Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Purrceyz
Enthusiast
Purrceyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 7 tablet
Kobo vs Kindle dedicated e-reader

Hi all,

I have an early 1st generation which I'm thinking of replacing. I'm torn between getting a new Kobo (Glo?) or Kindle Paperwhite. Which one do you prefer and why?
./
I like the fact that the Kobo uses epub & it's Canadian but I find it slow in turning pages & dislike its management software (use Calibre instead). There were also a lot of bugs in the beginning and their online tech people seemed rather indifferent.

A friend of mine who was also an early adopter of the Kobo replaced it a couple of years ago with a Kindle which she says it much faster. I did ask about the closed Kindle format but she also uses Calibre to convert epub to a format the Kindle can recognize.

Are the newer Kobos better? Which one do you prefer? Which would you recommend?

Suggestions, comments welcome
Old 03-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you've got a 1st gen Kobo, of course it's slow in turning pages! My Aura is quick as a wink - I've had to retrain myself not to turn the page while I'm still a couple of lines from the bottom. The newer Kobos and Kindles really don't have an issue with page-turning slowness, so you can base your decision on other issues that are important to you, whether it's fonts or display customisation or ecosystem or etc.
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrceyz View Post
I have an early 1st generation which I'm thinking of replacing. I'm torn between getting a new Kobo (Glo?) or Kindle Paperwhite. Which one do you prefer and why?
I greatly prefer a Kobo over the Kindle Paperwhite. I returned my PW.

The Kobo Aura HD is the best, but if you want something more portable, a Glo, Aura, or Mini are all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrceyz View Post
I find it slow in turning pages & dislike its management software (use Calibre instead).
No slow page turns on any of mine, and I use Calibre to manage mine. It is a positive, not a negative. There are so many more things you can do with the Kobo+ Calibre then you can do with a Paperwhite, with or without Calibre. I would never go back to a reader that couldn't be managed with Calibre.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Hi,

I have had a Kobo Glo for over a year now and it still works great. I have dropped it accidentally with no damage to the unit anywhere.

Yesterday, I was given the opportunity to pick up a pw2 for only $79 at my local bestbuy. Right away I noticed that the background on my glo is a lot whiter than the background on the pw2. The dimmer light on the pw2 combined with the darker background has me setting the light at over 18. (which is not far from the max setting) That is not a terrible thing.(and not everyone is like this)I think that it also has something to do with the fonts kindle uses. On my glo, I have added heavier fonts whick are way easier for me to see in dimmer light. I would have to jailbreak the kindle to add more fonts.(I don't think that it is difficult to do and I may try it later today) I think that both of these units are very similar but for me so far...I prefer me glo. I have 15 days to return the pw2 to bestbuy so I will give it a full weekand return to reply again with my verdict.

Hope this helps,

Penny
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Oops..double post

Penny

Last edited by mystika1; 03-25-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Duplicate thread; See other thread with poll to continue discussion.
Thread closed.

Kobo vs Kindle dedicated e-reader with poll
Closed Thread

Tags
kobo.