Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #151
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennoel View Post
If most of us did not have an ereader our lives would continue. While I enjoy mine, it is NOT crucial to my life. To a certain extent ALLLLL ereaders are toys.
At the moment, virtually all my books are in storage, since I've moved and don't have space for them where I am. I quite simply wouldn't be able to read what I wanted without an ereader in this situation.

Elfwreck, in my experience, modern electronic devices are fine being left plugged in for long periods of time. There's no danger of 'over-charge' or reducing the life-span of the battery. The one thing I wouldn't recommend if you're going to do this is buying the cheapest possible generic replacement charger off eBay.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #152
naguz
naguz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I currently study on just about the opposite end of the country from whereI was born. Most of my books are, sadly, in storage at my moms place. I just got mye ereader (the old Nook actually), and already I can say that I will become quite dependant on it in a short time. More than a toy, it is a tool.

As for the NC, I wouldn't call it a toy. But I certainly wouldn't call it an ereader either. I'd just call it what it is: A tablet. It doesn't reach the Nook or any other epaper screen to the knees hen it comes to long time reading sessions of novels - hich is natural, as it isnæt an ereader, but a run-of-the-mill Android tablet with some extra apps.

I am surprised she recommended the Nook over the NC for office document use, though (or even pdfs). That is clearly not a good recommendation.

(Sorry for jumping in without reaing the whole thread.
naguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #153
EBHovey
EBHovey began at the beginning.

Device: color nook
I'm a little new to all of this & had to leave my literature at home - isn't the Nook color I bought last week newer than the one you're talking about?

I hate bells and whistles driving a price up, but when I found out I could have Quickoffice, compatible w/ microsoft's Word and Excel, I thought the NC was the one for me, definitely NOT for its game capacities - unfortunately mykids found those pretty
EBHovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #154
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennoel View Post
Why are so many people assuming that a "toy" is a bad thing? Let's be realistic. If most of us did not have an ereader our lives would continue. While I enjoy mine, it is NOT crucial to my life. To a certain extent ALLLLL ereaders are toys. Primarily the market is those with disposable income who enjoy using the item in their down time. Although the text book market is growing, that's not the lion's share of the market right now.

Sheesh. I want some of you to go and have a cup of perspective tea.
To a number of people an eReader IS a crucial part of their life... people with physical and eye problems whose primary relaxation is reading for example... you may regard eReaders as toys but try reading a 1000 page hardcover when you have arthritis, a frozen shoulder or a broken arm and the eReader quickly becomes essential...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #155
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
To a number of people an eReader IS a crucial part of their life... people with physical and eye problems whose primary relaxation is reading for example... you may regard eReaders as toys but try reading a 1000 page hardcover when you have arthritis, a frozen shoulder or a broken arm and the eReader quickly becomes essential...
For my mom, one of the cool bonuses of her switching to an ebook reader (besides of ease of getting new books in a rural area and not having to end up paying for shipping), was she's able to set the font size larger. Her eyesight isn't what it used to be, and despite corrective surgery, larger sizes makes it easier for her to read. She's able to get her cheap romance novel fix again.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #156
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I do my research online before buying most things, and I don't usually change my mind unless the salesperson is knowledgeable enough to convince me otherwise.

I call the iPad an "expensive and useless piece of toy" all the time. And from what I understand about the Nook Color, it's not an unfair judgment (from my viewpoint) to call it a toy. If I had gone in with research and heard untruths, I'll stick to my choice.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #157
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
True. But she was definitely expressing a deeply held opinion. That is why it was such a memorable exchange to me.

She actively, on company property and while on the clock, made it known to at least three customers that she didn't think much of at least one of the products that she was out on the floor to answer questions about.
So? I was a grocery store meat cutter for 15-years and never once hesitated to say I hated head-cheese when asked.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes & noble, nook, nook color, toy