Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #151
OhSewMe
OhSewMe began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Try http://dustyfeet.com/edge/. You want the "p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip" file
I used this download, then went to https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...leid=265&nav=0 and followed their directions---I just like numbers to check off.....BUT, first...I had to look up how to download files to the ROOT directory on the microSD card--okaaaay, I had to look up a few things....BUT, the first time I tried it, IT WORKED....and I'm so thankful!!

Thanks everyone!! Now, to partition my card, hmmmm
OhSewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #152
ucity88
ucity88 began at the beginning.

Device: EnTourage eDGe
Do I need the Ermine? What is it/what does it do? Thanks!
ucity88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #153
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi ucity!

You do not need Ermine. It is a system upgrade that takes the Android in your eDGe to version 2.2. You probably have Android 1.6 right now. Ermine also makes some other changes, the biggest for me being it allows the eDGe to hibernate when closed which saves battery usage.

Do you have the big enTourage eDGe or the Pocket eDGe? They both have problems (for some of the people some of the time) with Ermine, but the problems are different. It is possible to get the "White Screen of Death (WSoD)" when you upgrade to Ermine on the PE. If that happens (fortunately, it is rare) your LCD will turn white and stop responding. So upgrading is a risk, but if you succeed there are rewards.

Ermine is a "beta" update, meaning it was never finalized by enTourage or guaranteed to be bug free.

Happy decision making!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #154
dundey
dundey began at the beginning.

Device: entourage Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokra View Post
Melitabel,

1. use the following site (http://dustyfeet.com/edge/) to download the update file. for some reason the other sites either have an incomplete file, or my downloads just didnt complete as they were suppose to.
2. use a usb stick format it with fat. go to my computer, select the drive that is for the usb, right click on it, and select 'format', under the options it will default to 'fat32', manually select 'fat'. place the update file in there. whatever you do the file should read update.zip. if you are not sure, under the usb explorer screen, go to 'tools', 'folder options', 'view' and locate 'hide extensions for known file types' and make sure its UNCHECKED. and then make sure the update file reads, update.zip.
3.turn off PE. connect the usb stick, and press hold menu and rotate keys, and then switch the power on button. continue holding the menu and rotate for approx 15-20 secs and you should see an update processing...then you are done. hope this helps. thanks to all who have helped me.
Followed the steps outlined above and still no success.
My uSb is 4 gig formated with fat32. The only options I have in the drop down menu are fat32 and exfat.
P-edge is currently running Dingo 1.8, does that need to be updated first?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
dundey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #155
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi dundey, welcome to MobileRead!

I don't know if it is necessary, but it can't hurt to update your PE to Dingo 1.13 (which you should be able to do with the Update app) before you try your Ermine update again.

Good luck!
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #156
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundey View Post
Followed the steps outlined above and still no success.
My uSb is 4 gig formated with fat32. The only options I have in the drop down menu are fat32 and exfat.
P-edge is currently running Dingo 1.8, does that need to be updated first?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Exfat is otherwise known as FAT16 and can be used to format the USB stick.

From what you have posted you are using windows, therefore I have to ask do you have 'do not show extensions for known file types' on or off. If it is on have you renamed the file to update.zip - will produce update.zip.zip which will NOT work - or just update which should produce update.zip.

The other thing is, have you checked that you have a good download of the correct file. Checking can be by double clicking on it and it should open and show more zip files - if it doesn't open then you need to download it again.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #157
dundey

Thanks for the welcome guys!
I'm running update now to get to Dingo 1.13.
@ivanjt, yes I checked both of those points before posting here, that's why I'm so confused!

Hopefully the update will fix the problem!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #158
dundey

Looks like I finally got it! Its updating!!

I had to go to a smaller flash drive, did not work with a 4 gig or 2 gig. Copied update file onto a 1GB and worked like a charm. Should have done that last night, who knew!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #159
Dcubed
Dcubed began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, hopefully
The updater worked! I'm now at Ermine 0.9 and no green camera tint. Actually, the camera doesn't look too bad.
Dcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #160
JoeZambo
JoeZambo began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Is there anything I steal off of my android phone? I have an EVO and my roommate has one of those Samsung phones with Android. Is there a way to steal the updates from those phones?
JoeZambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #161
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundey View Post
Looks like I finally got it! Its updating!!

I had to go to a smaller flash drive, did not work with a 4 gig or 2 gig. Copied update file onto a 1GB and worked like a charm. Should have done that last night, who knew!
I updated with a either a 16g or 8g card. It might have been a formatting issue.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #162
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Hi ucity!

You do not need Ermine. It is a system upgrade that takes the Android in your eDGe to version 2.2. You probably have Android 1.6 right now. Ermine also makes some other changes, the biggest for me being it allows the eDGe to hibernate when closed which saves battery usage.
Hi Filark,
Is the PE really hibernating or is it on standby. I can hear my PE beep when I get new mail which leads me to believe I am in standby and my battery only last about a day.
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #163
Filark

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Hi Filark,
Is the PE really hibernating or is it on standby. I can hear my PE beep when I get new mail which leads me to believe I am in standby and my battery only last about a day.
Gary
I don't know whether it is technically in standby. It says "your Pocket eDGe is hibernating" so that's what I call it. In Dingo (Android 1.6) the PE goes to sleep when it is closed (I don't remember the message on the e-ink screen), but the battery savings are much greater in Ermine with the "hibernate" function.

Don't know how long my battery lasts, but in Dingo it would be nearly dead in the morning, and with Ermine it's still got plenty of life after an overnight on my nightstand.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #164
zake20042005
zake20042005 began at the beginning.

Device: zake20042005@gmail.com
Do you have to unzip the file Ermine first before you put it on usb drive to update just wondering ?

Last edited by zake20042005; 08-19-2011 at 03:23 PM.
zake20042005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #165
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zake20042005 View Post
Do you have to unzip the file Ermine first before you put it on usb drive to update just wondering ?
Simple answer NO.

Long answer - the part of the bootloader that does the update is looking for a file called 'update.zip' and it expects that file to be a valid zip file, if it isn't then it ignores it and just boots the installed system.

Yes, one of the test to see if you have a valid zip file is to open it - if it won't open then it is invalid and needs to be downloaded again - but it must be in the root of a USB stick formatted FAT or FAT32 and named update.zip.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote