Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #301
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdzieg View Post
Unfortunatelly no. IR sensor can't be turned of. I suggested to create such possibility - the same as with capacity buttons. But having that option needs inprovement with capacity buttons (arrows) navigation. When you reach the last or the first element in a row. Selecting right or left arrow should move you to the next or previous row. For now when you have the latest element selected and you "click" right arrow - you go to the first element in the same row. Without any changes here you 'll have to enable/disable IR button to often IMO.

As far as PDF stuff is concerned... I'm a little confused cause I had some problems with stablilty when browsing them. But this is adobe mobile reader - not onyx problem I think... Besides that, reading quite large documents (~30MB) with some graphics is OK for me. But this is just subjective opinion.

You have mentioned Assus DR900. I was also waiting for that device, but there was nothing from asus for quite long.
Not sure i understand mate, what stability issues are you facing, can you please elaborate?? Also is each page turn about 6-7 secs as in one of the previous videos (Yes that was M90 I am wondering if M91S has same issues)

Cheers!
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #302
mdzieg
mdzieg began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickomuer View Post
Not sure i understand mate, what stability issues are you facing, can you please elaborate?? Also is each page turn about 6-7 secs as in one of the previous videos (Yes that was M90 I am wondering if M91S has same issues)

Cheers!
Checked on 27MB pdf with some images on pages. For me it takes less than 4sec to have new page displayed with fully refreshed screen.

Regarding stability with pdf's... since yesterday no problems at all. But before, 3 or 4 times, reader hung and I had to turn it off and on again. One time it could not load first page, which contains quite large picture. Tested it afterwards and no problems emerged. As I said, this is probably something with document itself or adobe reader.

So far only checked with pdf's.
mdzieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #303
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cheers mdzieg! I have decided to go via the DXG route.
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #304
mdzieg

Quote:
Hi,

Hope you 'll like it. I was also considerig DXG, but finally decided to buy boox.
There is not much to choose from when you want a big screen.

But anyway I'm worried how amazon tracks their users. I mean some kind of backups that are made under the hood, sending documents to them, etc. That's something I really hate.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #305
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
You have the Asus Eee Reader DR900 too, but although it sounds like good products after researching a bit they don't seem that good, in fact I think they seem a bit bad.
ASUS DR900 is pure shit. Firmware went out at first being not even ready for the market. They're doing some fixes but it's still crappy.

It's slow on everything. No underline, no highlights, no search in the text, flashing is heavy. You can only use it for reading but the background is really grey and letters havent got a high contrast.

DR900 has nothing to do with EA800, two different machines in every detail.

Just forget it, I returned it after a week and went for the entourage edge = another planet

Last edited by lorenzoens; 06-25-2011 at 09:04 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #306
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
You're going via an obsolete way. Boox M91 if you dont need touch, or just wait for some months.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 AM   #307
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdzieg View Post
As I said, this is probably something with document itself or adobe reader.
I am not sure about the problem being with Adobereader, as e.g. the Pocketbooks also have that (in addition to an in house pdfreader), but there is no such problem. Perhaps though this is one of those things that can be ironed out with a software update. Surely, though, around 4 seconds for a page turn would really irk me. I am definitely still sitting on this one.

@rikomuer
will you let us know how you get on with pdf files in your DGX? I need another large reader for the household (but I am in no rush), and for the moment the Pocketbook is first in line, but I am still very open to alternatives that work properly.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #308
wizz
Enthusiast
wizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-books

Device: Poke2, Hisense A5
M91S one week testing

Just tested the M91S for one week.

I have compared it with the Pocket 903 and Asus DR-900
My own readers: iLiad and iRiver Story HD (new)
Use: reading newspapers (highest priority), books and pdf.

Positive:
  • Clearest screen. Although the Pocket 903 is not far behind. The Asus is by far the darkest, although still with crisp letters.
  • Instant recognizing my sd card with the content. With the Asus DR-900 that was not the case.
  • Turning pages is a delight. Almost instantly the letters are changing. Same speed if not slightly faster then the Pocket 903. The Asus is a millisecond slower (but still fast). Some ghosting with the M91S if you don’t refresh the page. Refreshing after 3 page turns gave the best result. (This is configurable.)
  • Smooth handling. Just swipe your finger across the sensor or the buttons. No clicking no pressure. Best I have seen so far. Absolutely addictive. I had no problems with the infrared sensor whatsoever.
  • Battery, up to modern standards. Used it for one week for casual reading (3 hours/day) and consumed about 15% of the battery. So two weeks wont be a problem.
  • Reading pdf is best I have seen so far. No margins and completely filling the screen with many different zoom options. Also fast. The Asus DR-900 in that respect is by far worse, with the Asus its really hard to zoom it to the right size.
  • Nice looks. If it was a girl walking by I would whistle. The Onyx is the sexiest girl of the three, you certainly wont mind a few intellectual nights. The Pocket 903 is more the sturdy intellectual girl with glasses. The silky black Asus is more like a sleek Latina girl, charming but reserved. But to be honest, with all three girls you wont mind introducing them to your parents. And sure your dad wants one for his self.

Negative
  • Navigating is doable but bothersome. It doesn’t have a memory for your last position in the index. So after returning to the index you have to start all over again from the first position. Not handy.
  • Using dictionaries it works but there are a few things you have to know. First make a map named “dicts” in the sd card and put there the downloaded dictionaries. Just read that by accident (http://wiki.booxusers.com/index.php?title=Dictionaries) it was not in the manual. Navigation to the word you want to look up takes a while with not having a direct input device (pen). A couple of times the Onyx crashed when using the dictionary and closed the document I was reading.

Summary
  • If you just want reading books and pdf’s with no need to navigate, using dictionaries or need for internet the M91S should be your choice.
  • If you have a need to navigate a lot (as for me when reading newspapers) the M90 or Pocket 903, or Asus DR-900 would be the best choice. As I really like Onyx I have ordered the M90
  • For travelling I prefer my iRiver Story HD as it is far more handy and has the same screen quality as the Onyx.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #309
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Welcome to MR, Wizz, and thanks for a very helpful review.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #310
chchch
chchch began at the beginning.

Device: nan
Thank you for the review!
As you have all the devices I'd love to see a image comparing the screens...
I'd also be interested in an comparison of speed and maybe power consumption of the M90/M90s.
Did you try annotating pdfs by now?

You are helping us a lot...
chchch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #311
wizz
Enthusiast
wizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-books

Device: Poke2, Hisense A5
Screen quality

As I don’t have the devices at home I am not able to show some pictures, sorry about that.

But to help you I will give you a rating for the screen quality:
  • iRiver Story HD (EB07, 3rd generation) 10/10
  • Onyx M91S 9/10
  • Pocketbook 903 8/10
  • Asus DR-900 6/10

On the M91S I did not made any annotations on a pdf. With just fingersweeping over the sensor its just undoable to input text. To test this I have to wait for the M90. Making bookmarks on the M91S is quick and easy though.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #312
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
As I don’t have the devices at home I am not able to show some pictures, sorry about that.

But to help you I will give you a rating for the screen quality:
  • iRiver Story HD (EB07, 3rd generation) 10/10
  • Onyx M91S 9/10
  • Pocketbook 903 8/10
  • Asus DR-900 6/10

On the M91S I did not made any annotations on a pdf. With just fingersweeping over the sensor its just undoable to input text. To test this I have to wait for the M90. Making bookmarks on the M91S is quick and easy though.
Hi Wizz

How soon do you hove to have the M91 in your hands?
I am especially intrested in annotations, highlighting and the visibility of these things on the desktop (should I call it portability?)

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #313
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
review of M91S
http://www.project-ebooks.ru/Proekt_...Boox_M91S.html
Google is your friend.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #314
mdzieg

Why do they sell black version only in Russia
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #315
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
I think I actually prefer the white version (and I normally don't like white things) seems to go better with the format of the device and the black one seems too strong and distracting. But maybe that's just me

It's always nice to have the opportunity to choose which color we want tho...
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90