Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Vadrus
Vadrus began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
Simplifying a pdf?

Is it possible to take a complex (usually layered) pdf and turn it into a simpler form of pdf?

I have many rpg books in pdf format that either cannot be opened on my DR1000s or are painfully slow at loading / page turns / etc.

I'm desperate to find any way of improving the situation as at the moment the reader is just gathering dust as it is of little practical use.

Is there anything I can do or am I stuck until a better large screen ebook comes on the market?
Vadrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadrus View Post
Is it possible to take a complex (usually layered) pdf and turn it into a simpler form of pdf?

I have many rpg books in pdf format that either cannot be opened on my DR1000s or are painfully slow at loading / page turns / etc.

I'm desperate to find any way of improving the situation as at the moment the reader is just gathering dust as it is of little practical use.

Is there anything I can do or am I stuck until a better large screen ebook comes on the market?
You can do it with any PDF editor that has a "merge" command. Merge the layers into one and then save it as a new PDF.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Vadrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
You can do it with any PDF editor that has a "merge" command. Merge the layers into one and then save it as a new PDF.
Thanks

Is there one you could recommend? I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgable about things like this.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Thanks

Is there one you could recommend? I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgable about things like this.
I believe that layers came out with either Adobe 6 or 7. You might want to Google "layered PDF" and see which programs that also create PDF support layers. If they support layers, they are going to have a merge command. Any program that allows you to make layers of anything is going to have a merge layers command.

With respect to Adobe, see if you can't find the earliest version that supported layers. You can very likely get a screaming good deal for it on ebay or other online sources since they are now up to version 9.

I don't know if any of the free or el cheepo PDF creators out there support layers. I've been using Acrobat Pro for a loooong time, so I'm a little out of the loop as to what other programs can do.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Vadrus

Thanks for the swift reply, I'll have a look for one of the earlier versions of adobe the current one seems very expensive.

The other option I was just looking at is Foxit PDF Editor as I use the reader and prefer it to the adobe version. Now I just have to work out if it supports layers.
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks for the swift reply, I'll have a look for one of the earlier versions of adobe the current one seems very expensive.

The other option I was just looking at is Foxit PDF Editor as I use the reader and prefer it to the adobe version. Now I just have to work out if it supports layers.
If you can print the document you can use some of the PDF print solutions to create a new PDF that is much simpler. I use one from Neevia. However, you may lose some of the intelligence in the file such as toc and links.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Under Linux the pdfopt command uses ghostscript to "linearize" PDFs. I don't know how hard it would be to port gs to the DR1000S. If this was possible then pdfopt could be run on the device itself.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:

Google Foxit and layer support.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #9
Vadrus

Just a quick update, tried a few options and managed to simplify several of the problem pdfs, of course they still either don't work or are painfully slow so I'm reluctantly coming to the conlusion that the Dr1000s is just not up to the task of handling anything but text on a plain background and the very simplest of pictures / diagrams

Ah well, seems I'm going to be waiting a few more years for eInk technologies to catch up with the fancy layouts of pdf RPGs.

Thanks for the advice though, at least I now know I've tried.

Vadrus
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Try to export (save) the pages of your books as images then reassemble them in PDF’s (one per book).
Experiment those in the reader.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Vadrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

Try to export (save) the pages of your books as images then reassemble them in PDF’s (one per book).
Experiment those in the reader.

Best regards,
Not sure I want to put that effort in when the smallest book I'd want to convert is 160 pages and there are 15 in all ranging up to 320 pages.

It just seems that if the document isn't just a plain background with text and simple art then the DR1000 can't cope, as most of the books have extensive background images and artwork it struggles to render them.

Vadrus