Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
there has been much discussion of ways for local indy bookshops to remain relevant in the new reading landscape. the obvious first step is to make ebook download kiosks available in the shops, of course, but many people have also suggested adding a social dimension that is not available online ; author readings, bookgroups and discussions, theme nights, games, artist shows... i think the bookshop / café / community center would have a brilliant future ahead of it and could create a really interesting symbiosis with ebooks.

nekokami and Taylor514ce both had some very interesting ideas on the subject, if you want to try to find those threads.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
This issue isn't confined to the book trade - retailers in all areas are having to come to terms with price competition from internet sales.

I don't know how it will work out, but high-street retailers need to find a way to compete on prices or services, or they'll go bust. We may not like it, but that's the way it is.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #18
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ebook publishers

Devils Advocate here...

What about the authors and books that are published by the smaller publishing houses that primarily selling ebooks online, with only a few paperback sales because very simply they are so small.

These give authors a chance to be published and sell their work, even if it is not through one of the major publishing houses.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Devils Advocate here...

What about the authors and books that are published by the smaller publishing houses that primarily selling ebooks online, with only a few paperback sales because very simply they are so small.

These give authors a chance to be published and sell their work, even if it is not through one of the major publishing houses.

Amy
Here is a case where an in-store Kiosk could help sales by providing a connection between the author and the customer with very little overhead for the store itself, so long as the dealer was able to control the content availability.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #20
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The obvious solution is that the B&M bookstores would have hard copies of the books available for browsing, which could then be downloaded in-store. And of course you have the personal interaction of a bookseller who knows your tastes and can connect you with other books you will like.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I have done before is go to the library and browse the new books section and take note of the books that interested me. Then I go home and see which of them are available as eBooks and go from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #22
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I remember a VHS rental store in my hometown. It closed down due to Blockbuster-type franchises. Now those same Blockbuster-type stores are changing to digital rental/membership stores or closing down themselves. I believe they can't compete against the 1$ Redbox type rentals. Yes, the old-type bookstores will go away. Only a few 'Rare Book' speciality stores will remain and discount resellers/pawn who will not only sell books but CDs and DVD used.

Just because you have fond memories of something is no reason to keep it going if it can't pay for itself. The only exceptions are Libraries and Museums who don't expect to make money on their services and survive through funding. It's sad but life marches on. I don't think the movie theatre has long either with everyone getting home theatres. Maybe a few big special theatres like 'Radio City' and not those 12 plexes they built 15 years ago. I think a lot of malls will be closing also, they just built too many and now they can't find people to rent the space. In Georgia I see a lot of empty stores and this didn't just happen. The Walmarts, Targets, Costco, Home Depot, Carmax are eating away at the small dealers, small stores. I also remember a lot of 'craft' shops a while back, they seem to be thinning out also.

I'm one of those people with a home theatre, a Macpro with 4TB of Hardrive space and another in backups. I have a huge DVD collection (over 2 thousand) and a large CD collection (all ripped into my iTunes). The only time I buy a book is if it's a picture book or magazine. I buy online as much/often as I buy at a store.

Last edited by pagansoul; 12-02-2008 at 10:55 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm from Alabama, and we don't have no stinkin' bookstores around here!

Seriously however, in my home community, the only way to buy books is at the grocery store or Walmart. Otherwise, it is 11 miles to work and the college bookstore across the street, 20 miles to a mall with chain bookstores, or down the road a bit to the thrift store for used books (my favorite B&M).

Amazon has been my first choice bookstore since its inception. I can surf there, buy a bunch of books for next to nothing, and they are brought to my house. I'm sure my mailman has wondered why there have not been many smiling Amazon boxes in the past year.

So going "e" has not impacted my community of non-readers one tiny bit.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #24
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I see no reason at all why bookstores cannot sell ebooks. I enjoy looking around bookstores, but I would prefer to buy ebooks. There is no reason why they couldn't allow a terminal for you to swipe your credit card when you've decided on a book & download it onto either the device or your flash card/usb device. The biggest holdup in ebooks, DRM an also be covered as you'd have to type in your PID or however else you do it. Technically I don't see it being any more difficult than trying to get photos printed from High St stores with your flash/CDROM or camera from these instore print terminals.

Even better if you could take the book, swipe it's bar code & the terminal then tells you what you can do with it...

Several shops have ebook stores, WHSmith & Waterstones for example it is surely the next stage to link the 2 for easier access & browsing.
Here is an example of an ebook seller partnering with brick and mortar retail stores. I thought that was interesting. It's a Christian ebook seller called Symtio. They seem to be partnering with or at least promoting the Sony Reader.

http://www.symtio.com

Unfortunately there isn't a retail store very near to me, but after questioning customer service, they said that I could order from them online and support the retail store of my choice. I think that they are fairly new and adding new stores, so I'm hoping they will soon be at my favorite store soon. But I like that I can order online as well. It's nice to have both options.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Ultimately (as with music) I generally don't want to buy local - because the internet makes it possible to buy directly from the author.

This assumes the author is still living - but I have watched this model work from the early MP3.com days, and the internet makes it viable. How many fewer readers does an author need to support a writing career when the author collects all the money?

This article is about evolving publishing models in the music industry, but I maintain that the assertions it makes are applicable to print as well. Why not hire a firm to edit your work at a flat rate - if you are capable of marketing and distributing yourself?

Thoughts?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #26
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Ultimately (as with music) I generally don't want to buy local - because the internet makes it possible to buy directly from the author.

This assumes the author is still living - but I have watched this model work from the early MP3.com days, and the internet makes it viable. How many fewer readers does an author need to support a writing career when the author collects all the money?
It's not that simple with publishing. Authors require editing and publicity services that currently are provided and paid for by the publishers. Trust me, for the most part you wouldn't want to pay to read someone's unedited manuscript. And it's really hard to get buzz about your work without the publicity provided by publishers. Their publicity folks have connections--they can get a book reviewed, get it in front of booksellers, get the author on TV or radio or in the papers. These are all really important to making a book sell. Just setting up a website and hoping people will find you doesn't work. That's why the self-publishing model has failed except for a very few cases. And an author needs time to write, not do his or her own publicity.

I do think the publishing paradigm as it currently exists needs work, and ebooks becoming popular might be both an opportunity and an excuse for such a reworking. But you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #27
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
But, but... Amazon is very local. It is everywhere I have an internet-connected browser! I gave up on most mom and pop stores. There are exceptions, such as a most-excellent local hardware store with helpful staff, but the added value of being "local" doesn't carry much weight with me.

I do like to sniff and fondle books. But I've cut back on brick-and-mortar book shopping since I'm such a heavy e-reader now.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #28
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Here is an example of an ebook seller partnering with brick and mortar retail stores. I thought that was interesting. It's a Christian ebook seller called Symtio. They seem to be partnering with or at least promoting the Sony Reader.

http://www.symtio.com

Unfortunately there isn't a retail store very near to me, but after questioning customer service, they said that I could order from them online and support the retail store of my choice. I think that they are fairly new and adding new stores, so I'm hoping they will soon be at my favorite store soon. But I like that I can order online as well. It's nice to have both options.
I mentioned in other posts that you received a free ebook for registering an account with them, but was corrected by someone who paid much closer attention than I , that it was in fact an audiobook. I contacted customer service and asked if I could have the ebook version for my freebie, instead of the audiobook. She happily made that swap for me. So, if you take advantage of this, be sure to contact customer service to request the ebook instead. I also purchased my my first two books from their site and it was a smooth and easy transaction for a newbie like me. Right now their selection of audiobooks is larger than the selection of ebooks, but hopefully soon that area will grow! Very pleased with the shopping experience and the retailer closest to me got credit for my purchase!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote