Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #271
KoboJasi
KoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch

Fine. So, I need to find someone who has an image of a same kind of Touch's card, and edit the serial number, then write the image to my card, and thats it. Thanks for all of you, I'm on it!

Last edited by KoboJasi; 03-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
KoboJasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #272
GeorgK
Enthusiast
GeorgK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura HD; Kobo Aura H2O 2.Version V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There is no older firmware that will work on the new and old Touch hardware. ...
How do I decide one from the other?

Georg
GeorgK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #273
KoboJasi
KoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toys

One more thing I just thought: the firmware of the "new" touch is the same as the fw of a Glo, or I misread something? If these are equal, Kevin, would you share your card image with me, please?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #274
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJasi View Post
One more thing I just thought: the firmware of the "new" touch is the same as the fw of a Glo, or I misread something? If these are equal, Kevin, would you share your card image with me, please?
It's worth a shot. I've sent you a private message with the link.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #275
KoboJasi

Hey Kevin, it's almost done!
Though your image doesn't fit for my Touch, I have seen the signs of life on the screen after a long-long week, so I'm getting optimistic.
Otherwise, the Kobo starts up (the center of the screen a little bit slided to the bottom-left corner), I could select language, but nothing then.
So I must find the correct image, then it will work again, I'm sure.

A big for you!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #276
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Fantastic! I'm glad to hear it.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #277
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgK View Post
How do I decide one from the other?

Georg
Check earlier in this thread for the full message. Basically, I did a factory reset and then looked at the size of the .tgz file that was loaded to the .kobo directory on my Kobo before I disconnected it. My suspicion is that Kobo uses the serial number to decide which firmware version to download but no real evidence to support that belief.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #278
GeorgK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...My suspicion is that Kobo uses the serial number to decide which firmware version to download ...
Obviously I couldn't make myself understood

I want to sideload a new firmware to my KObo Touch and want to make sure I use the right file.
There are two of them: a file for "new" hardware and one for "old" hardware.
Unfortunately I cannot say if I've got an old or a new Kobo. How can I check which version of KObo Touch I purchased?

Regards
Georg
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #279
KoboJasi

Hi George!
Here are some tips for you:
1. The new version of Touch appeared first at last spring. Check the box of your device, I think if you find a date under the barcode you can decide it - but I'm not absolutely sure.
2. If you feel comfortable to open up your device, do it, and check if you find an internal microSD card on board. The older hardwares doesn't contain it, just the newer ones.
3. This is the most important: if you can find a microSD in it, TAKE A BACKUP OF IT!! BEFORE YOU TRY TO SIDELOAD ANY FIRMWARE! I mean take an image file of the whole card, so that in the future you can revive your Kobo relatively easily if you brick it...
There are several of us in this forum who has bricked their reader by sideloading a firmware on it.. Check this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201132
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #280
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

I want to sideload a new firmware to my KObo Touch and want to make sure I use the right file.
Unfortunately I cannot say if I've got an old or a new Kobo. How can I check which version of KObo Touch I purchased?

Regards
Georg
GeorgK,

DNSB suggested you could force the device to download the correct firmware (without installing it), and then compare the downloaded file with those files you can download directly via the links in the first post.
In order to force the device to download the FW, you could factory reset the device. There are certainly also possibilities to trick the device into updating, maybe changing an entry in the database or a config file. I did not look into that.

I tried to come up with another method.
1) First ascertain the rev number (settings>device information). In my case it is 84fbb7111a, this means FW 2.4.0, first release.
2) Download the two update files of that release, one for the old and one for the new hardware, to your pc
3) Decompress these files and try to establish a difference. There are several differences. I settled on the differences in the folder "KoboRoot\drivers\ntx508\usb\gadget". This folder contains three files. Each of them differs in size when compared to the other version.
4) So we only have to find which of those files are on our device. We can do this by executing a bash script.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ls -lc /drivers/ntx508/usb/gadget > /mnt/onboard/log_listgadget.log
5) We open the log_listgadget.log and compare the file size information with those we saw in the downloaded update files.

Edit: There are several ways to run a bash script on the device. One of them is to use the KoboLauncher for standalone Qt apps (link).

Last edited by tshering; 03-13-2013 at 11:40 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #281
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
2. If you feel comfortable to open up your device, do it, and check if you find an internal microSD card on board. The older hardwares doesn't contain it, just the newer ones.
There are Touch models with older hardware and removable internal microSD cards.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #282
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Hey Kevin, it's almost done!
Though your image doesn't fit for my Touch, I have seen the signs of life on the screen after a long-long week, so I'm getting optimistic.
Otherwise, the Kobo starts up (the center of the screen a little bit slided to the bottom-left corner), I could select language, but nothing then.
So I must find the correct image, then it will work again, I'm sure.

A big for you!
Yay I'm so happy for you!

So what image is it exactly that you're looking for? The NEW Touch or the OLD Touch? I'm assuming the NEW Touch (in which case I can't help you, sorry).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #283
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Regards
Georg
Have a look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206071

It's not 100% proven to be correct, so use at your own risk...
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #284
GeorgK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
...It's not 100% proven to be correct, so use at your own risk...
If I studied that thread correctly, my Touch (SN: KG319...) most likely is an old one. Thanx

Georg
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #285
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
If I studied that thread correctly, my Touch (SN: KG319...) most likely is an old one. Thanx

Georg
I think so too!

Make sure to get a backup before trying anything