Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Save to Disk altering Title and Series

At one time, the Save To Disk feature output the Title and Series as they appeared on the main display. Now it seems that the title and series are converted into a "sort order" format. For example, the save template {title} {series} {series_index} when used with the book "The Seventh Stone", which is the 62nd book in the series "The Destroyer", used to save under the file name "The Seventh Stone The Destroyer 62"; now it's "Seventh Stone, The Destroyer, The 62".

I can see why having the title/series in sort order is useful for devices that do not sort files intelligently, but I, for one, prefer the old way. Are there some undocumented variable names that I could use to get the title and series to appear in the saved-file name as they appear on the main display?

A better solution, IMHO, would be to introduce additional variables such as "title_sort" and "series_sort" to provide the sort-order forms, while the original "title" and "series" would provide the form as it appears on the main display. This would provide the greatest flexibility.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yesterday I discovered a new 'tweak' that is probably responsible for the change. The tweak's documentation is:
Code:
# Control how title and series names are formatted when saving to disk/sending
# to device. If set to library_order, leading articles such as The and A will
# be put at the end
# If set to 'strictly_alphabetic', the titles will be sorted without processing
# For example, with library_order, "The Client" will become "Client, The". With
# strictly_alphabetic, it would remain "The Client".
save_template_title_series_sorting = 'library_order'
See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ze.html#tweaks for more information on tweaks.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The variable is documented under the Customizing calibre>tweaks in the user manual.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Yesterday I discovered a new 'tweak' that is probably responsible for the change.

FYI, the tweaks file is not updated when you update Calibre. That's probably good, as you don't want your tweaks overwritten during an update, but it does mean that you can't immediately see all the tweaks available. I like to regularly copy the tweaks file from http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ze.html#tweaks so I can see what tweak options I have available. You can access the tweaks file from the GUI via Preferences|Advanced|Open configuration directory|tweaks.py If you do this, you need to reset any tweaks you have that are not set to the default.

Also, unlike the tweak for author_sort, this tweak immediately affects Save to Disk save order.

Last edited by Starson17; 08-09-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Thanks to all for your replies. This is what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I like to regularly copy the tweaks file from http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ze.html#tweaks so I can see what tweak options I have available.
Another way is to move the tweaks file to a temporary location. Calibre will then build a new one. You can then edit the new one, referring to the saved copy, to update those tweaks you had previously changed.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieTheK View Post
Another way is to move the tweaks file to a temporary location. Calibre will then build a new one. You can then edit the new one, referring to the saved copy, to update those tweaks you had previously changed.
Good info, alternatively the file can be left in the same directory and just renamed. Then, as you stated, restarting calibre builds a new tweaks.py with all of the current optional tweaks listed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Good info, alternatively the file can be left in the same directory and just renamed. Then, as you stated, restarting calibre builds a new tweaks.py with all of the current optional tweaks listed.
There is a second tweak file, this is the one that gets updated.
I just open both in Notepad++ (2 notpads works, also) and copy stuff over.
So far, the real tweaks are 1 liners , all the rest is notes to the human.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
CrimsonCherries
CrimsonCherries began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is a second tweak file, this is the one that gets updated.
I just open both in Notepad++ (2 notpads works, also) and copy stuff over.
So far, the real tweaks are 1 liners , all the rest is notes to the human.
What is the file name of the second tweak file? My changes don't stay after I save and close the file or restart Calibre. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I've found all the suggestions to be very helpful.
CrimsonCherries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonCherries View Post
What is the file name of the second tweak file? My changes don't stay after I save and close the file or restart Calibre. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I've found all the suggestions to be very helpful.
See Preferences | Advanced | Tweaks
This is an easy way to see what you have set and what is available to set. (It's new.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
CrimsonCherries
CrimsonCherries began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
See Preferences | Advanced | Tweaks
This is an easy way to see what you have set and what is available to set. (It's new.)
Awesome! I didn't even notice the Tweaks tab before. That solved my problem. Thank you!!
CrimsonCherries is offline   Reply With Quote