Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Registration issues with second hand reader?

I bought a second hand reader a while ago from ebay.
It came preloaded with a couple of books.
I added most of my own pdf and lrf books from this site.
I wasn't planning on installing any software to my laptop, neither on buying anything in the Sony store, but you never know...

How can I make sure the previous owner has de-registered his device?
(it came only with a pouch and the reader, no soft).

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-14-2008 at 06:01 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Mine was secondhand. I don't use Sony's store and never bothered to follow up with the seller if he dereg'd it. I've loaded Connect before but use Calibre. I still have a couple of his books on the Reader. I know he wasn't going to use the store anymore and those were his only copies of the books so I'm not worried.

If you are at all worried that Connect will cause problems just go ahead and use Calibre.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually,
'software' is the wrong term. I meant more licencing issues, or registration issues.. I'm correcting my posts title

Like, I can register the device on my name then, right? (It will remove the registration on his name?)
Old 11-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Actually,
'software' is the wrong term. I meant more licencing issues, or registration issues.. I'm correcting my posts title

Like, I can register the device on my name then, right? (It will remove the registration on his name?)
Only mods can change thread titles, ProDigit, so I did it for you.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Actually,

Oh, sorry bud. I was thinking licensing issues but I didn't realize you -wanted- to register it. Me I just left it unregistered or still registered to him and doesn't affect me.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Actually,

If you are not going to buy from the Sony store it really doesn't matter. The only way I would think to know if it was registered is to try to register it yourself.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
The "About" screen on my 505 says "Authorized for the eBook Store" right below the Device ID. Anybody with an unregistered Reader want to check to see if they have something different in that spot?

I'm not sure if "authorized" is telling me it's registered, or if it's just advertising a "feature" (i.e. it can be used with the bookstore).

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 11-15-2008 at 07:33 AM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I doubt it's a reader thing, since one press on the back's reset button would reset the device.
I think it has more to do with the Sony website.
I'd like to know if there will be any problems in the future if I ever decided I would want to buy a book for my reader from the store, if registration issues could prevent me from doing that.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How can I make sure the previous owner has de-registered his device?
(it came only with a pouch and the reader, no soft).
Go to Sony's eBookstore and download Ebook Library and then install it.
http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

Next, create an account for yourself at the eBookstore. Then all you have to do is authorize your Reader to your account and it will be deauthorized from the original owner's account. But, any DRM eBooks purchased via the eBookstore will no longer be able to be read. So if there are any on there you want to read, read them first and the sort out the authorization.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Next, create an account for yourself at the eBookstore. Then all you have to do is authorize your Reader to your account and it will be deauthorized from the original owner's account.
My understanding is that this is not the case. If the reader is authorized to another account it will not allow you to authorize it to a new account.

BOb
Old 11-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My understanding is that this is not the case. If the reader is authorized to another account it will not allow you to authorize it to a new account.

BOb
Are you sure about that Bob?
If so, a dishonest person could buy a lot of books on the previous owner's account.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
If so, a dishonest person could buy a lot of books on the previous owner's account.
I don't think there's a risk. You'd still need their email address and password to log into the store, no? I'm not aware that this information is either stored or available from the Reader.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 11-15-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #13
BobVA
Addict

UPDATE:

I just asked my SO to check her 500, which isn't registered. The "About" page on that one says "Not Authorized for ebook Store".

So, that seems to be a relatively unmbigious way to tell if a Reader is registered to an account.

You can get to the "About" page from the "Settings" selection from the top-level on the Reader.

The only way I know to blow the registration data out of the Reader without deauthorizing via the Sony software (which deletes it from the current account and changes the authorization status on the "About" page) is to do a hard reset (much more involved than pressing the reset button).

If somebody HAD registered your Reader to an account, then done a hard reset, then failed to reauthorize and remove it from the account, I guess it could still be "registered", and this wouldn't show on the "About" screen. To get it into this state though, somebody would have to to know how to do a hard reset, which isn't documented in the manual.

I don't know what this would mean. You couldn't use it to read books on the old account, since it wouldn't have the registration information on the Reader necessary to read them.

If that circumstance existed and you then tried to register it to your new account I'm not sure if that would cause a problem or not (i.e. I don't know if Sony checks to see if the Reader still shows on someone else's account before letting you authorize it to yours) - I'll defer to PilotBob's info above however.

If the "About" page information isn't conclusive enough you could either try to register it as described by JSWolf, above, or perhaps Sony customer support could tell you if you read them the Device ID number (also on the "About" page).

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 11-15-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
No they can't. You can't buy books on another person account unless you have their login credentials. The idea is that Sony doesn't want it to be easy to move a reader from account to account. That is a bit more sharing than they want.

BOb
Old 11-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader

Thanks, Bob and BobVA.