Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Diane Duane's young wizard books are good.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
A thriller/romance mix you might enjoy is Ken Follett's Night over Water. It's even historical.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You guys are awesome!
Looks like I have some (extremely enjoyable) homework to do.
I must be a true history addict because the historical books certainly fire my interest.
Off to check the recommendations out - and yes, the book club sounds a great idea.
Do keep those suggestions coming...
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Some that you might like:

The Secret River by Kate Grenville
Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #20
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
A second to Anne McCaffrey... Although I'd recommend starting with a little trilogy of hers, dragonsong, dragonsinger and dragondrums. Probably altogether a third of your average historical novel (which in my experience tend to be rather hefty tomes.)

Last edited by Merischino; 09-04-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spell correct gone wrong
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
A second to Anne McCaffrey... Although I'd recommend starting with a little trilogy of hers, dragonsong, dragonsinger and dragondrums. Probably altogether a third of your average historical novel (which in my experience tend to be rather hefty tomes.)
I've been thinking about investigating Anne Mc Caffrey for a while...
Old 09-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
I've been thinking about investigating Anne Mc Caffrey for a while...
that little trilogy was my introduction to her nearly 30 years ago. I found it mesmerizing and truly memorable. I've reread it several times. There were later additions to that and it became a series (much later?) subset of the Pern universe of books... the dragon books which were mentioned are also great and I have nothing bad to say about them.

Another trilogy that is a return-to-it-often favorite of mine is also by Anne McCaffrey: Crystal Singer, Killashandra, and Crystal Line. All about a young woman stymied in her operatic career who goes off-world and joins a mysterious, elite organization where her vocal talents can be applied to the science of cutting crystals used for interstellar travel (among other uses) -- *if* her body can adapt successfully to a planetary organism. The character development and uniqueness of the kinds of challenges she faces are exceptionally well done. This trilogy does not take place in the same "universe" as the Pern books. (no dragons)
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
Grace Elliot
Groupie

Quote:
that little trilogy was my introduction to her nearly 30 years ago. I found it mesmerizing and truly memorable. I've reread it several times. There were later additions to that and it became a series (much later?) subset of the Pern universe of books... the dragon books which were mentioned are also great and I have nothing bad to say about them.

Another trilogy that is a return-to-it-often favorite of mine is also by Anne McCaffrey: Crystal Singer, Killashandra, and Crystal Line. All about a young woman stymied in her operatic career who goes off-world and joins a mysterious, elite organization where her vocal talents can be applied to the science of cutting crystals used for interstellar travel (among other uses) -- *if* her body can adapt successfully to a planetary organism. The character development and uniqueness of the kinds of challenges she faces are exceptionally well done. This trilogy does not take place in the same "universe" as the Pern books. (no dragons)
Isn't it wonderful when you discover an author whose work you can really immerse yourself in and know their are plenty more books to read...
This is the sort of thing I'm looking for.
G x
Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #24
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If you have not yet read it, I strongly suggest Flowers for Algernon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #25
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I second the recommendation for the Crystal Singer trilogy. I can't give a particular reason as it has been many years since I read it but I remember liking it a lot.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
To keep in the history theme:

Bernard Cornwell, especially his "Sharpe" series,
Louis L'Amour's "Sackett" series, (especially the first four which are set in the late 1500's to early 1600's), as well as his "The Walking Drum"
Stephen R. Lawhead's "The Celtic Crusades Trilogy"
Robert Harris' "Pompeii"
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
Hi there,
My ideal book is one that's well written with believable characters and an absorbing plot.
James Clavell - Shogun, if you have not yet read it.

It's historical (at least, based on history), some romance, but not a romance novel.

Eiji Yoshikawa - Musashi (not available as an e-book)

Same...

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-20-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Eiji Yoshikawa - Musashi (not available as an e-book)
It is in the US, I own a copy. Much easier than hauling the hardcover around.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It is in the US, I own a copy. Much easier than hauling the hardcover around.
Where did you get that?

There is a (quite good, but certainly not perfect) pirated version floating around the 'net...

BTW, both books are quite hefty, indeed; around a thousand pages in hardback.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Where did you get that?
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...he-samurai-era
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote