Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wink Can you move books from pc to kindle via usb

Well I got a lot of free pd books on my pc that my friend with a kindle wants ,she say I have to email to kindle and they'll send to her? I said she just come over and I can load the on to her kindle via usb cable in 1/10 the time and no charge to her(amazon charges for email to the kindle?) I know you can not put the books in folders for organization , but I cant believe that you can transfer public domain text, mobi formatted to the kindle and back form the kindle via usb. Sorry for the newbie question but I use a Libre pro and usb transfers are a non issue . Thanks for any helpful posts.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You can now put books in collections, with names that you create.

Public domain titles, if they are in Mobi, can be transferred to the Kindles via a USB cable, no problems. I do it all the time.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You can now put books in collections, with names that you create.
Is that true if the Kindle owner has a Kindle1? I thought that was only for Kindle2 and DX.

Extra note: The OP didn't specify which kind of Kindle his friend had, so I thought I'd ask, just in case.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 06-26-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Hit that enter button too fast and had a late-breaking thought!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Wink Hey thanks for the fast reply one more thing though

Cool that would also apply to PG books in plain text file format or any other file format that kindle supports that are not drm'd . I knew she was goofing when she said that ebooks had to be loaded wireless not by usb on the kindle silly girls .
Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
Cool that would also apply to PG books in plain text file format or any other file format that kindle supports that are not drm'd.
If she (or you) isn't interested in converting them to mobi yourselves, you might check manybooks.net. That site has many of the PG books converted into various formats, including mobi.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Silly girl probably doesn't even know she has a USB cable. Tell her to grab the electric plug and pull away from base of cable.

Here is the Feedbooks Kindle download guide:
http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:32 AM   #7
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2bits View Post
Tell her to grab the electric plug and pull away from base of cable.
Again, this isn't true with a Kindle 1. It is true for K2 or DX.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
Cool that would also apply to PG books in plain text file format or any other file format that kindle supports that are not drm'd .
Although Kindle supports plain text files, keep in mind that the result is ... plain text. Each book will be just a single piece of text, with no proper titles, chapter headings, page breaks or other formatting.

A better option is HTML, where that's available (Project Guthenberg offers it as an option on many of its titles). The Kindle doesn't officially support HTML books, but if you change the extension to TXT, you can read HTML on the Kindle with all the formatting intact.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I do this all the time, but files work best if they are PRC or Epub. Get mobicreator (free download) to make a file into a PRC file, this is Amazon's native format. Of course, as others have said, the file must be DRM free to not give you trouble. Most Indie books are DRM free, but generally the big-pub $10 books are not.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Is that true if the Kindle owner has a Kindle1? I thought that was only for Kindle2 and DX.

Extra note: The OP didn't specify which kind of Kindle his friend had, so I thought I'd ask, just in case.

I assumed (and perhaps incorrectly) that the OP had a Kindle 2.

About your question: I have no answer on that, as I have no Kindle 1.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
bob1xxx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2bits View Post
Silly girl probably doesn't even know she has a USB cable. Tell her to grab the electric plug and pull away from base of cable.

Here is the Feedbooks Kindle download guide:
http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle

Yep
Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #12
bob1xxx
Zealot

Quote:

About your question: I have no answer on that, as I have no Kindle 1.

Don
Yeah your right its a kindle 2.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
FizzyWater

Quote:
Thanks...I only brought it up in case it was an incorrect assumption...turns out, your assumption was a good one!

But I jumped into a discussion on the K2, not realizing the opposite (that the charger and cable are a 2-piece unit for the K2, rather than one). So I just wanted to offer up the possibility that telling that to a K1 owner would just confuzzle the heck out of them!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
For K2 or DX, can I upload DRM free PDF files using wireless or USB?
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote