Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Lightbulb ANN: RunDebug and Icon lua scripts

Well, in fact this is not a proper release, as both of these applications are included in Lua megapackage (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79273) since version 2.

Anyway, I think they deserve enough interest to have a proper announcement

RunDebug (aka run_debug.lua)
This application lets run some other programs and get the output. It is specially useful to execute command line based scripts or to check why some applications don't start properly.
It understands some special types of files like lua, python or shell scripts. Even it can run the proper command if you select a .desktop file! More help inside the program.
To run, start from its own .desktop file once lua package is copied to the ereader, no command line needed.

icons.lua
A simple script which parses .desktop files looking for Icon entries. If those point to a valid .png file it will modify device database so the device will use those images as icons from now on.
To execute, run it from RunDebug (it's in <SD card>/Programs/_lua/Scripts), exit and enjoy your new world of beautiful images!

Enjoy,
Iņigo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-rundebug.png
Views:	482
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	51827   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-icons-1.png
Views:	499
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	51828   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-icons-2.png
Views:	468
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	51829  
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Great!!
I immediately tried them on the DR1000 (with firmware R2 beta) they behave as expected. I really would like to have as much icons as you have, can you post the bitmaps with the desktop files, that would make it much easier for others (and me ).
Thanks!
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Great!!
I immediately tried them on the DR1000 (with firmware R2 beta) they behave as expected. I really would like to have as much icons as you have, can you post the bitmaps with the desktop files, that would make it much easier for others (and me ).
Thanks!
I hope "as expected" means "ok"

All my released packages already contain their icon. Look at _<package>/share/pixmaps/<package>.png. That's the usual location for them in Linux.

The other icons shown in the screenshots not present in their original packages are gnuplot, rxvt and techpdf. I've attached the images I use.

Anyway, my recommendation for every packager/porter is to add themselves the image they prefer, it's quite easy:
- Add an image in .png format to _<package>/share/pixmaps/<package>.png
- Add a line to the end of the <package>.desktop file containing something like:
Icon=/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_<package>/share/pixmaps/<package>.png

and from the user perspective is just a matter of reindex the contents of the DR in case it is a new package and run "icons.lua".

Finally, some places with free icons:
- /usr/share/pixmaps directory in any Linux computer
- http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=120x121
- and of course, http://www.openclipart.org/

just remember to convert to .png format.
The dimensions are not important, as the script resize the images before adding to the database.

Btw, isn't lua beautiful? Not as much as python. But even without knowing much about lua, it's quite easy to start developing useful things. I'm really liking it.
Have you noticed how fast RunDebug starts? I would dare to say is the same speed as any C program! And try to write all that sqlite stuff in C!
I wish iRex include lua support natively as other vendors (photo camera, music players, etc). Only 4 MB.
Btw 2, after some years apart from C now I suffer when I have to read and edit C sources... that's the main issue when dealing with python
Attached Files
File Type: gz icons.tar.gz (9.0 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by Iņigo; 05-19-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Thanks for the missing icons.
I think I will follow your advice and have a look at lua.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
The icons are looking great. Thank you!
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
debug, icons, lua, scripts