Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sounds more like a problem with the HTML output by ereader2html. There are some threads around here about character problems and how to fix them IIRC.
I'll take your word for it because I don't know HTML, although I have been reading up.

I don't quite follow though. I mean the HTML text, the words of the book, are perfect, including the em dashes, italics, etc. How can the fact that the epub conversions leave out the em dashes be ereader2html's fault? What tag, or lack of one, would cause that?
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
It seems Jetbook inbuilt HTML viewer actually cares about logical structure of HTML document, so if you use logical tags like H1, H2, H3, H4 for headings, you'll probably see a page break before them.
macminer forgive me but I am a beginner. Would you give me an example of what you mean, using my earlier example? Below, I want "Along" to start on another page. Thanks.

I suppose I should mention Indian Jenny, but you’ll meet her along the way. Listen to her. She knows the gospel truth.<br>
<br>
You’ll see.<br>
<br><br><i>Along the western slopes of the Oregon Coastal Range*.*.*. come look: the hysterical crashing of tributaries as they merge into the Wakonda Auga River*.*.*.<br>
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
I'll take your word for it because I don't know HTML, although I have been reading up.

I don't quite follow though. I mean the HTML text, the words of the book, are perfect, including the em dashes, italics, etc. How can the fact that the epub conversions leave out the em dashes be ereader2html's fault? What tag, or lack of one, would cause that?
It has nothing to do with a tag, but how the HTML is encoded IIRC.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
galavanter, here's one of the threads I was thinking of, don't know if it'll help or not...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51861
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #20
galavanter
Zealot

Thank you. It was helpful, in that I learned there is more than meets the eye to these conversions. I tried some steps recommended in that thread, but with no real success.

Now listen to this. I went back to Amazon in frustration to click on the link, "I'd like to read this book on Kindle", which is provided for any book not available yet on the Kindle. Amazon forwards the request to the publisher.

Well it's on the Kindle! I swear I have clicked on that link before, checked numerous times, including just a few days ago before I bought it at ereader.com.

So I bought it, and it converted just fine to epub, just like all my other Amazon purchases have. The book even starts on it's own page.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #21
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
macminer forgive me but I am a beginner. Would you give me an example of what you mean, using my earlier example? Below, I want "Along" to start on another page. Thanks.
I suppose I should mention Indian Jenny, but you’ll meet her along the way. Listen to her. She knows the gospel truth.<br>
<br>
You’ll see.<br>
<h2>If you want to see a page break, it should appear above this heading</h2>

<br><br><i>Along the western slopes of the Oregon Coastal Range*.*.*. come look: the hysterical crashing of tributaries as they merge into the Wakonda Auga River*.*.*.<br>

Just remember that <h2>, <h3>, <h4> tags need to have a corresponding closing tag </h2>, etc.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
galavanter
Zealot

Thanks macminer, it worked great. All I did was add <h2></h2> where I wanted page breaks, and I got them. Too damn bad I had to spot it on Amazon yesterday.

It turns out the reason for the lack of page breaks in the html may be the fault of the publisher, or whomever did the electronic conversion for them.

When I first purchased the book, I noticed that while reading it on eReader on my Mac, the word "Introduction" stayed in the upper left hand corner the entire way through the book. I went into Windows and it was the same. Page breaks were fine.

I emailed eReader.com and got a reply stating that they had confirmed the problem and sent an "urgent" message to the publisher. I should note here that eReader on my Touch does display properly, page breaks included.

Now that I have three different versions, pdb, html, and epub converted from prc, I can see the difference. The ereader version TOC has only one thing in it, "Introduction" (hence my eReader on the desktop problem).

The Amazon version TOC has About the Author, Title Page, Copyright Page, Dedication, and then Introduction. These were all places where I wanted a page break in the html, but didn't have one.

Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited by galavanter; 11-01-2009 at 02:34 PM.