Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
verbose
verbose began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505. Kindle 2 and iPhone
Kindle sent from US to Canada

I am in Canada, but have a sister-in-law who lives in the US and is willing to order a kindle for me.

She does not have an account with Amazon and is not interested in
getting one for herself, so there would be no confusion about who ordered books from there. It would be me. I would send her a
Money Order in advance for kindle, cover, and gift card.

My questions are: When she receives the kindle and gift card from
Amazon, should she de-register the kindle before she sends it to me, or should I just leave it in her name?

And, secondly, should the gift card she orders be sent to the address I usually use at Amazon, or should I ask her to send
it to my gmail account.....or does it matter?

Thank you so much, in advance. I am already getting thrilled at
the prospect of getting a kindle sooner than I expected.
verbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I'll give an opinion (i.e. don't know for sure). I don't think you sister-in-law even has to register the kindle but when you do register, you have to include in the registration a US addressed credit card. You don't ever have to use that card. All your purchases can be made with gift cards.

As for the gift card, if she sends it to you, then no one else will know where you are, US or Canada or anywhere. So I believe that you only have to worry about the credit card's billing address and some other posters have mentioned a work around for that but I'm not sure what it was. Something about some agencies that will "US" register a card through their company, I think.

Oh & welcome to MR.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Verbose.

She doesn't even need to create the account. You create the account and use her address. On YOUR ca account buy a gift card. Apply that gift card to the us account and buy the kindle. It will be registered to that us account and shipped to your sister.

You are good to go at that point. Just apply gift cards to your us account that you purchase from you ca account in order to buy/dl ebooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Verbose.......just be sure and ask all your relatives, friends, etc, that for your birthday, Christmas, New Years Day, etc, you want Amazon GC'S!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Verbose.......just be sure and ask all your relatives, friends, etc, that for your birthday, Christmas, New Years Day, etc, you want Amazon GC'S!
Double that suggestion!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I still find it bizaare that they haven't been able to release the Kindle in Canada. Book publishers are moving as slowly as the record and film industries. You would think they would learn from the experience of other related industries.

But anyway, more related to the question I bought one for a relative in Australia. Left it in my name, works great for her!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
You can just order kindle from your canadian amazon account but remember to ship it to your sister.

Then when your sister send it to you you can register it with a new amazon account that you have to open with amazon USA using a different email address, not Canada.

You just use your sister's address in that account (US amazon). You don't need a US credit card to order kindle books. What you do, you buy gift card from amazon canada account, choose the option to email the gift code to your email address. Then apply the gift code in you US amazon account where you register kindle.

Don't put any credit card information in US amazon account if it's Canadian. It works.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I still find it bizaare that they haven't been able to release the Kindle in Canada.
Don't know about Canada, but in the UK they're supposedly waiting on publishers to have a large enough quantity of ebooks available. Might be the same in Canada.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
verbose
verbose began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505. Kindle 2 and iPhone
Thanks slayda, pilotbob, fugazied, hkabir and AnemicOak for all the information and thanks desertgrandma and badgoodDeb for the GC suggestion.
The kindle has been ordered and I'm like a kid on a car trip....Are we there yet?
verbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbose View Post
Thanks slayda, pilotbob, fugazied, hkabir and AnemicOak for all the information and thanks desertgrandma and badgoodDeb for the GC suggestion.
The kindle has been ordered and I'm like a kid on a car trip....Are we there yet?
You will be soon enough. In the meantime, download the Kindle users guide, whether 1 or 2, and read it ..........twice.

Heres the link for both. You'll want the PDF version, so you can read it on your computer. Enjoy!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
meibao
meibao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I live in Singapore and I'm planning to get a Kindle. I'll be using a shipping service we have here with our postal service where they provide us with a US address for shipping of goods before forwarding to Singapore. I'll be using that address to register my account and just buy books with a gift card. I just won't be able to use the wireless system on the Kindle but this lovely little device allows you to upload books via your pc through USB and you can download any books you buy from Amazon directly to your pc.
meibao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Becareful Verbose.
You need to buy the gift certificates from a US account since the gift certificates are only redeemable in the currency they were issued. I tried to redeem a CDN gift certificate in my US account and I got an error message. I ask Amazon customer service for an answer and that's what I got (US with US, CDn with CDN...).

So be sure to use a US account to have those certificates issued.

That's waht I did !!
SteGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Applecart
Applecart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am intrigued how you managed to get a US account with Amazon.com and a US$ gift card.

I just spoke to Amazon.com customer service. They are absolutely firm that you must have a US$ credit card issued by a US bank AND a US address in order to buy and download books for the Kindle. They also said that they will not accept a gift card purchased on Amazon.ca for a US purchase. In any event, even if you want to use a gift card, they say you still must have a US$ credit card with a US address. They claim that they can't sell the Kindle or the books outside of the US because of copyright and other publishing issues. Of course, they cannot explain how e-Reader and Sony e-reader can be sold all over the world and people can buy e- books even though they don't have a US address!
Applecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecart View Post
In any event, even if you want to use a gift card, they say you still must have a US$ credit card with a US address.
All you need is a credit card (from anywhere) and a valid US address (not necessarily your own), see Amazon Kindle outside of the US. The required procedure may be byzantine, but it is impossible to enforce regional restrictions on Internet ebook sales (particularly since all vendors love gift cards). However, if Amazon ever goes bankrupt your gift card balance will be lost. This is probably more of an issue at some other ebook stores than an Amazon, but it applies to all US retailers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I would still have your sister register it while it's in the US, so she can customize the device name and contact info the way you want it. I guess she is going to order it from the US on your US Amazon account and password? Since it'll be in your account name there will be no need to deregister it.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote