Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Restoring Firmware after PRS+

PRS+ created some files starting 1.2 as I 'downgraded' to the US firmware in order to try PRS+

I can't seem to find instructions on what to do with these files to get the UK firmware back on there - there is no download on Sony or anything either (not for UK anyway).

I might sell the 505 so would prefer to restore to UK rather than US firmware.

suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Did you save the backup files, created by PRS+ installer?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Yes - there are about 6-7 files (I am not at the relevant computer) that mostly or all start with 1.2 (which I guess is related to the firmware version in the UK).

I moved them off the device and on to a folder on my pc to back them up.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

suecsi
You have to create md5 files with md5 hash of the saved files (using, for example this or any other utility http://www.winmd5.com/) you only need rootfs and fsk.

Download installer, in PRSPInstaller\Sony Reader\software\firmware\505\ replace:
1) Fsk.img with corresponding backup file
2) Edit Fsk.img.md5 and put updated hash info there
3) 1.1.00.18040.root file with corresponding backup file (1.2....)
4) Edit 1.1.00.18040.root.md5 content accordingly

Then start PRS+ installer, go to advanced settings, force flash root fs then force flash fsk.

That should restore your UK firmware.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
suecsi
Rock Chick

So I only need to create the md5 files for the backed up versions of rootfs and fsk?

Edit these two files in the PRSP installer directory as above (steps 2 and 4).

For Steps 1 and 3, replace those named files with the same named files from the backup.

Go to PRS+ installer and do the flash root and flash fsk (assume these will be options under Advanced Settings.

Sorry if I am repeating what you told me - just trying to get it clear in my own head as this is the first time I've ever flashed an e-reader device!
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author

suecsi
Yes, you got it right.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
suecsi
Rock Chick

kartu

I don't have files in the backup called fsk.img or

This is what I have:-

1.2.00.18050.boot
1.2.00.18050.boot.0
1.2.00.18050.fsk
1.2.00.18050.fsk.0
1.2.00.18050.root
1.2.00.18050.root.0
1.2.00.18050.root2
1.2.00.18050.root2.0

So I can see what files I need to replace at step 3 with the hash from 1.2.00.18050.root

Do I actually need to create 2 new files called rootfs and fsk?

I'm a little confused

Could you possibly point me in the right direction of which files from the above relate to each step?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
kartu
PRS+ author

1.2.00.18050.fsk => this is your Fsk.img
1.2.00.18050.root => this is your 1.1.00.18040.root

.0 files mean that you've backed it up 2 times ^^.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
suecsi
Rock Chick

Hi Kartu

I have done all above and got the option to flash root under Expert Options - but not the option to flash fsk. I have done the flash root and rebooted, for the moment it is still the same.

What step did I miss (unintentionally).

At least it is not bricked - still works fine but is still under PRS+ firmware version.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author

suecsi
You did everything right.
PRS+ is located only in FSK. It seems to work just fine with UK firmware.

The option to flash Fsk partition is called "Flash PRS+ Firmware".