Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #61
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Hello, All.

I have gone through all four pages of this thread three times and, unless I'm completely blind, "On The Beach" has only been nominated four times. That won't be a problem as it is one of my favorites.

I nominate "On The Beach"

Here are the current recommendation numbers:

*(5) On The Beach
*(5) Seven Japanse Tales
*(5) A Question Of Upbringing
(4) Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resillience, and Redemption
(3) The Time Machine
(2) A Heart Of A Dog
(2) After Dark
(2) The Age of Innocence
(2) Feast Of All Saints
(2) Time's Arrow
(1) 1984
(1) Age Of War
(1) The Book Thief
(1) Pride And Prejudice
(1) Scartlet Dreams

Regards.
What about Persuasion?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy
I have gone through all four pages of this thread three times and, unless I'm completely blind, "On The Beach" has only been nominated four times. That won't be a problem as it is one of my favorites.
Then you would be the sixth nomination. Don't waste one of yours if you don't have to.

It had five on the very first page. It got a little confusing between caleb, obs20 and myself, but they're all there.

ficbot - original nomination
caleb72 - 2nd nom. (took two posts to verify)
obs20 - 3rd
DiapDealer - 4th
GA Russel - 5th
Vandy - 6th
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #63
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What about Persuasion?
Persuasion has four nominations so far. Personally, I think it is an extraordinarily rewarding novel on a number of levels and an absolute masterpiece, but of course that's just my opinion.

Cost could possibly be a relevant factor in some cases. I think it understandable that some might not want to invest in a volume that would provide a very uncertain return in reading pleasure. But there is the obvious safeguard built into the rules as they seem formatted to date--namely that one could simply opt out of engaging with a book which is clearly not to one's taste.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #64
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
I seventh "On the Beach".

Sounds good.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #65
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'll fifth The Master and Margerita. This was its fifth nomination and should put it on the list as the fourth fully nominated book.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #66
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More work is needed for keeping track of nominations, because this is (almost) a mess.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #67
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Hi, All.

I'll be updating the nominations list this morning,,, Stand by...
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #68
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated Recommendations for June's Read

Hello, All.

I have sifted through the thread again and, along with other's help, have the new list of recommendations shown below.

I do want to thank those who have "come behind me" and help to point out what I missed in my earlier posts. Thank you for your help.

Here are the recommendations:

*(5) A Question Of Upbringing
*(5) On The Beach
*(5) Persuasion
*(5) The Master and Margarita
*(5) Seven Japanse Tales
(4) Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resillience, and Redemption
(3) A Heart Of A Dog
(3) The Time Machine
(2) After Dark
(2) The Age of Innocence
(2) Feast Of All Saints
(2) Time's Arrow
(1) 1984
(1) Age Of War
(1) Pride And Prejudice
(1) The Book Thief
(1) Scartlet Dreams

I am going to use my final nomination for Jane Austen's Persuasion. This puts its nominations at five and makes it the fifth book to get five nominations. This also closes the nominating period. Per sun surfer's guidance in Post #1 of this thread, we will start voting on these five choices Saturday, 28 MAY 2011.

Be on the watch for the new voting thread on that day.

Regards,
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns, Vandy!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #70
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita. A Masterpiece. Surreal, futuristic. The poet Montale, one of the few Italian Nobel prizes, defined it a miracle.
We will find everything there, including Satan (in disguise) and Behemoth, plus Pontius Pilate.

It is still in fashion in Italy and they keep providing new translations and editions. The Russian have made a 10 episodes TV mini series in 2005.

There I found a new word for poor old dumb me: Menippean satire.

I will reread the book whatever.

This should sixth it.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can someone please 5th Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resillience, and Redemption. Not only is it a 5-star read, but it is also a true story.

See the following thread to see that others also think it's a good book.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125710
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can someone please 5th Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resillience, and Redemption. Not only is it a 5-star read, but it is also a true story.
Five books is the limit and five books have been nominated. This portion of the process is complete.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #73
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

See the following thread to see that others also think it's a good book.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125710
That wouldn't make any difference. To wit:
Quote:
The nominations will run through May 28 or until FIVE works have made the list.
- we already have five fully nominated books, Jon. Complaining is useless
Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #74
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita. A Masterpiece. Surreal, futuristic. The poet Montale, one of the few Italian Nobel prizes, defined it a miracle.
We will find everything there, including Satan (in disguise) and Behemoth, plus Pontius Pilate.

I hope there aren't any spoilers in your post.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #75
Vandy
...always be humble.

Please forgive an old man and his whims...

Hello, Ea.

I hope that Babylon has done a decent job of translating the following:

Hej, Ea. Jeg håber, at du har haft en dejlig dag!

Regards,

Tags
book club, literary, literature, nominations