Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Post Difference between displaying PDF and LRF

I was not satisfied with the LRF default font because it can not display UTF-8 encoding used by the Romanian language. So I've decided to create all my books in PDF format.

It was ok for a while but then, after reading some articles about customizing the reader, I've made the big step. I have modified the default font with Caecilia, the same one I was using in the PDF books.
I am now very satisfied reading books in LRF format, especialy because the pages flips faster.

Recently I have noticed that the LRF books are displayed a litle bit better on the eink screen than the PDF books, even with the same font type and size.
The letters looks sharper, darker and better on the reader displaying LRF. For the eye is giving the nice impression of reading a thicker black text.

Have a look on the attached picture. The above word is from an LRF file and the one below is from a PDF file. For example, look very closely to the letter "C" serifs.

I can live with this, I'm not that perfectionist but I wold like to know if anyone else have noticed the same thing on his reader.

Some books are very hard to be converted to LRF (but are easy to be printed as a PDF) and I really have started to enjoy the LRF look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRF&PDF_display_diff.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	28670  

Last edited by Burliburd; 05-11-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote