Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
CanadianContent
Enthusiast
CanadianContent began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Will we get Kindle in Canada?

Does anybody have any info on whether Kindle will ever be available in Canada? I've been holding out for some positive indication on the possibility of maybe a wifi Kindle here, but have not heard even a rumor. Anybody know anything to encourage me?
CanadianContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sorry, I haven't heard anything.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I feel like we've become third world...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would you still use it without the Whispernet component? Some people in the U.S. can't use it either.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Maybe. Eventually.

But there are a couple things to consider about a Wifi based Kindle. The first is that by using Wfi you give up the neatest feature, which is the seamless internet connection.

The other point you should consider is that you can achieve most of the Kindle's functions with a device that runs Mobipocket Reader and has a Wifi card. There are any number of devices that can do this. I have an old HP Jornada 720, and it has replaced my Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Although part of the beauty of the Kindle is also the tight integration with Amazon. This can be a curse because it locks you into buying books from them at their prices, but it does mean that everything integrates really well and you don't get compatibility problems. Also, if there is a tech issue, there's no 'buck passing' and them blaming it on someone else in the chain.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Amazon's book prices are pretty good. Pricing and selection was one the major reasons I chose the Kindle.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
Although part of the beauty of the Kindle is also the tight integration with Amazon. This can be a curse because it locks you into buying books from them at their prices, but it does mean that everything integrates really well and you don't get compatibility problems. Also, if there is a tech issue, there's no 'buck passing' and them blaming it on someone else in the chain.
You're not locked into Amazon. You can easily load any non-DRMed MobiPocket ebook. Most DRMed MobiPocket books can be massaged so that the Kindle can accept them.

I've only purchased around a dozen books from Amazon but have close to 2000 ebooks on my Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I've only purchased around a dozen books from Amazon but have close to 2000 ebooks on my Kindle.
I've got you beat. I've only purchased 2 books from Amazon. I really don't like that they are so locked down. I love getting my newspaper wirelessly from them though and since I don't keep a newspaper more than a week I don't care that it's locked to my one and only Kindle.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
So far I've been able to unlock all the books I've purchased from Amazon. On the off chance that I want to reread them at some future time on a different device. I do love the newspaper, magazine, and blog subscriptions. That was the main reason I was so disappointed that I forgot my Kindle when I went on vacation. I was able to download a few books to my Touch but I really missed the subscriptions. It would be great if Amazon had a PC reader because I also had my tablet. Still can't believe I forgot my Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
Eliza54
Eliza54
Eliza54 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Sony Reader

Does anyone know anything about the Sony Reader? I just discovered it today. Should I buy it? I really want Kindle though.

I should mention that I am from Canada and we cannot get Kindle.

Last edited by Eliza54; 09-05-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Eliza54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza54 View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Sony Reader? I just discovered it today. Should I buy it? I really want Kindle though.

Alot of people here know alot about it. What did you want to know?

Yes, you should buy it!!!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:

Welcome to the forum! BOb's right. There's an astonishing amount of knowledge about the Sony Reader here. Take a look at the Sony Reader PRS-505 info in the wiki.

I've owned my Reader for about 9 months (yup, it's my baby!) and use it every single day.

Is there any particular feature of the Kindle that you like or need? Have you explored the ebooks available here?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

You should also consider the CyBook Gen3. It has (IMHO) many benefits over the Sony Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Kindle may yet come to Canada
Quote:
..According to publications by New Zealand PCWorld and The Globe and Mail, Amazon is currently involved in intensive talks with Vodafone regarding the wireless access in NZ and with three different wireless phone companies in Canada...
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote