Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
nixwinter
nixwinter began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
book cover

hi!

I can get my book cover into the file.. and it shows in the interior, but it doesn't show on my ipad library... just a simple brown cover. This won't be so helpful.

I've put the cover image as the very first thing in the file.

What am I doing wrong?

Nix
nixwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Since you have responded to the thread discussing iPad cover support, you know that there needs to be a special <meta> tag in the metadata section of your OPF file.

The currently available version of Sigil doesn't not have this functionality since the iPad was just recently released. The next version of Sigil should have this.

For the time being, just create your epub file as normal, and then extract it with a zip tool, add the required <meta> element by hand and zip it back up (do note that the mimetype file has to be the first file in the final archive and also has to be uncompressed).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
nixwinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Since you have responded to the thread discussing iPad cover support, you know that there needs to be a special <meta> tag in the metadata section of your OPF file.

The currently available version of Sigil doesn't not have this functionality since the iPad was just recently released. The next version of Sigil should have this.

For the time being, just create your epub file as normal, and then extract it with a zip tool, add the required <meta> element by hand and zip it back up (do note that the mimetype file has to be the first file in the final archive and also has to be uncompressed).
I have found the OPF file... the epub won't unzip with the build in zip program... it needed Stuffit... but what do I open an OPF file with?

I'm so sorry I'm so slow about all this

Nix
Old 04-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the thread I referenced there's a very good post by charleski illustrating what needs to be done.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
nixwinter

Quote:
In the thread I referenced there's a very good post by charleski illustrating what needs to be done.

It's so sad.. I've been working at this ALL day. I can get the file open, get the stuff I think ought to be there in, zip it all back up, but it doesn't work. I fear I have no idea what a dict anything is.

I swear I'm not stupid. I write really decent novels, do some decent art work.

I just don't understand why some new great universal format would want to be so insanely difficult.
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
No problem, Nixwinter. We'll do this step by step. 1) Go back to the ePub version before you started editing it (I hope you have made a backup). 2) Open the ZIP file and open the OPF file. 3) Since you have added the cover picture before, most of the meta data are already there. The only thing you should add is
Code:
      <meta name="cover"  content="cover-image" />
in the metadata section.
4) Now you have to change the word "cover-image" to the name Sigil gave to your cover image. This can be found in the manifest section of the same file. It is probably something like img0001.jpg (if you made your ePub with Sigil) and the name is preceded by id=
5) Save the file and zip all the files again as Valloric said before.

That's it. If it still doesn't work, post your entire OPF file so that we can have a look!

Last edited by paulpeer; 04-14-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typos
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
If it still doesn't work, post your entire OPF file so that we can have a look!
Yeah, if you can't get it to work, just post your entire OPF here.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
nixwinter

good morning!!!

I am so very grateful for you all's help!

I'm just a broke little writer/comic person. When I get this to work, and I can get this book sold through the ipad, and look decent while it's there, I shall offer you both a picture or story of your choice!

but... for today...

Here is where I'm trying to validate:

http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/

I have a couple of files that will validate, but no covers. The cover is really important if I have any hope of paying my rent.

Just changing the extension from epub to zip and back to epub will cause the file to fail validation. (Makes me think the validation system is too crazy difficult, but that's another issue.)

Paulpeer: ) Go back to the ePub version before you started editing it (I hope you have made a backup). 2) Open the ZIP file and open the OPF file.

Me: *goes to do* Okay.. .the .opf file will open without changing the name, if I just point it towards Textwrangler... Also, I didn't change the name of the epub to zip... just pointed it towards stuffit expander

Paulpeer: 3) Since you have added the cover picture before, most of the meta data are already there. The only thing you should add is
Code:
<meta name="cover" content="cover-image" />
in the metadata section.

Me: *thinks... meta data section*.. *wonders if that's like the nose bleed section at the ballet* So there must be other meta data... I'll put it next to the other meta data *looks* Yup.. there was other meta data and I put it right below it... next step!

Paulpeer: 4) Now you have to change the word "cover-image" to the name Sigil gave to your cover image. This can be found in the manifest section of the same file. It is probably something like img0001.jpg (if you made your ePub with Sigil) and the name is preceded by id=

Me: This should not me as scary as it is... it's just some files. *slaps back of hand to palm* I can do this! Okay... Manifest section of the same file.... so.. in this same file I have open *looks* There it is! Labled with the <manifest> tag! *cheers*
okay.. so not this one: href="Images/shelly_Silveroak.jpg" but this one... id="shelly_Silveroak.jpg" and probably just shelly_Silveroak.jpg So I've made it:

<meta name="cover" content="shelly_Silveroak.jpg" />

I think I did it right. But it imports into itunes without a cover, and now it doesn't validate.

OPF file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:title>The House of Silver Oak</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Nix Winter</dc:creator>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="CustomID">shelly_Silveroak.jpg</dc:identifier>
<meta name="Sigil version" content="0.2.0"/>
<meta name="cover" content="shelly_Silveroak.jpg" />
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
<item id="shelly_Silveroak.jpg" href="Images/shelly_Silveroak.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item id="Section0001.xhtml" href="Text/Section0001.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="Section0002.xhtml" href="Text/Section0002.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="Section0001.xhtml"/>
<itemref idref="Section0002.xhtml"/>
</spine>
<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="Cover Page" href="Text/Section0001.xhtml"/>
</guide>
</package>

Validation Errors:

17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub is NOT valid
ERROR: 17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 34
ERROR: 17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub: Required META-INF/container.xml resource is missing
Check finished with warnings or errors!
Preflight report
Epubpreflight runs some of the same validation as epubcheck, but additionally checks for problems like very large file sizes that might affect some reading systems.
ERROR: 17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub: mimetype entry missing or not the first in archive
ERROR: 17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub: META-INF/container.xml is missing
Check finished with warnings or errors!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixwinter View Post
just pointed it towards stuffit expander
Ah, you're using a Mac... your problem is that stuffit is messing up the archive.

The opf listing you posted looks fine, but you need to re-zip the files properly. Unpack all the files in the epub into a folder and make the changes you need in the opf file, then read this thread and use the little script that's attached there to repackage all the files as an epub.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
nixwinter

That solution is fantastic! It will validate again! I owe you art or story!

But my cover is still not showing in itunes

If it ships to the ipad without a cover that will be sad. I can also give Sigil a credit on my isbn page if you'd like. As the software used to create the epub.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iTunes might not like the period in the cover id. Try
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:title>The House of Silver Oak</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Nix Winter</dc:creator>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="CustomID">shelly_Silveroak.jpg</dc:identifier>
<meta name="Sigil version" content="0.2.0"/>
<meta name="cover" content="cover_image" />
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
<item id="cover_image" href="Images/shelly_Silveroak.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item id="Section0001.xhtml" href="Text/Section0001.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="Section0002.xhtml" href="Text/Section0002.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="Section0001.xhtml"/>
<itemref idref="Section0002.xhtml"/>
</spine>
<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="Cover Page" href="Text/Section0001.xhtml"/>
</guide>
</package>
I assume the opf file is in the root folder with two folders, 'Text' and 'Images', yes?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
nixwinter

I'm not sure if it's in the root directory or not..

I've attached a screen shot. It's how the files came out of Sigil for me.

Nix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	49907  
Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
charleski
Wizard

Looks like everything's in the right place.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #14
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
iTunes might not like the period in the cover id.
No, that can't be the problem, Charleski. All my ebooks have this tag
Code:
<meta name="cover" content="img0001.jpg" />
and they appear perfectly in iTunes.
But what else can be wrong????

Last edited by paulpeer; 04-17-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: typos
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #15
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
Quote:

One additional warning for Sigil 0.2.0 users:

Once you unzip the ePub and add the required meta information (and zip it back properly, change the extension, and add it back to iTunes) and it works:

Do NOT ever edit that ePub with Sigil again.

Sigil deletes the meta line from the .opf file (or maybe deletes and recreates the whole file, I'm not sure), and your cover will vanish (effectively, so far as iBooks is concerned).

Once again: after adding the required line by hand, do not edit the ePub with Sigil or it will disappear, and you'll have to add it back.

Fair warning.
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote