Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #31
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
I wouldn't be surprised if future e-ink technology finds a way to eliminate the flash.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #32
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if future e-ink technology finds a way to eliminate the flash.
there are already some nifty demo videos of full animations in e-ink, so they definitely can do it-I'm sure we'll see it at some point. (I'd rather see more work done in this area than in color implementations, myself)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
IMO, this "flash" wins hands-down over the animated page turns seen on some other devices.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #34
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
There are several e-ink devices that allow you to turn the flash off. The Pocketbook and Bookeen Cybook devices allow you to do this.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #35
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
i have always thought the page turning animation looked kinda cool - of course that is without actually trying to read a book on one of those machines

i have not had the opportunity to read on an e-ink reader for any length of time - it just seems something i would focus too much on each and every time i "turned" a page
it has been suggested to me that i could get a kindle and return it if things don't work out - seems wasteful (but tempting)

hopefully i'll be able to get my hands on an Edge and sit with it a bit before committing - - - if not i'll probably be getting one of the 3000 or so android tablets i'll have to choose from by then
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #36
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
What flash?
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
When I upgraded from PRS-500 to PRS-505 I have been noticing the flash for a few days. It was a bit frustrating, then it was gone.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #38
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I had to laugh at this, I've been using my Kindle for a year now, and I didn't even know what the OP was talking about.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #39
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #40
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
there are already some nifty demo videos of full animations in e-ink, so they definitely can do it-I'm sure we'll see it at some point. (I'd rather see more work done in this area than in color implementations, myself)
Agreed. Loving my reader, but I wish I could enjoy graphic novels on it too.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #41
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
Agreed. Loving my reader, but I wish I could enjoy graphic novels on it too.
Absolutely no reason that you can't now. You just have to live with it being in greyscale.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #42
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
though so far no one has actually said that all E-Ink readers have the flash i certainly get the impression that this flash thing is basic to the screen itself and not, say, the operating system
It is a consequence of eink technology. Many ereaders offer options to manage the issue. Some have various settings for partial refreshes; however, after a few page turns ghosting can becomes a problem (especially after an image display). My current ereader (Sibrary G5) has the option to do a full refresh every X page turns; I've currently set it to 5. This offers several advantages: partial refreshes are faster, less annoying and (theoretically) consume less battery power.

Your alternatives are either to invest in an ereader that can do partial refreshes, look for something using a different technology (e.g., an LCD screen), or grin and bear it.

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #43
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The overwhelming majority of people find that, after an hour or so, they no longer consciously notice it; your brain just filters it out.
My brain does.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM   #44
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I enjoy threads like this to see if things and peoples expectations/perceptions change with EPD panel devices and the refresh. Almost exactly a year ago I started a thread about this same topic and in general the responses were the same as today. Of course HarryT doubted the issue was ever mentioned anywhere, but that's why he is cool, keeps everyone on our toes.

It's nice to see people still find they get used to it in short order, some are still bothered by it, some don't become bothered by it until it's pointed out to them...most important is over the past year, devices haven't really increased on page turn speed, yeah a bit faster but not that much faster, save the new K3 and other new but still vaporware devices. Yet in the face of more LCD devices hitting the market I wonder if this is going to be used as a way to steer people AWAY from EPD devices toward higher margin LCD based devices. Not a sole ploy to point people away from EPD but a bullet in the gun used to make the consumer look the other way.

Oh, for fun here is the old thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=eink

Like I mention people are still generally the same on their POV toward the "flash"...to me it's like the keyboard on the Kindle, I would have sworn I would HATE the keyboard on the K1 when I bought it for my Mom...but when she still was not able to read on it due to her eyesight I took it back where it was confiscated by my better-half for almost a year, then when the K2 I got it back full-time and found it was not as bad as my initial impression but still did not like the eink screen...the keyboard immediately vanished as I used the reader. Same was true of any flashes from page changes...I just never noticed, even when not into the book that much.

It's going to be interesting to try this again next year, if the promised LCD panel devices finally show up...I so look forward to an Edge 2 (with Android 2.2 or even Chromium OS) and very interested in the Adam...and now that the ipAd has iOS4 with pretty much real enough multi-tasking it's a far more compelling device as well...along with the rumored new Nano with a touch screen...

But for me the flicker is just like a comfy pair of silk-wool hiking socks I use around the house...they might be annoying some days but 99% of the time they fool so cozy and like an old friend. BTW, I so recommend the Thorlo brand thick wool-silk blend hiking socks for your reading pleasure...never paid $18/pair for shocks in my like but I own 4-pair and rotate them every couple days and after 9-months still super and perfect for reading with the feet up on the furniture. Now I dare anyone to work wool socks into a thread about EPD screen flicker...hehehehe...

brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #45
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
BTW, you know we could just say that EPD devices are better than the iPad because they actually support "Flash"...just a proprietary version of it...that's it, the flash is a short subliminal ad to make us buy more books and devices...sneaky bastages!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote