Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #61
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I also found that the uSD card has quite a effect on the time it took to display the books stored there. There was a discussion together with some test results for various brands
Interesting stuff. I bet it matters how you format the SD card too. The Kobo will automount FAT, EXT2/3/4 and probably NTFS (and loads of others), and some formats are bound to be faster than others.

FYI, You don't have to remove the external SD when performing a factory reset - it won't be touched, but it will be rescanned when the Kobo reboots.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #62
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by magphil View Post
Is there any way to get the chapter progress bar back ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah- View Post
Not at the moment but it might come back some time. I haven't looked at it yet to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Ah that's a shame. For me, that's the most important part of this "hack."

My biggest appreciation for finding time to implement it again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedelxt View Post
for me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano View Post
dito, das ist eigentlich das Beste daran

I would still looooove me some of this, please!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #63
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While the factory reset does clear storage the logout/login option only wipes out the database so I think it should still find the ePubs on the file system
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Interesting stuff. I bet it matters how you format the SD card too. The Kobo will automount FAT, EXT2/3/4 and probably NTFS (and loads of others), and some formats are bound to be faster than others.

FYI, You don't have to remove the external SD when performing a factory reset - it won't be touched, but it will be rescanned when the Kobo reboots.
The main reason for removing the external card is to speed up getting to the user interface after the factory reset. If everything looks okay, than I can insert the card and wait for it to be processed. Trying things like stuffing fonts into the upgrade has given some "interesting" results. As in Eric Frank Russell's "May you live in interesting times".

As for the card format, I've had bad experiences with the newer firmware and formats other than FAT32. They appeared to be tied to an attempt to create the overflow directory which the newer firmware creates on the external card. I've not tested this with 2.4.0.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #65
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingyar View Post
It seems that 3 items are forced : Browser, Chess and Tweak Settings.
For your personnal commands, you can prefix them by a number.
I did it, it works well : (names of commands are in French ... me too
[CustomCommands]
1-Veille=tweaks.sleep()
2-Eteindre=tweaks.powerOff()
3-Redémarrer=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/bin/busybox reboot\")
4-Récompenses=tweaks.readingLife()
5-WiFi=tweaks.connectWifi()
Tz, tz, tz, not satisfied with my not working tweaks in spite of PeterT's exact advice, I simply copied/pasted the report of Mingyar (and translated it, of course), and now it works properly, beeing quite the same as what Peter recommended. Certainly a mistake of mine.

Thanks to PeterT. and davidfor![
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #66
lsmod
lsmod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am a new user and i am gladly get the tweak running now.
Thank you ah- !

The only thing is that the Tweak Options for the "Startbildschirm" are empty?
And i can't reach the "Lesestatistiken" now.

It's not so easy to get it togehter how to fetch all the additional features.
In the history it seems that there where some mod's for the footer of the reader?
Are this lost now for version 2.4.0 ?

Code:
[Reader]
showProgress=true
tweakFooter=true
What i really miss is to show a simply clock.
It is existant but can't be used.
Is it possible to show it?
When not in the footer then somewhere in the main screen?

Last edited by lsmod; 03-29-2013 at 12:31 PM.
lsmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #67
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi Guys,

Just 2 little questions :

1- Have you found a way to reduce brigthness under the default limit ? Endeed, by default we can only set it between 30% (i dont know the value, it's just an example) and 100% bt not under... and it's too bright when you read in the complete night)

2- Do you know a plugin for "night mode" (white text on dark background) ? it should be a good way to reduce brightness.

NB : sorry for my bad english, i'm french.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #68
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I would try to install this plugin. I've read somewhere - I can't find it anymore... - that it's better to do a backup of the SD before doing any change to the firmware. Must I simply copy the entire contents of the device connected to USB, or is there some other partition to backup? Is there some other precaution I must follow?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #69
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Ok, I've re-found the page. It seems complicated, since I've not a SD reader and I'm not happy about opening the device.
I noticed that Kobo Glo has a pin hole, next to the USB port. It should a factory reset pin. If something goes bad I think I could use it and restore the software, copying the 2.4.0 firmware, downloaded from the direct link, and all the contents of the fat32 partition I previously backed up. Or not?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 04-16-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The plugin can't break the Kobo devices so badly that you can't do a factory reset. If it hangs or something, the pinhole will probably restart it. If not, then have a search here for how to do a factory reset when you can't get to the menus.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #71
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Durn! The tweaks do not work with v2.5....
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #72
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Durn! The tweaks do not work with v2.5....
That's just because the plugin is checking to see which firmware version you have before it starts, and when it sees that you're not using 2.4 it exits. If you tell it that 2.5 is OK, it works just fine. Add these lines to kobotweaks.ini:
Code:
[Global]
compatFirmware=2.5.0
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #73
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
That's just because the plugin is checking to see which firmware version you have before it starts, and when it sees that you're not using 2.4 it exits. If you tell it that 2.5 is OK, it works just fine. Add these lines to kobotweaks.ini:
Code:
[Global]
compatFirmware=2.5.0

Thanks!

Last edited by volpo; 04-19-2013 at 12:08 AM.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #74
nixxo
nixxo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
hi ah-,
thank you for this good tweak.

I've found a different behaviour when you set a different affiliate in the affiliate.conf file.

I don't like the vendor for my country (Mondadori - Italy) to show up every time so I simply changed the affiliate.conf file.

The problem is that with this change KoboTweaks don't show up right away but you have to do something (opening a book, accessing shelves, etc.).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze2gZnd77ck

With the affiliate specified (Mondadori) the KoboTweaks works like a charm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFt9Q8CSPnE

Why is that? will it be fixed?

Regards, Nicola.

p.s. sorry for the bad english.
nixxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #75
joris_
joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Nikko: that's a known issue; see https://github.com/ah-/koboplugins/wiki/Kobo-Tweaks (under "Installation", pt. 5).

As far as I know, this happens because the tweaks code is injected via a file handler plugin, and those are normally only loaded when you view the library.
joris_ is offline   Reply With Quote