Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #286
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I just have WAY too much to do and not NEARLY enough time to do it in. I wish a had an apprentice (or three). I suppose I need to start my own company if I have any hope of achieving my goals.
Perhaps you really should!

Quote:
In your case, you should read and try to decipher my previous posts in this thread.
That is what I did (and not only this thread), but it still leaves me with many more questions than answers...

Unfortunately, as a Linux/Unix beginner it is hard and even perhaps risky to try and read between the lines. (Most of these posts are quite cryptic and require some level of prior knowledge.) I thought I would rather ask some (silly?) questions up front, than risk having to ask lots of questions later on how to un-brick my Kindle.
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #287
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
SNiP...

Unfortunately, as a Linux/Unix beginner it is hard and even perhaps risky to try and read between the lines. (Most of these posts are quite cryptic and require some level of prior knowledge.) I thought I would rather ask some (silly?) questions up front, than risk having to ask lots of questions later on how to un-brick my Kindle.
Always a good policy.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #288
epiphone324
epiphone324 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
does anyone know the magic key for the kindle 2?
epiphone324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #289
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone324 View Post
does anyone know the magic key for the kindle 2?
We do not yet know of a magic key(s) for the K2/DX/DXG models (which all use 2.x firmware). That means you need to use the serial port to debrick them at this time.

If anybody finds out how to get any of these models into USB Downloader mode, please publish that information here in this thread. Thanks.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #290
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... and for the Paperwhite, too!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #291
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... and for the Paperwhite, too!
Didn't someone post that is done by diddling the state of the OTG sense lead?

(by using something called a "factory cable")
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #292
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Didn't someone post that is done by diddling the state of the OTG sense lead?

(by using something called a "factory cable")
There was reported to be a "catch-22" problem with using a "factory mode" cable on the PW:
Quote:
Another "catch-22" situation. The factory cable may only work if bootmode = factory, but you need root access to change that bootmode var. After you have root, you no longer need factory mode.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-27-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #293
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Thanks for the reminder.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #294
geekmaster

Apparently "bootmode = factory" allows the kindle to automatically boot to main or fastboot modes depending on which (if any) USB cable is attached. That would be very handy for experienced developers too (not just factory technicians). When I get (or make) a factory cable, I may try that.

FYI, the sense pin is not connected on a normal USB cable, but it is tied low (GND) for an OTG host-mode cable, or tied high (through a pull-up resistor in the cable) for a "factory" cable. It has been reported that connecting the sense pin directly to +5V with no resistor also works (but I would use one, just to be on the safe side). Although USB cables typically contain 4 wires, the microUSB connector has 5 pins, and the sense wire connection is typically made inside the microUSB connector shell.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #295
cbweb
cbweb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
I´m trying to follo wthe first post best as I can, but the part
Quote:
After unzipping the MfgTool into a folder of your choice, delete the folders from inside the Profiles folder, and copy the folders from inside the Kindle_bootmode.zip file into Profiles folder inside the MfgTool folder.
Has me stumped, since I can´t seem to locate the mentioned Kindle_bootmode.zip file?
cbweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #296
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbweb View Post
I´m trying to follow the first post best as I can, but the part

Has me stumped, since I can´t seem to locate the mentioned Kindle_bootmode.zip file?
The original download was huge. The suggested mods have already been made, making the download much smaller, and no modification is needed (unless you want to add eureka's u-boot with fastboot built into it)...

Just download the KindleSelectBoot.zip attachment, extract it, and use it.

EDIT: I have a tendency to add UPDATE notes to the first posts, rather than rewriting them as simpler ways are found... I do usually keep the latest downloads in the links and attachments though...

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-11-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #297
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle k4nt
Hi,
Very short question, I didn't find the answer:
When my kindle (k4nt) is in USB Recovery mode, and before launching the mfgtool, what should it display?

in usb recovery mode, does it still display that the kindle need to be repaired, or something else?
(I'm trying to figure out where I'm stuck)

Thanks!
michel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #298
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel24 View Post
Hi,
Very short question, I didn't find the answer:
When my kindle (k4nt) is in USB Recovery mode, and before launching the mfgtool, what should it display?

in usb recovery mode, does it still display that the kindle need to be repaired, or something else?
(I'm trying to figure out where I'm stuck)

Thanks!
It will keep displaying whatever it displayed last. In other words: it doesn't matter what it displays - as long as the device is in usb downloader mode and is correctly recognized by the computer, MfgTool will work.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #299
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle k4nt
Thanks a lot for the answer, I will investigate further next week
michel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #300
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel24 View Post
Thanks a lot for the answer, I will investigate further next week
Don't let it run flat in some odd mode... in the interim.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking, kindle mx50 select boot