Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
erikk
Enthusiast
erikk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Doc Savage Novels?

So I think I've searched all the venues I am aware of but does anyone know of any place to get the Doc Savage novels for the Sony Reader? Or any format that can be converted to Sony Reader?
erikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
No. They are not available in ebook form. They are still under copyright.

They were posted some time ago by BlackMask. They were subsequently sued for posting them and forced to remove them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post
So I think I've searched all the venues I am aware of but does anyone know of any place to get the Doc Savage novels for the Sony Reader? Or any format that can be converted to Sony Reader?
Blackmask.com used to have all of them in a variety of formats, but got hit with a take down order from Conde Nast over those and a set of Shadow novels, and went off the air rather suddenly. Blackmask is back as Munseys.com, minus that content.

Meanwhile, a fair bit of the Doc Savage stuff seems to have migrated to Project Gutenberg Australia, and are available in text and HTML format. Australian copyright laws are a bit different than ours, and some stuff is in PD there that isn't here.

Go here http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-n-z.html and scroll down to Kenneth Robeson.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
erikk
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick replies. Now that I know abut the blackmask issue I understand why I got all those hits in search that didn't make any sense. I've now read further into those threads and understand the issue better.

So they're not in ebook format anywhere legit? I'm sure I can get access to the original blackmask DVD (a friend has the original) but to my knowledge the version I can get is .lit and that'll be a pain to convert.

It's unfortunate that publishers lack of support drives people to alternate sources. I would have happily (ok I'll be honest, not happily but you know what I mean) paid for the books if there was an easy and affordable place to buy them. The music industry learned its lesson just barely in time; let's hope the ebook industry does too.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. Now that I know abut the blackmask issue I understand why I got all those hits in search that didn't make any sense. I've now read further into those threads and understand the issue better.
Blackmask had them up for a long time. Conde Nast finally got around to noticing them. Blackmask's proprietor chose to fight it in court, claiming that Conde Nast had effectively forfeited its rights by leaving the books lying fallow for years and making no attempt to develop the properties or republish the books. The court apparently disagreed, as the site went off the air shortly after.

Quote:
So they're not in ebook format anywhere legit? I'm sure I can get access to the original blackmask DVD (a friend has the original) but to my knowledge the version I can get is .lit and that'll be a pain to convert.
The original Blackmask DVD should have all of the formats in which it issued books. That didn't include the Sony Reader, so conversion would be required in any case.

Quote:
It's unfortunate that publishers lack of support drives people to alternate sources. I would have happily (ok I'll be honest, not happily but you know what I mean) paid for the books if there was an easy and affordable place to buy them. The music industry learned its lesson just barely in time; let's hope the ebook industry does too.
The music industry is still learning the lesson.

I suspect the book industry has a different set of motives. Someone on another forum a while back was railing about the fact that any comic book was available on the net in high quality scanned images the day after release, and he could help identify the pirates and who should he talk to to Do Something about it? The basic answer, from folks who should know, was "Nobody. Marvel and DC don't care that the books are scanned and on the net immediately. That's not where they make their money. They make their money licensing the characters to the movies."

I think that may be Conde Nast's motive. They aren't interested in re-issuing the titles as paper or ebooks. They just want to make sure the rights are nailed down and they get a fee if anyone decides to do a Doc Savage or Shadow movie or TV production.
______
Dennis
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
erikk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The original Blackmask DVD should have all of the formats in which it issued books. That didn't include the Sony Reader, so conversion would be required in any case.
You're right, looks like it's LIT and HTML.

Quote:
The music industry is still learning the lesson.
Definitely agree there.

Quote:

I suspect the book industry has a different set of motives. Someone on another forum a while back was railing about the fact that any comic book was available on the net in high quality scanned images the day after release, and he could help identify the pirates and who should he talk to to Do Something about it? The basic answer, from folks who should know, was "Nobody. Marvel and DC don't care that the books are scanned and on the net immediately. That's not where they make their money. They make their money licensing the characters to the movies."

I think that may be Conde Nast's motive. They aren't interested in re-issuing the titles as paper or ebooks. They just want to make sure the rights are nailed down and they get a fee if anyone decides to do a Doc Savage or Shadow movie or TV production.
______
Dennis
That's a shame that they don't just release them on ebook format also.

Thanks for the input; just getting into the ebook world with my PRS-505 on its way (stupid CDW shipped it JUST so it'd miss my trip next week). Been going out and downloading all the books I can find that I'm interested in. I think have enough books to start reading now and not stop until the PRS-50000000005 comes out (that's the one that beams the story directly into your frontal lobe and you live it in first person).
Old 12-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
HTML is my preference.

Quote:
That's a shame that they don't just release them on ebook format also.
I suspect they don't see a way of making enough money to justify the effort. And which ebook format? Sony Reader? Amazon Kindle? MobiPocket? Something else?

Quote:
Thanks for the input; just getting into the ebook world with my PRS-505 on its way (stupid CDW shipped it JUST so it'd miss my trip next week). Been going out and downloading all the books I can find that I'm interested in. I think have enough books to start reading now and not stop until the PRS-50000000005 comes out (that's the one that beams the story directly into your frontal lobe and you live it in first person).
I grabbed the HTML versions of all the Doc Savage and Shadow novels back when Blackmask was still operational. I have them all on my PDA, and I'm combing through my collected archives to find the original HTML files and properly name and label them.

I'm not interested in a dedicated ebook reader -- I need a device that does other things as well. So I use a Tapwave Zodiac 2, which is a PalmOS based PDA with a 320x480 screen, and convert to the format used by Plucker, an offline HTML viewer for Palm OS devices. Plucker supports fonts, text attributes, hyperlinks and embedded images, and is just dandy for books I can get in HTML. Essentially, I want to download ebooks once, and read them on whatever I happen to have available, so HTML is a good format for me because I can read the books in a browser on desktop or laptop, and convert easily for the PDA.

I was annoyed when I heard the Sony Reader used LRF as the native format. Oh, great. Just what we need. Yet Another Proprietary eBook Format people who issue ebooks need to support. Lack of a single common format everyone will agree to use is one of the things standing in the way of ebook adoption.
______
Dennis
Old 12-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
erikk
Enthusiast

I use an AT&T Tilt WM6 cell phone and I've tried reading on it but my eyes can't stand the strain especially after how long I stare at a monitor all day. I'm looking forward to the e-ink reader. Reading on it seems like a vacation for my eyes.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Well the LIT's would certainly be a snap to convert thanks to libprs500 (lit2lrf).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
I use an AT&T Tilt WM6 cell phone and I've tried reading on it but my eyes can't stand the strain especially after how long I stare at a monitor all day. I'm looking forward to the e-ink reader. Reading on it seems like a vacation for my eyes.
Yeah, that can be an issue. I don't find reading ebooks on the Zodiac a problem, and I stare at a monitor all day, too, but I've encountered a fair number of folks who find e-Ink a much more comfortable solution for reading electronically.

I wouldn't mind a larger screen and higher resolution on my device, but I want color (which is not currently an option for e-Ink), and a device that does other things bedsides display ebooks. I'm currently lusting after a Nokia 800 Tablet, but can't justify it till it gets a decent PIM suite.
______
Dennis
Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
That's odd. About a year or two ago, ebookmall.com had loads of Doc Savage ebooks available in Mobipocket format. I bought the first 6 of them, but now they no longer have them. Now I'm interested in re-acquiring the books I had, plus many more, in .lit format, but they are gone. I guess it turned out they didn't have the right to sell them. Same thing with The Shadow. It's disappointing. I want pulpy ebook goodness!
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
erikk
Enthusiast

Check out the Australian Project Gutenberg site mentioned above. They have a lot of them on there.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
How many Doc Savage novels were there total?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Check out the Australian Project Gutenberg site mentioned above. They have a lot of them on there.
... and they are still illegal to download if you're in the US. That may or may not concern you, but it should be noted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
How many Doc Savage novels were there total?
See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Savage
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote