Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #151
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Bit of a fine line there. The average paperback price now is $9 and I don't have a problem paying that. I can hold out for fiction until there is a sale. Its non-fiction that is usually over $10 and stays that way. For instance, a book on diabetes solutions - over $10 and will likely stay that way. It's annoying since I can't resell the book after I'm done. However, I was able to share it with other family members (I loan out my 6" kindle), so it has been read by 3 or 4 others already.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #152
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Since Kobo have now stated that only the account holder is allowed to read purchased ebooks, I certainly wouldn't pay more for an ebook than a paperback. At least, from Kobo.
Stating something doesn't necessarily make it true.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #153
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Stating something doesn't necessarily make it true.
If you mean that they might lose a court case trying to enforce it, you're right. But that wasn't what I was asking. I wanted to understand their interpretation of their own T&Cs.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #154
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Nope

Never have, never will.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #155
SilverBear
ἄρκτος ὁ Μέγας
SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Everyone has a reason; everyone spends for value received. I am not going to argue against people who need/want an e-book "hot off the press" and will pay whatever the asking price may be.

I'm not so impatient. My next breath --YEP! That I want NOW!! A book or a movie or anything less crucial to survival: I can afford to exercise my purchasing power strategically.

The market dynamics: as has been ably pointed out in previous posts, publishers will charge whatever they can, and will deliver whatever level of slip-shod production they can get away with.

I used to work in the printing industry. Yes, technology has changed since then. But in producing a physical, printed product there are --and will always be-- physical constraints that mean fixed production costs, to some extent. There is simply no comparison between the huge costs in making printing plates, buying paper and ink, running the presses. . . then binding the books, shipping them out of the plant, warehousing them, and then shipping them out again (either to retail outlets or to internet customers) -- versus digital reproduction!

In economic terms, sellers and buyers have a conflict of interest, as well as a common interest. The common interest is distributing a product to folks who want it. The conflict is the price. I'm not doing myself any favour by encouraging sellers to believe they can continue to price-gouge me on ebooks, so that they can make a higher profit margin than they do on their standard (printed) product.
SilverBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #156
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Well, I've purchased a couple of eARCS from Baen, when I could have waited a couple months longer and got the hardback for more, or the final e-version for much less, but it was worth it to me to get Captain Vorpatril's Alliance and Dragon Ship early. But I think eARCS are a special situation.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote