Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
reup
Connoisseur
reup began at the beginning.

Device: hp ipaq hx2750
so, now I am standing with an empty calibre library and a catalog

any idea how I can reproduce my library from the catalog ?

I could just reinsert the books into calibre with the add function, but I noticed that the metadata in the epub are not the same as the one in the catalog and guess what, the ones in the catalog are the ones that I need :-(

covers
series
series_index
sub_series.....

maybe I should open a new thread ? I believe this is a continuation of the same subject, how to fix after a bug. but I am happy to open a new thread if needed

reup
reup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
This is a good spot for it. I don't have any experience with Calibre2opds. Hopefully someone will drop by sometime today with some pertinent info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #18
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reup View Post
any idea how I can reproduce my library from the catalog ?
If you are able to get a text list of ISBNs, you could create empty books in Calibre from that (there should be an option to create books from ISBNs). Then do a metadata lookup for the whole library, re-add the books with automerge enabled and hope that the matching algorithm is fuzzy enough.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
reup
Connoisseur

Manichean,

most of the ebooks I have in the catalog do not have isbn (they are our own documentation)

I am also thinking of another instance where we would download a catalog and try to import it into calibre

or in my case, recover a calibre database from a online catalog

reup
Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
OK, second idea: Create a small script that parses the catalog and adds the books via the command line tools. Then add the books with automerge enabled and hope for the best.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #21
reup
Connoisseur

Manichean,

good idea, I will try that

thank you all for your time and help

bye for now

reup
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've avoided saying it because I'm sure it won't do any good (this time), but in the future the simple solution for a problem like this is to restore the library from backup.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:54 AM   #23
reup
Connoisseur

dwanthny,

I believe the solution is next time, to not use Calibre2opds

I know it is a free product and I am grateful to the dev teams of all opensource project. really, I love opensource, but I burned myself ones with this one, I dont think I will take a second chance

I have backups, but I have a 1t hd and I would need to buy another 1tb hd to do a decent backup, also, if I follow all rules, I should do my backup on another system located at about 200km from the first place (my home) then have someone do a dump to tape and put those tapes in a fireproof safe

I rather find a software that will not start by erasing my hd

reup
Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I believe the solution is next time, to not use Calibre2opds
There will always be programs that surprise you. Backing up your library is the only solution to prevent this in the future.

Quote:
I have backups, but I have a 1t hd and I would need to buy another 1tb hd to do a decent backup, also, if I follow all rules, I should do my backup on another system located at about 200km from the first place (my home) then have someone do a dump to tape and put those tapes in a fireproof safe
Since you obviously know what you should do then backing up your library is the solution. For a small library try Live Mesh, Dropbox or Sugar Sync for a quick backup solution. If you have a better internet connection than I do Symform has a 100 gig free cloud storage solution.

Quote:
I rather find a software that will not start by erasing my hd
I never heard of anyone previous to your incident having calibre2opds erase their library. The point is you never know what software or hardware will rise up to bite you in the butt. In the end it always comes back to backing up your critical data.

Good Luck.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
AND
Test your Backup

I don't remember how many time I have been handed a 'Backup', only to find:
1)It is unreadable:
2)The corruption has been there so long, it has overtaken the tail of a sequential archive (Reused media loop).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Well, I did something even WORSE. I managed to delete 11 gb of documents using calibre2opds. I am on a mac and when I ran the latest stable version using opds as output for my dropbox account, I got a warning about not using my calibre library, however, it never warned me to make a new directory for the output. I just pointed the output to my "documents" library and voila, all the documents deleted.

I was somewhat lucky in that I do have backups, but still, I lost a month window since my last increment. Just goes to show you how easy it is to make assumptions and be wrong.

I think there should be a small warning that pops up when using the output or even a forced new folder making to save newbies.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #27
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I am on a mac and when I ran the latest stable version using opds as output for my dropbox account
Exactly what version is the latest stable version?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The last version that has been made generally available is the 2.5 beta 1 release and is the best of those for which binary downloads are available.

The 3.0 beta 1 release which is under preparation is now probably more stable (as well as having more functionality). However we have not yet packaged up the binary downloads as there as some small issues being worked on. As is common with this sort of thing getting these resolved is taking longer than originally anticipated. Having said that if you are prepared to build from source (which is relatively easy to do) then you can always grab the latest build.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote