Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
CanonFan
CanonFan began at the beginning.

Device: none
TOC Disappears after adding metadata..Help!

Hi All,

I'm new to creating epub files. In fact, I'm working on my first one. I created my book file in InDesign comprised of individual chapter files so that my TOC would be set up accordingly. I exported to epub, opened my file in Adobe Digital Editions. Great. I then opened my epub file in Sigil in order to add metadata. Now, when I open my validated epub in any reader, my TOC is gone and I just have something that says "start".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Kris
CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonFan View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to creating epub files. In fact, I'm working on my first one. I created my book file in InDesign comprised of individual chapter files so that my TOC would be set up accordingly. I exported to epub, opened my file in Adobe Digital Editions. Great. I then opened my epub file in Sigil in order to add metadata. Now, when I open my validated epub in any reader, my TOC is gone and I just have something that says "start".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Kris
This is normal for Sigil .3.x which uses only h1,h2,h3 for TOC
Sigil .4 will make this optional (and put the whole edit burden on them if they choose this option)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

I've had this same issue enough times to be frustrated by it. I'm not sure what ".4 will make this optional" means since it sounds like editing the metadata will make it optional to destroy the TOC, which I don't think was what you meant. But I cannot understand why Sigil would erase an existing TOC with no warning, especially when the TOS is working according to what rules I've seen.
But I've also had some experience when I simply opened a file in Sigil to add an image, and then found that it had wiped the TOC. I didn't edit metadata, just inserted an image...ug..
Love Sigil, but I think an update or quick patch to stop this issue would be very helpful until .4 comes out.
-JTT
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
This is the way Sigil works in 0.3.4. It is by design. When you save an epub in Sigil 0.3.4 (or below), the opf and ncx is recreated. These files contain, besides other things, the TOC and the metadata. This was the only way the validity of the file could be garantueed. You could use the TOC editor in those versions to see what would be in the TOC. The original would be gone.

In Sigil 0.4 this is changed. By default the opf and ncx files are kept and not overwritten. That is great if you just want to edit an epub and want to keep the structure intact (including TOC). However, if you do more than that and the TOC will change, you have two choices. Edit the ncx of opf yourself to make it correspond to the rest of the epub or recreate TOC. That will change/recreate the ncx and opf again.

So basically, you have the choice. It is not a bug, it is by deliberate design.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
...In Sigil 0.4 this is changed. By default the opf and ncx files are kept and not overwritten. That is great if you just want to edit an epub and want to keep the structure intact (including TOC). However, if you do more than that and the TOC will change, you have two choices. Edit the ncx of opf yourself to make it correspond to the rest of the epub or recreate TOC. That will change/recreate the ncx and opf again.

So basically, you have the choice. It is not a bug, it is by deliberate design.
That will be great since for me I often only need to edit a page or add something that shouldn't change the TOC.

That said, if I do have a TOC already and want to keep it, wouldn't it seem more reasonable to have Sigil use the existing TOC and give the option to wipe/recreate it only if the user wants that? In my experience, once a TOC is built and working, I'd much rather keep and tweak it, or be able to simply add to it, before I'd ever want to just wipe it and start over. So even if something required a change to the TOC, the option to edit or add to the existing TOC seems like a more prudent option than being forced to start from scratch. But I usually keep a copy of the toc.ncx and after I've saved things I simply unzip the epub file and replace the empty Sigil one with my original. It works...no worries.
-JTT
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttraverse View Post
That said, if I do have a TOC already and want to keep it, wouldn't it seem more reasonable to have Sigil use the existing TOC and give the option to wipe/recreate it only if the user wants that?
This is exactly how 0.4.0 works.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote