Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #31
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Just enjoy whatever you have.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #32
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I wouldn't overlook the beauty and convience of wireless downloading. You don't get that with the Kobo.

It may seem like a " nice to have but ehh I can live without it" but seriously once you have it you won't look back and to have that feature at the same price.

being able to pop on to BN.com buy a book and then turn on your Nook and there it is. Sitting in an Airport, cafe where ever, and want to buy something and simple buy and have it under a minute.

No sideloading EVERY SINGLE book.

Color touchscreen, Color book cover art and cover flow, wireless connection, In store Barnes and Noble features, discounts etc.
Throw in the fact it also supports e-Pub, has a more advanced bookstore platform and the fact the screen contrast between the two is pretty big. The Nook has a far better screen.

at the same price as the no frills Kobo? I mean why would you buy the Kobo at the same price, unless maybe you ilved in Canada but besides that.

That would be like purchasing a Camary over a Lexus at athe same price.

To me it's just a no brainer, it really is.
My original post was thus:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinveg View Post
I watched e-readers since the Kindle came out. I was looking for something specific in an e-reader - I wanted to read books.

I didn't want to surf the web.
I didn't want to read a newspaper or magazine.
I didn't want to listen to music or audio books.
I didn't want to look at pictures.
I didn't want to watch videos.
I didn't want to charge the battery every few hours.

I wanted to read books.

I am not able to get around on my own so I have a lot of downtime between places I have to be, so reading is my pastime.

Until the Kobo came out I was using a laptop. I couldn't see spending the money for connectivity, color screen, audio, etc I already had. With Kobo I can load the epub and PDF files from my computer without a lot of hassle and start reading.
And my second post was thus:
Quote:
Well, it's been a week that I have had the Kobo and it has met my expectations; I can read books without a problem.

Yes, I have to fix some with the KoboBulkFixer.
Yes, I need to use Adobe Digital Editions for a couple of titles.

The Borders/Kobo Desktop is basically a storefront so, not yet a buyer of eBooks because I won't pay physical book prices for digital books, and because there are many books available in the public/personal use domain, this app will not get a lot of use.

Calibre is my app of choice for library management/Kobo injection.

So, no wi-fi, no cell phone, no touchscreen. No annotation/highlighting. No dictionary, notepad, calendar. One physical button to change pages. I can read a book without distraction.

I'm happy.
I don't want the features Nook has.
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #33
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
My original post was thus:

And my second post was thus:

I don't want the features Nook has.
I understand your choice and with hopefully no disrespect intended and as the OP of this thread, but I was replying to someone who was torn between the two.

I'm glad the Kobo is fillling your needs
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #34
goinveg
Enthusiast

Quote:
I understand your choice and with hopefully no disrespect intended and as the OP of this thread, but I was replying to someone who was torn between the two.

I'm glad the Kobo is fillling your needs

Ah, OK.

I found no disrespect in your post - this is the internet after all.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:05 AM   #35
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
Quote:
When the Kobo org. came out, coming in at over a $100 cheaper than the Nook and Kindle it was a great option, for a bare bones device. Now they have all come within range and even the same price. I think it's time for the Kobo to be below $100 to be an attractive alternative.
spot on! but here outside US, KOBO is probably, as I said before, is in the upper hand by being available locally price wise.
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #36
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankrix View Post
spot on! but here outside US, KOBO is probably, as I said before, is in the upper hand by being available locally price wise.
Absolutely.

The demand for ereaders here was so great the Kobo was sold out very quickly and continues to be a very popular item for both Borders and Angus and Robertson.

Price wise it should drop to around the $150 mark. But that might not happen until Sony ereaders hit the Australian market and add more competition to what is available locally.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #37
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
Can you use Kobo to read sideways ?
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #38
Ardnas
Ardnas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo
Having been a Kindle 2 owner for 4 months, I have to say I love the wireless download. I've read many posts by people who say they aren't interested in it -- but once you've had access to it, it would be annoying to do without.

But what I would likely miss the most if I bought a Kobo is my onboard dictionary. I use it a lot. Especially when reading the classics.

I'm actually considering a Kobo as a 2nd e-reader so that I can get library books. But Kindle would still be my primary reader-of-choice.
Ardnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #39
goinveg
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
Can you use Kobo to read sideways ?
Not automatically by turning the unit. If you have a PDF you want to view landscape there is a Display menu selection for it.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #40
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
I think the weight of the nook is a huge issue. I bought the eSlick, which is the same manufacturer as the Kobo reader, at Christmas because I could read my books that I had purchased for my palm. This summer I finally checked out the nook, which is the only other reader that would allow me to read PDB format. It is twice the weight of the eSlick, and I presume the Kobo reader since they are made by the same company. I love the lightness of the eSlick because you can just hold it with one hand and not get tired. I don't think I could comfortably do that with the nook.

I am attracted to the nook with it's color menu screen and touch pad, but think th eSlick was a better choice for the weight factor.

I keep my books loaded on an SD card, which I can just pop in and out very easily from my reader and my laptop (which has a built-in reader). So transferring books is very easy and does not involve a cable.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #41
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredplanet View Post
I bought a KOBO three weeks and 2 full ebooks ago ... Here's my verdict:
Me and My KOBO cheers!
Nice review.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #42
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Glad to hear.enjoy it
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #43
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnas View Post
Having been a Kindle 2 owner for 4 months, I have to say I love the wireless download. I've read many posts by people who say they aren't interested in it -- but once you've had access to it, it would be annoying to do without.

But what I would likely miss the most if I bought a Kobo is my onboard dictionary. I use it a lot. Especially when reading the classics.

I'm actually considering a Kobo as a 2nd e-reader so that I can get library books. But Kindle would still be my primary reader-of-choice.
That's very true. Many have said that they want just the basics, no wifi or anything. But I think that's shortsighted. There will be situations where you are stuck with your eReader, no wifi, and a bunch of books you've already read 20 times. What will you do then?

I cannot imagine having my Kindle and no connection of any type. God forbid I would have to manually transfer using a computer. Yikes!
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #44
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
There will be situations where you are stuck with your eReader, no wifi, and a bunch of books you've already read 20 times. What will you do then?
Do you really think so?

I stockpile books (paperbook and now electronic). I have a year's worth of books waiting to be read, and yet I still keep adding books to my collection weekly. So I don't really see the above scenario being possible for me.
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:36 AM   #45
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
That's very true. Many have said that they want just the basics, no wifi or anything. But I think that's shortsighted.
I assume you are speaking for yourself in that regard? Assuming other people are shortsighted, as they do not measure up to your expectations of what people ought to have in their chosen device IS shortsighted and a little rude.

I carry my Samsung smartphone everywhere with me. It has all the bells and whistles imaginable. My chosen ereaders just display books. Both device types were chosen to suit my needs only. No one else's.

It is nice to have a little sanity in this fast moving world of instant communication. My basic ereaders provide the carriage for that. Sanity prevails.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo