Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
convert word doc to read on Sony reader

Can i just save the word doucumet as something? e.g XML and then view it in my reader?

Thanks
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I'm sure there's lots of people here who will give much better advice than I, but I've been saving text files as rich text files (.rtf) using Microsoft Word, and they work fine for me on my PRS-505. They also worked fine with my PRS-500.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

did you do any particular formatting in word like page size or anything?

ta
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Can i just save the word doucumet as something? e.g XML and then view it in my reader?

Thanks
You have a few choices. One is to save as RFT. But you'll want to up the font to some size between 14 and 17 point. You'd have to experiment to find out what you prefer.

The other choices are to take the DOC file and run it through Book Designer and do any fixing up and output it as LRF. If this is an eBook and you want to put in ToC links and save it as RTF, you can use rtf2lrf to convert it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
No, I usually just open the .doc file with Word and do an immediate "save as" to .rtf. I usually get readable files, but sometimes the text is a little small. Next time, I'll do what JSWolf suggests and change the font size.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I save text files as rtf with 16-point Times font, and that works well for me.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Thanks all this is for some short stories so seems like basic save to RTF will be fine.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
GBC
Enthusiast
GBC doesn't litterGBC doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500, PRS 505, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch
You might try using bold text as well as changing the font size and style. It works well for me.
GBC is offline   Reply With Quote