Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question [Silly] Red edges?

Found this interesting tidbit about the color red; to do any kind of actual work (i.e. anything requiring critical thinking or on which your performance will be measured), there is a growing body of research indicating that viewing the color red can decrease performance.

From the Journal of Experimental Psychology (2007, Vol. 136, No. 1, 154–168): http://www.psych.rochester.edu/facul...ardt_Color.pdf

Edit: Originally posted by a fellow wooter in the latest PE thread on woot.com

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 06-29-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Give credit where due.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Oh well, you found me out - I'm just using mine for leisure activities!

glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I like that -- "evokes avoidance motivation" -- lol! Stop! Danger! Do not touch!

Next time I take a test I think I'll wear red to throw off my competition . . . heheh!!

Tried to join Team Red but was foiled in the attempt. <sigh> Team Black instead. Skins FTW!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
NOW I know why the stupid thing is slowly refusing to run previously working apps one by one! dangit, I should have only ordered blacks today!!!
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
A few years ago it was all the rage to get teachers to convert to using purple as a correction colour, because red was seen to be as too harsh and intimidating. Purple incorporates the calmness of blue, and it was thought it would offset that knee-jerk "Oh my gosh, my paper's covered in red!" feeling.

I haven't read the article linked yet, but I suspect we'll find this effect is seen because of experiences with the red pen, and not that red is an inherently demotivating colour. In fact, I bet if they conducted experiments using teachers as the subject, we might find that red energizes them or makes them more critical/sharp/astute for the exact same reason. Red still implies criticism, just giving it, not taking it, to teachers.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Sarah -

I'm in a (sort of) educational discipline, and there is some preliminary research to indicate that the "red ink of death" philosophy is mostly a urban myth. In a relatively small study conducted by Cindy Johanek, she discovered that different ink colors didn't actually change the perception of students, at least when it comes to comments on writing assignments. She discusses it in a book on methodology.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

The sample size was extremely small (N=57), but here's one observation:

Quote:
Overall, and surprisingly, red ink seemed to be slightly preferred by students in this study.
Obviously, you'd have to do more research to draw any firm conclusions.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Heh, as a homeschooling mom, I have one daughter that just the threat of the red pen gets her on track.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
I work at a college and there was once a faculty member whom administration told to stop correcting in red pen because the students found her too "aggressive." She got even by using a totally unreadable gold glitter pen. The students couldn't tell what she had written but their reports sure were pretty and sparkly.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
kennyminot
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I work at a college and there was once a faculty member whom administration told to stop correcting in red pen because the students found her too "aggressive." She got even by using a totally unreadable gold glitter pen. The students couldn't tell what she had written but their reports sure were pretty and sparkly.
LOL - you can be a monstrous grader in all the colors of the rainbow.