Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Using handheld scanner

Hi all !
I have some books I'll want to scan. I tried with my printer/scanner, but it's way too fastidious (open the book, put on the glass, click button, verify the scanned text, change page, etc...)
So I think of handheld scanners, as Docupen (for a full page) or IrisPen (for a one-line-at-a-time scan).
Is anyone of you using these, or anything like it ?
And what is your opinion ?

Thanks in advance !

PS : I don't want to unbind my books, they are mostly books out of publishing, hard to find (if not impossible !)
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow... just checked out the Docupen on youtube.

I'm not certain it's ergonomically viable for any large project... but I'd also be curious about any first-hand impressions.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
Most people now use a digital camera instead of a handheld scanner.
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysax View Post
Most people now use a digital camera instead of a handheld scanner.
Professionally though?

The necessary setup for taking consistently high quality and easily processable pictures with a digital camera almost seem more onerous than using a flatbed scanner.

Not that I'm entirely convinced the hand-held scanner would do a perfect job either... but based on the demonstration video I saw, it seemed to do.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
There are three ways to get a high quality professional scan of a book:

1. Cut the binding and scan the pages either with a sheetfed or flatbed scanner.

2. Have a very high end scanner specially designed to compensate for the curvature of a book.

3. Use a camera.

A flat bed scanner is less satisfactory than a camera because of the curvature of the book. Camera scanning can be OCRd with a product like ABBYY and made into an ebook. Handheld scanners are terrible and good for minimal scanning. The main reason is that there are almost no handheld scanners made is that digital cameras are better. Scholars who work in libraries regularly use digital cameras.
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Idoine
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Well, I'm no scholar, neither professional ! I just want to scan 20 or so books, small paperback ones, and I don't want to spend too much in specialized scanner, or digitalizing systems...
I have a little digital camera, but no tripod, and I don't see how to take pics of a page in a book that keeps closing itself !
At least I could do it with a handheld scanner, and keep sitting at that !
Old 06-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I advise you to check the optickbook 3600 (http://www.plustek.com/product/book3600.asp), who is a dedicated book scanner (and it does everything any other flatbed does too).

Probably it will cost you the same or less then a handheld scanner, and gives outstanding results.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Also, for a camera solution, try www.bkrpr.org The set up costs about fifty dollars US to make, (not counting the cameras, of course), and looks like it'd work really well. The problem would then be the proofreading.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
Idoine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

I advise you to check the optickbook 3600 (http://www.plustek.com/product/book3600.asp), who is a dedicated book scanner (and it does everything any other flatbed does too).

Probably it will cost you the same or less then a handheld scanner, and gives outstanding results.

Best regards,
Thanks, it seems more respectful of the book, and easier to use too. But I'm a little bit short of place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Also, for a camera solution, try www.bkrpr.org The set up costs about fifty dollars US to make, (not counting the cameras, of course), and looks like it'd work really well. The problem would then be the proofreading.
It seems to be great, but I'm not really the "do-it yourself" gal; in my flat, yes, the usual things, but that...
Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
hydin
Connoisseur
hydin doesn't litterhydin doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight 3
I am in kind of the same boat. I have a few paperback books I would like to scan in, but have no desire to destroy the book. I think I might try the pen scanning thing first (wizcom infoscan or quicklink) as opposed to the plustek scanner though. Mainly an issue of price versus the sheer amount of time I have to do this.

Has anyone tried using a hand scanner like the old handheld photo scanners or the pen scanners to digitize a book?
hydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Idoine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post
Has anyone tried using a hand scanner like the old handheld photo scanners or the pen scanners to digitize a book?
This week I had the opportunity to try an IrisPen scanner, and though it's great for scanning articles, or paragraphs, it would take too much time to scan an entire book with it !
So I'll wait a little to spare some money, and buy the Docupen RC800 instead !
Old 06-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
hydin
Connoisseur

The Docupen looks pretty cool, but can it scan a paperback sized book? All the videos and pictures I have seen show it scanning full sized things, not smaller.

It looks pretty awesome though, and I can see using it a little easier than finding the place to put one of those tabletop scanners....
Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Idoine

They insist on the width capability, but if you watch the presentation, you'll see it can scan receipts and so, though I don't see why it couldn't scan paperback books.
It goes with Paperport, that permits to rotate the scanned page, so you could even scan the book from the binding side, then rotate, and send to Word or whatever text editor...
Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
hydin
Connoisseur

I did some checking and found some troubling reviews on the lower models.

I can't seem to find any reviews on the 805 though, so I guess it's pretty new.

The lowest I can find the 805 is 249.99, which is 20$ more than the plustek book scanner... I think I may have to decide if I really want to move this stuff to ebook or not.

Either way for the heads up about the pen scanner