Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #21256
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day
I was out choppin' cotton and my brother was balin' hay
And at dinner time we stopped and walked back to the house to eat
And Mama hollered out the back door "y'all remember to wipe your feet"
And then she said "I got some news this mornin' from Choctaw Ridge"
"Today Billy Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge"

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYIkOyooATY )

Good morning, all! Thor's day today. Watch out for hammers! East India Company has kindly provided me with 'Assam' tea today, and it's the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of rice and a package of crab legs! 200 calories and I'm ready to rock and roll. I'm looking for some hills today... Must be the masochist in me, but I want the extra Quad workout. Time to think about balancing the other mukkels in me legs rather than just walking along the flats. And as it's actually a bit cooler this morning, I've got the urge. And I have a feeling that I'm going to go under the 90K line by Saturday if I just give a little extra push today and tomorrow...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #21257
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Swoon .... one of my favorite songs! Anyone who hasn't heard it, should listen to all the verses. It tells a great story.

Here's a lovely version of the full song:

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 09-19-2012 at 09:22 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #21258
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Last of my Latte in my cup and a snack of peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #21259
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero #1
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #21260
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Late afternoon... or early evening Keemun tea as I prepare Chinese Beef with Black Bean Sauce for dindin.

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #21261
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
What is dindin?

[water]
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #21262
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
What is dindin?

[water]
Sounds like baby talk for Dinner
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #21263
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
What is dindin?

[water]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Sounds like baby talk for Dinner

Breakie to start the day, dindin to end it.

All sorts of words for 'food.' 'Scran' (Stuff Cooked by Royal Australian Navy,) 'Chow,' the corruption of the Chinese term to stir-fry, 'Sh$t on a Shingle' ( Military name for creamed chipped beef on toast. The list is endless.

Stitchawl
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #21264
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero #3 after a good morning's work.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #21265
Stitchawl
Opsimath

We just received an invitation to attend a formal tea ceremony in Kyoto being presented by one of the cities foremost Cha-do masters! There will just be the Master, my wife, and me attending in this tiny tea ceremonial house behind his garden. While I really can't stand the taste of the tea used for Cha-no-yu, the ceremony itself is nothing short of magnificent even when performed by a good student. To be invited to attend one given by a Master is like getting front row center seats at the Opera House in Vienna when Pavarotti sings...

Do you think he'd be offended if I asked him to use Lipton tea bags?

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chado.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	92659  
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #21266
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I will be offended for him. I am insanely jealous.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #21267
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Breakie to start the day, dindin to end it.

All sorts of words for 'food.' 'Scran' (Stuff Cooked by Royal Australian Navy,) 'Chow,' the corruption of the Chinese term to stir-fry, 'Sh$t on a Shingle' ( Military name for creamed chipped beef on toast. The list is endless.

Stitchawl
'Scran' is a word I've heard and used for a long time for food. Certainly here in the Midlands of the UK and also where I used to work, in the North East. I assumed that this wasn't because of the acronym you quoted, so I looked it up (here);

Quote:
Scran has long been used as slang in the British army and navy for rations. ....

The first recorded sense of scran, from the early eighteenth century, actually refers to a reckoning at a tavern. By the early 1800s the word was being used almost exclusively in relation to food. The implications seemed always to be that it was inferior or scrappy food, odds-and-ends, leftovers, and the like. It might be a scratch meal taken by a labourer into the field, or perhaps some miscellaneous items for a holiday excursion or picnic, as well as those soldiers’ and seamen’s rations.
It was widely used in London in the nineteenth century. An example appears in a letter by the Victorian social writer Henry Mayhew that was published in the Morning Chronicle in November 1849: “Others beg ‘scran’ (broken victuals) of the servants at respectable houses, and bring it home to the lodging-house, where they sell it.” If you were out on the scran, you were begging food; you might have a scran bag to hold your gleanings. There’s also the Anglo-Irish bad scran to you, an imprecation that curses you with ill luck, literally wishing bad food on you. And scran bag has long been used in the Royal Navy for the place where confiscated personal possessions or lost property were kept until retrieved or sold.
Unfortunately, as often is the case, we have no good idea where the word comes from. A link was once suggested with the Icelandic skran, rubbish, odds and ends. The Oxford English Dictionary suggests this is probably an accidental similarity, even though the English Dialect Dictionary — based on fieldwork during the later nineteenth century — includes the sense of a morsel or scrap, for example quoting “A scran of a moon hung dead in the south” from an 1881 story.
It is, of course, entirely possible that the word evolved in exactly the way you suggested in a different part of the world, perhaps with some help from the longstanding link to naval tradition.

I do love etymology

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 09-20-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #21268
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
We just received an invitation to attend a formal tea ceremony in Kyoto being presented by one of the cities foremost Cha-do masters! There will just be the Master, my wife, and me attending in this tiny tea ceremonial house behind his garden. While I really can't stand the taste of the tea used for Cha-no-yu, the ceremony itself is nothing short of magnificent even when performed by a good student. To be invited to attend one given by a Master is like getting front row center seats at the Opera House in Vienna when Pavarotti sings...

Do you think he'd be offended if I asked him to use Lipton tea bags?

Stitchawl
That's OK, we'll be offended quite enough to cover it for him. As Profcrash says, I'm insanely jealous. What a wonderful opportunity, and I hope you'll share it with us after.

I drank quite a bit of sencha last night, as I went to dinner at my favourite sushi restaurant. Where I ate way too much, actually, as Manubo-san got a bit carried away. I think he was trying to make up for my having not been there in 8 weeks, all at once.

Today, more Keemun Xian Zhen in the morning, followed by Song Zhong Dan Chong in the afternoon.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #21269
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Sushi.....YUM! I told my wife I am craving it fiercely, and told her to MAKE IT HAPPEN! Hopefully early next week. Anywho, iced coffee in my cup.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #21270
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
What a great honor, Stitchawl (even though you don't like the tea). Please share the experience and some photos with us when you get back.

I must be weird, as I don't like Sushi. Everyone around me (including my son) love it and have their favorite places to go.

Boring, I know, but finishing up my morning coffee.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?