Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Andalusian_Wolf
Andalusian_Wolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Yet another pdf to mobi conversion problem (Calibre)

Hello,

I am sorry if this has been asked before, I have been unable to find such question on the board. I am trying to convert a pdf file into mobi format in order to render it readable on my Kindle. I am using Calibre which I am willing to try out on the grounds of the opinion that it messes less with the text and layout than Mobipocket Creator which I've been using so far (I have lots of scholarly books in pdf which I'd love to read on my Kindle, but Mobipocket messes a lot with the abundant footnotes and the like making it very unwieldy).
Unfortunately, what Calibre does, is convert only the cover (both front and back, i.e. the first and the last page of the pdf, which are also the first and the last location of the output mobi file), the table of contents and editorial data on the first two or three pages. The entire actual text (ca. 450 pages) is mysteriously lost and all I get is a mobi file of 29 locations. I would appreciate any thoughts on why this happens and how to prevent it. Thank you in advance.
Andalusian_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
That pdf is probably unsalvageable. In general the feedback I hear is a number of users prefer mobipocket creator.

Read further here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I still don't know the full issues and requirements but can you email the pdf to your kindle using your kindle-address? I don't recall if you have to put CONVERT in the subject line or in the body of the email for this to work or not.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Andalusian_Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moved to the Calibre forum.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
That pdf is probably unsalvageable.
This is what I fear. I will try and convert it with Mobipocket just to compare the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I still don't know the full issues and requirements but can you email the pdf to your kindle using your kindle-address? I don't recall if you have to put CONVERT in the subject line or in the body of the email for this to work or not.
Yes, I can. I did that several times, but in general I am finding out that the results do not vary very much from Mobipocket conversion. I was hoping that Calibre would be an improvement here.

Last edited by Andalusian_Wolf; 03-12-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: minor grammar tweaks
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andalusian_Wolf View Post
I was hoping that Calibre would be an improvement here.
You probably won't see much improvement until the New (under construction) PDF conversion engine is implemented. ETA unknown.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Andalusian_Wolf

Actually, I tried to convert it with mobipocket just to see what happens and the result was even more abysmal (some 10 locations). I guess there's nothing left to do with that particular pdf other than reading it on my PC screen.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andalusian_Wolf View Post
Actually, I tried to convert it with mobipocket just to see what happens and the result was even more abysmal (some 10 locations). I guess there's nothing left to do with that particular pdf other than reading it on my PC screen.
Why does it need to be converted to mobi? The Kindle supports PDF, have you viewed the PDF on your Kindle?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
Andalusian_Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Why does it need to be converted to mobi? The Kindle supports PDF, have you viewed the PDF on your Kindle?
Sure I have, I just don't think it's very comfortable unless you have a Kindle DX, which I don't.

Tags
calibre conversion error, kindle, mobi to pdf