Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
easyread
easyread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Advice on which device to buy?

There is so much information that my head is spinning. I would really appreciate advice on which ereader would be most suitable for my top 3 things I need:

1. Have to be able to download free library books. My library has ebooks in Adobe PDF and Adobe EPUB format. (not sure I've ever purchased a book, I know it's sad. I have kept the library afloat though over the years with my late fee)
2. I'm not technically savy so no jailbreaking, or converting, etc., just basically out of the box--ready, set, go!
3. Would like to be able to read on the beach.

Price isn't a huge factor. Thanks!
easyread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome easyread!

Over the past six months, I would say that the two most popular devices among comparison shoppers here that fit your needs have been the PocketBook 360 and the jetBook Lite.

The PB360 does more and costs more. The JBL is basic and idiot-proof.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
sounds like a 99 dollar jet book lite would work for you. You can also check out Target to see if you can get a 75 dollar Sony 300 on clearance.

barring that I would recommend a Kindle 3. The jailbreaking, etc. is not difficult at all
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Don't forget the Nook.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I wouldn't recommend a PB360. It's for people who like to tinker. If you want an out of the box experience go for something simpler and cheaper.

A Nook might be a good choice for you, or one of the new Sony readers which have the same pearl screen as the new Kindle.

I wouldn't recommend a Kindle, since you would have to crack the DRM on each library book and then convert each book to .mobi format for the Kindle. It is easy, but you clearly said you weren't interested, and in my own ever-humble opinion, breaking the DRM on library books is a bit sleazy.

As someone else suggested a JetBook Lite also might work for you, although I couldn't stand it. The form factor with the huge battery hump was a big downer for me. And something many of the JBL fans think of as a positive, the no black flash like you get with e-ink, was a big negative for me. I found that changing the page without some sort of interruption, like the black-flash or the cutesy page turn graphic on the iPad literally gives me motion sickness.

I love reading library books on my ereader. Not only are they free, but no late fees! I always finished my books on time, but would forget to bring them back or throw them in the back seat of the car and forget to stop at the library. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
You are very precise in your requests. The kindle is not for you as noted by others. Besides a Kindle 3,I have a Gen3 and a Boox 60. Both can do what you want to do. The Gen 3 is an old model and it is too expensive compared to what is on the market today. The Boox is ok, but I don't think it is super.

The Kindle 3 display is very good, so my advice is to go for an epub device with a display to match it. At present that means Sony 350 or 650. If you want a 6 inch display, wait for the 650 to be available. The Sony devices also meet your wish to just use the device out of the box.
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote