Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
asaxena11
asaxena11 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Post Format conversion tutorial

Hi PRS Gurus,

It will be helpful if someone can take out some time and take a shot on writing step by step pdf to lrf coversion guide specifically for PRS-700.
asaxena11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't want to sound negative, but the best advice I can give you is "don't do it". The PRS-700 displays PDFs reasonably well (as well as any device with a 6" screen can) and conversion from PDF to other formats rarely works terribly well - one generally has to do a lot of "cleanup" on the result.

A tool which seems to work as well as it can be done is Book Designer, but even with that you'll need to put in a lot of work to get a nice-looking LRF book. See my Book Designer tutorials for details of how to use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaxena11 View Post
Hi PRS Gurus,

It will be helpful if someone can take out some time and take a shot on writing step by step pdf to lrf coversion guide specifically for PRS-700.
Try load your pdf in Calibre and select lrf as output. It works quite well for regular text pdf's.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
PDF -> Mobipocket Creator -> PRC -> Calibre -> [EPUB|LRF]
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Why do you build the PRC? MC's HTML files work very well with Calibre and you can fix errors if it's neccessary.

Either:
PDF -> -> PDF goes into Recycle Bin
Or:
PDF -> Mobipocket Creator -> HTML -> manual formatting -> Calibre -> ...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is the tutorial.....

Get Adobe Acrobat and use it to convert the PDF to HTML. Then take the HTML and the PDF and compare the two files until you have a good conversion. Now the effort to compare the PDF to the HTML is not worth the effort.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Quote:
Why not PDF-Calibre directly???
Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Talking

There are many kinds of pdf files. Some have basic formatting, some are really very very complicated. So, there is not one recipe but many solutions.

My try first would be to try to read it straight away, my second to try a calibre convert.

If these two fail and you desperately need the book, you'll have to dirty your hands.
- a multi-column text can be processed with Fine Reader as a rtf, then even text
- a one-column with Acrobat with text and images saved separately and mixed later

As some people told you already on this thread, working with text can solve everything except hours of work...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
I agree with Roger64 in that there are many kinds of pdf files. I've been experimenting with different pdf files and reading them on a Sony 700 at a local Borders. Some display OK but with some errors (usually text associated with graphs is misplaced) and others display quite nicely. For example, I've generated Wiki PDF 'books' and they display very well on the Sony 700. On the other hand, PDF documents I've downloaded from the internet (science publications) appear with errors on the 700.
Probably due to how they are generated, but I'm not sure of the details. I'm still trying to figure this out in more detail.
ddave
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I would add a common sense advice. Suppose you have twenty pdf books you wish to read on your reader. Among them, five are outstanding.

My advice, begin with the other 15 because on the way, you'll learn some tricks and gradually improve your converting technique.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
PDF conversion is not one of Calibre's strengths. There are other tools (BD, Mobi Creator, to name but two) which do a better job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Why do you build the PRC? MC's HTML files work very well with Calibre and you can fix errors if it's neccessary.
I've typically just done it via PRC to have a version I can also read on my phone (E61) if I'm out without the Reader, but I'll bear it in mind & give it a go - the only other concern has been that I've not been sure which of the various generated files might be required alongside the HTML, whereas I've known that the PRC is complete!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
MC's PDF conversion is better than Calibre's in that it picks up things like italics better. Of course, MC's ability to convert to ePub or LRF is a bit lacking! :-)
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
MC's PDF conversion is better than Calibre's in that it picks up things like italics better. Of course, MC's ability to convert to ePub or LRF is a bit lacking! :-)
I tend to read pdf's directly on the 700, but I converted some text ones for various reasons and I have to say I did not find MC better than at least the recent versions of Calibre.

I have not used BD in a long, long time so I cannot comment on that, but I have one or two pdf's for which MC conversion was distinctly worse than Calibre, and several others for which it was comparable.

But again I guess it's a matter of the type of pdf and of what you want/expect from the conversion, and how much time and effort is worth for you. I tend to do "quick and dirty" not worrying overmuch about stuff as long as the book is readable and fast on the 700.

Cropping to the largest extent possible, so only the text of the book remains is also useful for both reading directly the pdf and doing the Calibre conversion since while you may lose things like author's name, page number, title, you gain readability and after all you *know* what's the book and the 700 has page count.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I am currently importing PDFs into Mobipocket Creator, then opening the folder that it makes, locating the html file therein, and dropping it into Book Designer.
This works surprisingly well for many of the PDFs. Italics are preserved. So are pictures. Most of the paragraph endings come out correctly; though there are usually some odd breaks.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote