Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Gimli son of Gloin is an experienced, noble, veteran warrior
BTW, this is something that surely bothers anyone who's read both LotR and The Hobbit:
Spoiler:
how the dwarves have gone from clumsy and comic cowardly and greedy garden dwarves in the first book (for children) to the fierce and noble ancient race from LotR...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
BTW, this is something that surely bothers anyone who's read both LotR and The Hobbit:
Spoiler:
how the dwarves have gone from clumsy and comic cowardly and greedy garden dwarves in the first book (for children) to the fierce and noble ancient race from LotR...
It's been a while since I read The Hobbit,
Spoiler:
but I don't remember them being cowards. They're going to steal from a dragon known for wiping out entire cities and eating those living in them. Greedy? Yes. Comic? Yes, but then the entire book was. Cowardly? I beg to differ.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
And strictly speaking,

Spoiler:
Boromir was not a jerk either. Both in the movies and in the books he is a noble and brave man, a well loved and respected leader, and of course a great warrior. But the Ring corrupts, and the better you are when you start out, the worse you get when it's done, and the higher your ambitions, the faster it happens. I actually liked the way the movies portray Boromir, making sure they showed his good side (joking with the hobbits, teaching them to use their swords, etc), before they let the Ring corrupt him.
Well, true. I was being very brief in my comment. But

Spoiler:
While Boromir had many noble qualities, he wasn't all good even before coming under the influence of the ring. Consider how he insisted on taking on the journey to Rivendell in place of Faramir.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, true. I was being very brief in my comment. But

Spoiler:
While Boromir had many noble qualities, he wasn't all good even before coming under the influence of the ring. Consider how he insisted on taking on the journey to Rivendell in place of Faramir.
Good point. It has been a couple of years since I read the books.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Another agreement here. I'm still angry at them for that. Nearly as angry as I am at them for what they did with Gimli actually. Gimli son of Gloin is an experienced, noble, veteran warrior, more than capable of taking on a squad of orcs on his own and bragging about it afterward. In the books, he is awesome, in the literal sense of the word. In the movies he's comic relief. Unforgivable! ...
Am I remembering correctly that Gimli's character was even made to deliver a "dwarf tossing" reference? I think I remember seeing that and feeling very disappointed because someone felt the need to resort to that. If I want tired, juvenile, annoying and insulting attempts at humor I can always watch "The Phantom Menace." Oh, that Jar Jar!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #21
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
Am I remembering correctly that Gimli's character was even made to deliver a "dwarf tossing" reference?
You are indeed. Why do you think I am angry?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #22
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I agree with the sentiments about Gimli in the movies.

What made me cringe the most though was Legolas "Shield surfing" down the stairs at the battle of Helm's deep. *groan* One for the kiddies I guess.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote