Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Pudnhead
Pudnhead began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Text files, passwords

Two possibly stupid questions:
1. Is is possible to open text files on either screen of the Pocket Edge? Just clicking on them gets no response.
2. Is is possible to put password protection on the whole device? I might travel with the device and would like some protection if it is lost or stolen.

Last edited by Pudnhead; 07-06-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Pudnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
For #2, I downloaded the app "MySettings" and have set an overall "password" that is needed on start up, wake from sleep etc.

I say password because it's a swipe pattern, not a series of characters you enter. But it's the same idea.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
You can download an LCD-side reader such as Cool Reader that will read your text files. In addition, saving your text file as a PDF would allow it to be read on the e-ink side. I'm looking into the password question now (although I'm sure the pros on this site will be here shortly)
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
ken_jennings
eDGe User
ken_jennings has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
Hmmmm. I was going to say DocsToGo should open a .txt file, but when I tried opening a .txt file from within DocsToGo it offered the choices of opening with a ES Edit Note or HTML viewer.

(The HTML viewer displays the file fine, but again, it's a viewer and not a text editor.)
ken_jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Pudnhead

Thanks for your help. I'll try your iideas. I'm thinking more of reading text flies taken off my computer though wrtiting one now and then might come in handy. These are just short notes about things I keep on my thumb drive I'm surprised one of the apps on the device can't handle them. I guess I could convert them to Word documents and use DocsToGo, but that seems like a couple of steps that should''t be needed.
I'll have to check out "MySettings for security. Swipes might be more convenient than a password anway.
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
If you get CoolReader you can also use it to read epub and PDF at night on the tablet side.

BTW look in the main android forum to find where to get CoolReader (Sourceforge).
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to MobileRead, Pudnhead!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Pudnhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Pudnhead!
Thanks. I''m glad to be here. Nice place.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
let's assume you are trying to open "1.txt" on the root of sd card with the default browser.
1.launch the default browser;
2.key in "content://com.android.hmtlfileprovider/sdcard/1.txt" in the address box of the browser then go;
If 1.txt is not a ansi text file, change the encoding type in the browser to get a proper display.
then you can use the print to eink function of the default browser to read it on eink.
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
Pudnhead

Thanks. Actually, I've since found that I can open them from within DocsToGo if I choose the ES Note option. I can also edit them. Apparently, though, there's no simple text editor that would allow me to just to click on the file and open it.
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Last edited by Pudnhead; 07-01-2011 at 07:36 PM.