Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
marekl
marekl doesn't littermarekl doesn't litter

Device: Kindle/iPad
Ebook-convert.exe and Win/Mac result difference

I prepared a batch for HTML-MOBI conversion. I use ebook-convert directly, not Calibre graphics interface.

When I use the command on my Mac, the result (see Mac.gif attached) is very nice. There are no indents in paragraphs following headings and subheadings <h1>, <h2> and so on.

But when I use the same command on Windows Calibre, there are indents on all paragraphs, including the ones after headings. You can see it on Win.gif attached.

Why the ebook-convert apps are different? I use the latest version of both Calibres.

Is there any way how to get the same result using Windows Calibre? I very like the Mac no-indents style after headings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac.gif
Views:	262
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	65104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Win.gif
Views:	283
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	65105  
marekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This will most likely be because of path name encoding issues. Probably a css file is not being loaded on windows because it has a non ascii filename.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
marekl

Thank you for your answer. I'm not sure it is the reason, because I use no external CSS file in this batch and there are no special characters in my working folder path.

I will try to move all files to the root of my harddrive and I will check if anything change.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
marekl

So here is solution of my issue. Yes, the batch command was the same on Mac and Win as I wrote. However the HTML source code was a little different.

Whe I prepared the HTML code in correct way, so the paragraphs are between <P> and </P> tags, MOBI looks like the Win.gif variant.

I was lazy during my Mac conversion tests yesterday and I used only one <P> after each paragraph, no closing tags. The result: Mac.gif.

So when I change my HTML source and I will use the tags the wrong way, MOBI will look like I need. But the results should be the same in both cases, shouldn't they?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
incorrect html is corrected automatically, the correcting of the html will not always do what you expect.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
marekl

So the correct way of HTML-Mobi conversion is on Win.gif picture, isn't it? All paragraphs except of headings should have indents.

Howere I like this workaround. Indents are mostly used for paragraphs separation only and they are not needed to be shown under headings or pictures. I have no idea how I would do it in Calibre with paired <P></P> tags, so I'm very glad for this behaviour :-)