe-ID, and use that to download books, and then de-DRM them? If so, then there basically isn't any problem. I have my own webspace/e-mail domain, and I can create addresses like adobe_0001@mydomain.com by the thousands if I need to. After authorisations run out, I just delete the address and abandon the ID, create a new address and a new ID, and just leave the old ones to rot forever in Adobe's database, without even a name filled out or anything...

As I de-DRM all my books at the moment of purchase, this means that not being able to read protected material is a moot point. Obviously, for people playing completely by the DRM-"rules", this would not be an option.

Oh, how we love DRM... if a "normal" user gets into trouble, he's really down the drain.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-21-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I installed ADE lots of time, and activated quite a few reader. Didn't bumped onto the "activation exceeded" message. And thrust me, i tried. Adobe add activation every now and then to account for new computer / readers / whatever.

Quote:
Does this mean that if I run out of authorisations, I could just create another Adobe-ID, and use that to download books, and then de-DRM them? If so, then there basically isn't any problem. I have my own webspace/e-mail domain
Books once downloaded with an adobe ID are linked to that adobe ID. But if you de-drm, that shouldn't be a problem

Quote:
Am I missing something here? That way, I will I run out of activations eventually, even if I am deactivating / reactivating each time? If so... then WHY would there be a deactivation option? What about people who have 2 or more e-readers, and replace them each year because they want the newwest ones? I don't understand.
To let people authorize ADE to an other user I guess.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-21-2013 at 03:10 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
If you authorise all your devices, you will eventually run out of authorisations.

It was my understanding that Adobe slowly increased your authorisations over time to make up for device upgrades/changes, but now it seems you have to contact their customer support to "reset your authorisations" (whatever that means) when you reach the limit.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously ?

I authorized an awful lots of device. It was one the the thing they had done right.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
If you authorise all your devices, you will eventually run out of authorisations.

It was my understanding that Adobe slowly increased your authorisations over time to make up for device upgrades/changes, but now it seems you have to contact their customer support to "reset your authorisations" (whatever that means) when you reach the limit.
I won't reach a limit. If need be, I can just switch over to another e-mail address (or more correctly, alias), and create a new ID when I run out of authorisations. I can create aliases in unending amounts if need be. It seems to only gets complicated if you play by the rules and never remove DRM for your e-books...

But still, why provide a deauthorisation option, if your used authorisations willl not be undone? The window that pops up says so. That is what I don't understand.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Seriously ?

I authorized an awful lots of device. It was one the the thing they had done right.
According to Adobe, you can authorise 6 mobile and 6 non-mobile devices per account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
But still, why provide a deauthorisation option, if your used authorisations willl not be undone? The window that pops up says so. That is what I don't understand.
If you sell or give away your device, you have to de-authorise it so that the new owner can authorise it with his/her account.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Mmm, i have 2 cybooks, a kobo, a Prs t1, mantano on Android, and my pc.

And that's excluding my old readers and the number of times I installed ADE. I'm sure i did hit the 6 times limit on both cases.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-22-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I had to contact Adobe to get a new device added.

It's really dumb that they don't allow you to deactivate devices to free up new activation slots. Having to contact them each time is really lame.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I have never had to contact Adobe to add additional authorizations. I strongly suspect (though have no way to verify) that they do something akin to Amazon and their authorizations for MP3 music devices -- if you don't use a device for a period of time (90 days in the Amazon case) they free up the slot and make it available. This works well for aging out old computers and OS installations. I actively run ADE on 4 computers. But those computers have been rebuilt 6-10 times each in the last 3-4 years. Each time, I've added ADE and activated it. And not once have I been dinged. (Wish I could say the same thing for Apple!!! Or even Audible, though they're easy to deal with.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I was thinking of was copying the registry entries for ADE and see if ADE would be registered without registering if all the registrations were used up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've re-installed ADE* several times on a couple of computers in the last few years and I've never de-authorised it first. I don't seem to have run out of activations yet.

By the way I run 1.7.something on Linux using wine. I find it works quite well, as does Kindle for PC. Certainly well enough for the initial download of the book to then be fed into the deDRM process. Unfortunately the latest version doesn't seem to run under Wine, so I keep the old installer handy (you can find it if you google).

*I mean re-installing after a re-install of the OS so it's not like there's registration data lying around somewhere.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
By the way I run 1.7.something on Linux using wine. I find it works quite well, as does Kindle for PC. Certainly well enough for the initial download of the book to then be fed into the deDRM process. Unfortunately the latest version doesn't seem to run under Wine, so I keep the old installer handy (you can find it if you google).
I know. Maybe I'm going to try that first, and use that, as long as 1.7 is still supported for downloading books. I can see that Adobe at some point is going to require 2.0

I wonder what they changed so that Wine doesn't support that program anymore. It's bizarre. Nowadays, Wine is compatible enough to run a lot of games flawlessly; it actually runs some Win98-era games that don't run on Windows7 itself... and a simple application such as ADE 2.0 won't work.

To some extent, I have a feeling that Adobe did it on purpose.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've always stuck to 1.7 because for a long time, Alf's scripts wouldn't work with 2.0. I've never bothered to find out if/when that changed.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All you need is the key file. It works for your 1.7 upgraded to 2.0 installation of ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote