Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
108 Short Stories

I didn't know that Sci-fi.com did fiction (or used to at least)

Fount this while browsing.

Michael Swanwick's
Periodic Table of Science Fiction

It is presented as a periodic table of the elements and each element has an attached story.

Looks good but now for the bad news. Each element opens up as a pop-up HTML story.

I've had a little look at them and each story is very small. I'm tempted to put them together into a HTML file to place on my 505.

Here is the link

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/periodictable.html
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I'll have to look it over when I go home tonight.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Maybe I counted wrong, but it looks like 118 short stories.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Scifi.com used to feature an extensive story site. For reasons unbeknownst, SciFi does not update this site anymore. But there still is a very large archive online that is available at no cost. The site is very slow, though, but does contain more than 118 stories.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Didn't I just read a few days ago that element number 112 is not officially recognized?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Scifi.com used to feature an extensive story site. For reasons unbeknownst, SciFi does not update this site anymore. But there still is a very large archive online that is available at no cost. The site is very slow, though, but does contain more than 118 stories.
The site had to be closed to new fiction when the Sci-Fi channel decided to stop paying for it. Up until that point, it was one of the very best paying markets from a writer's point of view -- it's why the quality of the fiction is so very high.

Another reason, of course, was the editor: Ellen Datlow.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the link! I spent about an hour yesterday evening clicking around in there. Very Cute!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Didn't I just read a few days ago that element number 112 is not officially recognized?
Well, I certainly wouldn't recognise it
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Of the first five I clicked on, two were fanfiction. (2, Helium, and 50, Tin.) I wonder how many others are riffs on public domain stories?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I clicked neptunium and scandium and a few others, going for the oddest letter combos to see what Swanwick made of them. Ytterium. Such a strange word.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I clicked neptunium and scandium and a few others, going for the oddest letter combos to see what Swanwick made of them. Ytterium. Such a strange word.
Seeing your post I remembered that I read something about four periodic elements named after a little village in Sweden. It was in Isaac Asimov's "Introduction to Science".

Here is this information, in the Galactic Encyclopedia (a.k.a. Wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ytterby

Regards,

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Of course, you know what new ebooks readers are made of - unobtainium.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Of course, you know what new ebooks readers are made of - unobtainium.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 AM   #14
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I must say I've been rediscovering the SciFiction archives myself recently. I was very aware of the site while it was online, but despite the magnificent quality of the fiction (as I'm finding out) I only ever read one story from it (Lucius Shephard, I think it was called Two Trains Running), simply because I can't and won't read fiction off of a computer screen. So I've been copying and pasting stories as rtf files and reading them on my Sony 505, which is of course an infinitely better way to read them. There's more than five years worth of stuff there, and Datlow is, as someone pointed out, one of the very best editors in the business.

It makes me wonder how SciFiction might have fared if it was still around, since frankly we need something like that more than ever.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I'm a great lover of Fan Fiction and used to love reading off the Farscape Fan site. I still have many of the stories on my computer, they were that good. I've recently started looking at other fan sites for stories based on the new Star Trek movie. Fun stuff.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote