Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Not impressed by non-Amazon feeds on Kindle...

Did a Feedbooks newspaper for various feeds and also a Mobipocket one. The whole article isn't there and there's too much clicking and internet browsing to do. I'll spend the $30 a month for the Kindle's editions of The New York Times, Time, Newsweek, Reader's Digest, The Daily Kos, and Cognitive Daily. More reading than I can handle either way and nicely formatted with full articles. I give up on non-book-non-Amazon content.

P.S. Woo I'm a zealot
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I guess it depends on if you have more money or more time. I too would much rather just pay for my paper subscription than ever having to bother with that silly browser. Just too much pain for me. Now if I were still a poor college student things would be different.

One more post and I'm a zealot too!
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

That's exactly it... something that takes a lot of work and isn't comfortable to browse but free, or something that costs but it's convenient and pretty. What I like is that I can keep the papers, magazines, and blogs saved without occupying physical space (once a day I copy the 2 daily blogs over to the memory card so they're not overwritten). It's just so convenient
Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
I guess it depends on if you have more money or more time.
Good point. When I was still a student, I tried to save every buck possible. Today, time means money for me, so I rather pay a few bucks on Kindle subscriptions than trying to figure out how to get it for free.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
stark23x
stark23x is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
kindlefeeder.com puts out some really nicely formatted feeds IMHO. No images yet but really well-formatted text. Check 'em out.
stark23x is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark23x View Post
kindlefeeder.com puts out some really nicely formatted feeds IMHO. No images yet but really well-formatted text. Check 'em out.
I still prefer the paid subscriptions from Amazon but I agree that KindleFeder is a really nice service with well formated text.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Too bad it's only 20 feeds maximum... it would be great if you could pay double or extra for 2 or 3 times the feeds

Any way to get the complete The New York Times in one feed instead of 25 separate ones? I set it up for The Daily Kos and Cognitive Daily and now just need a good newspaper feed.

I like that it has wireless delivery for $3 a month. If The Daily Kos and Cognitive Daily look good, that's the $3 right there and I get 17 more daily feeds (The Daily Kos takes 2 feed spots).

First update supposed to be 9p tonight (Hhhmm I wonder if that's Eastern or Pacific...).

Edit: I wrote him about the 20 feed limit and suggested multiple feed packets, and TWO MINUTES after my email he sent me this:

"Hi -
Multiple feed packages are next on the to do list. I think it might
even be available by the end of this week."

If the content is there and the format is there, I'm sold! a 20-feed package for NYT would be $3 a month as compared to $15 Amazon wants. I'll try it out tonight.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-16-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Well I'm still not happy but I know what the problem is - I want FULL feeds. Is there a major newspaper that offers full feeds? I figured most major newspapers have the same news pretty much. Where can I find listings of RSS that offers full feeds?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Sweet tip, stark23x, on kindlefeeder. I like it!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Well I'm still not happy but I know what the problem is - I want FULL feeds. Is there a major newspaper that offers full feeds? I figured most major newspapers have the same news pretty much. Where can I find listings of RSS that offers full feeds?
Very few newspapers offer full feeds, so a simple feed based conversion isn't going to do what you need. If you want to read newspapers of your choice, for free, I suggest selling your kindle and buying a sony reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 AM   #11
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Very few newspapers offer full feeds, so a simple feed based conversion isn't going to do what you need. If you want to read newspapers of your choice, for free, I suggest selling your kindle and buying a sony reader.
Look to the left of this post, I have a Sony Reader also (had it first).

How can I get full feeds on it?! Thanks!
Old 09-17-2008, 02:30 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use calibre. It's as simple as a click of a button.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 AM   #13
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Use calibre. It's as simple as a click of a button.
I'll try it when I get home (at work now)... so that has full feeds, huh. Now if that has full feeds why can't the Kindle have full feeds.

Is there a program that will convert from Calibre to Kindle? Or can it spit it out in Mobi format?

BTW doesn't the newspaper have to offer the full feed for Calibre to get it? If it offers the full feed why can't a Kindle service do it also?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:40 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I'll try it when I get home (at work now)... so that has full feeds, huh. Now if that has full feeds why can't the Kindle have full feeds.

Is there a program that will convert from Calibre to Kindle? Or can it spit it out in Mobi format?

BTW doesn't the newspaper have to offer the full feed for Calibre to get it? If it offers the full feed why can't a Kindle service do it also?
Nope only output format is LRF. The Kindle does do it, it just asks you to pay for the privilege.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #15
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Nope only output format is LRF. The Kindle does do it, it just asks you to pay for the privilege.
I mean, if it can output to LRF, why can't Calibre or another program come up with a way to do the same exact thing and output to PRC? If it can be done to LRF it can be done to PRC.