Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
How do I contribute $$ to support MR?

I'm not finding any links or pages. I truly enjoy this place, have learned so much and continue to get tons of information and entertainment here. I'd like to at least support it a bit.

???
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
That is a very good question, KennyC!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
It may be unneeded for whatever reason; I don't know the costs associated with a site like this. I've never seen the subject mentioned, though it certainly would be worthy.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
It may be unneeded for whatever reason; I don't know the costs associated with a site like this. I've never seen the subject mentioned, though it certainly would be worthy.
The costs can actually be somewhat significant, server, traffic and storage space....
Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
rePete
Connoisseur
rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Searching the site for 'contributions' just gave me Bob's post for how to submit news items for consideration on the site. PMd him with the query about $$ contributions so perhaps he will post directly.

I certainly agree that supporting the media we use and enjoy is a good use of our money. As this site grows it will take more volunteer staff to run it, and certainly same or upgraded servers. I'm fuzzy on bandwidth but I know watching the Eagles nest in northwestern Iowa get pretty slow with 150,000 simultaneous views at any given time.
rePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
In the Feedback area I asked if there is an Amazon affiliate link available. No replies so I guess there isn't one.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
How DOES MR pay for its costs. I don't see any ads.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
That's because you're logged in. All those that visit this site as guests see ads.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
There are Google ads on the Wiki - even for signed in members.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Mods are curiously absent from this thread, but that's an excellent question, Kenny!

I think the mods are paying for it all
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
kennyc

That's just cause they don't know either.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
rePete
Connoisseur
rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.

When I visited the Calibre site this morning there was a large "Donate" button you can use to support Calibre. I got a PM from Bob who said he'd check on it also: wouldn't be a bad idea to have a donate button in the forums somewhere - but it all goes to the same place, I recon.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rePete View Post
When I visited the Calibre site this morning there was a large "Donate" button you can use to support Calibre. I got a PM from Bob who said he'd check on it also: wouldn't be a bad idea to have a donate button in the forums somewhere - but it all goes to the same place, I recon.
What do you mean "it all goes to the same place?" The author of Calibre has no financial or ownership connection with MobileRead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
rePete
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean "it all goes to the same place?" The author of Calibre has no financial or ownership connection with MobileRead.
You are quite right. I had made an assumption. Bob corrected me also, and said he is still looking into it. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry for the delay, folks. But I've talked with the team, and wanted to share the result with everyone in this thread. It will eventually be added into the FAQ information as well.

First of all, thank you so much to those who have thought about and asked about financial contributions to the site. I can't tell you how much we appreciate that!

In a way, you might find the answer surprising, but probably not so surprising to those who have been with the site from it's early stages. This site is owned and funded and administrated and maintained by Alexander Turcic. He is the primary genius, talent and persistent force behind the site. He has always been much more interested in the site as a resource for all than any monetary benefit. His generous and kind nature shows up in so many ways. It sets the tone for the overall interaction here, it means that members see very few advertisements in the forum pages, and it shows up in the quality of people that are members, and even those who have become a part of the MobileRead team. But Alex would be the first to tell you that one person can't make this site great. Not even a team of moderators can make this site great. The team does its best, but all comes down to the great members here that make it work. We really have nothing without each of you, and you are what gives all of us find joy in spending time at MobileRead, and you are the inspiration that causes people to devote great effort in helping in the work. Many tend to get so focused on technology and subject matter that they forget in the end, it's always about the people. We don't ever want to forget that at MobileRead.

Okay, I'm sure I've thoroughly embarrassed our fearless leader, so let me move on to the main point. Here's the scoop on questions about financial contributions. I hope you will all receive this in the manner in which it is intended - it is not at all a "no thank you", and in all ways is a "thank you so much, and please consider this manner of helping"! So here's the gist of what will end up on the FAQ page...

Quote:
The desire of members to donate to MR is greatly appreciated, and is humbling. However, the best way to support MR, for now, is with your participation and by helping to support our ongoing goal to provide the best online forum experience related to e-book topics. We want very much to keep discussions friendly and helpful, and this can only happen with the help of all our great members. We delight to see you being helpful to others, taking time to bring newcomers up to speed, providing constructive feedback, contributing to book uploads or wiki entries, or gently and politely setting an example of good forum behavior... these are all great ways of contributing.
We can't promise that there won't be any future financial needs that require a request for help. But, honestly, this is really what we desire most - your participation and contribution and positive influence. Sharing your personality and knowledge and helpfulness is a powerful thing.

So again, thank you so much for the concern and desire to contribute, especially to KennyC for starting this thread! Thanks also to rePete for making me aware of the discussion. Of course, you can probably always find a few troublemakers that may cause us to pull out our hair sometimes, but you gals and guys are really great, and are all appreciated as a part of this wonderfully diverse bunch of people that truly inspire us.

Happy MobileRead-ing to all of you!!!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote