Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
Dark-Show
Dark-Show began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
On device site scraper

Hello, Kinda new here, been lurking for a while.

At the moment my current project has been a website scraper, that scrapes lets say CNN news stories and turns them into a EPUB, then using kindlegen into MOBI. My idea is to have a script for the kindle to select a website, then it would scrape and form a book. Is this possible, I have yet to hack my PW2 (was waiting for the software jailbreak) but my only question would be if we can convert ebooks on the device or if there is a way to make a mobi directly.

Also would people be interested in this project?

If no on device conversion is possible I could host a script that would convert the EPUB to MOBI, and output the new book. But i would much rather the conversion be done on the device.
Dark-Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Can we spell copyright infringement and possibly plagiarism?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Dark-Show

Never really thought about that. I mean it would be just a tool to format content that's hosted on sites for your kindle. I wanted to have the news on my kindle for a while, kind of like a newspaper.

EDIT:
And if all links and sources are given, wouldn't it just be a reference ebook?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Check the news content available on amazon. Or look at using calibre and see what feeds it can give you.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably OK for personal use. But you obviously couldn't give the output to anyone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Dark-Show

But that's what I mean, take feeds and turn them into book with just your kindle. Same as what calibre would do. Just without the need of a computer.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
Dark-Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Probably OK for personal use. But you obviously couldn't give the output to anyone.
Well it would be personal, I mean if possible use maybe a simple DRM to lock it to the kindle it was generated on?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Show View Post
Never really thought about that. I mean it would be just a tool to format content that's hosted on sites for your kindle. I wanted to have the news on my kindle for a while, kind of like a newspaper.

EDIT:
And if all links and sources are given, wouldn't it just be a reference ebook?
It is much more like what most news services sell you.
You can get (often by purchase) news feeds, I think even from Amazon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
Dark-Show

Ahh so it would be an illegal project. Well I mean the initial idea was for news sites, but would It be more legal if it scraped say User made stories sites? Have references for the site and the author. Or would this still be copyright infringement and possibly plagiarism?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Show View Post
Ahh so it would be an illegal project. Well I mean the initial idea was for news sites, but would It be more legal if it scraped say User made stories sites? Have references for the site and the author. Or would this still be copyright infringement and possibly plagiarism?
What do you mean by User site?
You may not be aware but anytime a person posts something on a website, it is automatically copyrighted.

Be very careful with your scraping.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #11
Dark-Show

Well I suppose I'll keep this a private project then. Ahaha I just like to share the love.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Scaremongering aside, HarryT already made it clear that it is OK.
The tool is functionally similar to calibre's News Recipes feature.

Obviously you cannot redistribute them without violating e.g. CNN's copyright... but that has nothing to do with the tool.

Now to actually answer your question
The only two EPUB --> MOBI/AZW3 converters are Amazon's kindlegen and the conversion code in calibre.

kindlegen is closed-source and Amazon doesn't offer ARM builds (how many people write and publish books from their Kindle ).
calibre can be built under ARM but it has large dependencies.

I would say your best bet is to use calibre's source to write your own lightweight converter, possibly just regluing calibre's source code.
NiLuJe has published python builds for the Kindle (see the screensavers thread).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I will admit that I misread his original post. I read it as making ebooks and selling them.

As to his intent, that is ok if the contents are personal use only.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Thanks!
I must have mis-read the post also. My bad.

For your own use, it is just a fancy way to organize your viewing.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Heck I am taking my most used recipes from the Internet and putting them on index cards.

Tags
epub, mobi conversion, news, scraper